1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser Issue Adding URL to highlighted text

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by rwm1962, Aug 5, 2015.

1. rwm1962

rwm1962 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    eberkund likes this.
  2. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Well-Known Member

If you type the word curry and add more words after then hyper link curry you avoid the hyper link affecting the following words.

3. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

That sounds like a workaround you shouldn't have to do. Surely it's a bug if you can't add a link as you go along.

eberkund likes this.
  4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

A workaround is better than no workaround. Might be useful in the meantime.

5. rwm1962

rwm1962 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  6. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I agree totally, although I have not experienced the issue myself. I can't get the bug to happen, is it dependant on users operating system or browser?

Test: I'll write the word link and continue typing after I link. Not a problem.

7. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

We believe it's exclusive to Firefox.

Bionic Rooster likes this.
  8. rwm1962

rwm1962 Active Member

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is basically a Firefox issue and it's quite difficult to change the behavior. I am looking at partial workarounds for specific scenarios, but they're very much not straightforward and they end up being mooted if you move the cursor around. Strictly speaking, what FF is doing isn't wrong; it's just ambiguous. If you have a cursor at the end of a link, is it inside or outside the link? Both interpretations are correct. Chrome takes the view that you're outside; the effect of this means that you can't actually extend the link from the end (you have to move back a character). FF takes the view you're inside; the effect meaning that you can't write text immediately after the link (unless you can move into it).

Just for a point of note, I have managed to trigger this in each of the "major" RTEs as well; it's not exclusive to XF.