Add XenForo 2 Prefix to XenForo Suggestions Forum

Amaury

As there are no plans for a XenForo 1.6, that means that the next time we'll see more than just bug fixes—new features—won't be until XenForo 2.0.0 is released. And for those who are already making suggestions for XenForo 2 in hopes there's a chance that the feature suggestions will be features from the get-go, I could see adding a XenForo 2 prefix to XenForo Suggestions being really useful.

What would make you thing something that has been suggested two years ago not have a chance to make it into XF2? I personally don't see a need for it myself, as the way it will work, any suggestions not added when development stops on the 1.x series, they all inherently become suggestions for 2.x

What would make you thing something that has been suggested two years ago not have a chance to make it into XF2?

Where did I say that?

I'm saying that because there are no plans for a XenForo 1.6, any suggestions made after XenForo 1.5 was released that were approved by the staff would not be implemented until XenForo 2.0 is released. Suggestions made before XenForo 1.5 was released at least had the chance to be implemented in XenForo 1.5, and some were.

Right, so any open suggestions even if they are four years old, by default, become XF2 suggestions, since there is no further development planned in the 1.x series. ;)

I think a prefix for this is generally unnecessary.

Suggestions made in the past or future could make it into any XF version. We actually implemented a Suggestion in XF 1.5.9 that was made only a few weeks ago - by your logic that would have a XF2 prefix, which is incorrect.

It's also true that any suggestion made in the past, present or future, could be implemented in XF 1.5.X, 2.0, 2.1, 2.X, 3.X, 4.X etc. marking them for specific versions will just get confusing.

I've edited the title of your most recent suggestion, as, again, marking it for XF2 is unnecessary.

I think a prefix for this is generally unnecessary.

Suggestions made in the past or future could make it into any XF version. We actually implemented a Suggestion in XF 1.5.9 that was made only a few weeks ago - by your logic that would have a XF2 prefix, which is incorrect.

It's also true that any suggestion made in the past, present or future, could be implemented in XF 1.5.X, 2.0, 2.1, 2.X, 3.X, 4.X etc. marking them for specific versions will just get confusing.

I've edited the title of your most recent suggestion, as, again, marking it for XF2 is unnecessary.

Ah, okay. That makes sense, Chris. See, my feedback was based on how new features work, and I know that, at least from what I've seen these last few years, new features are only implemented in second-point releases, or at least that's what I thought. Now I've been proven wrong. ;)

Right, so any open suggestions even if they are four years old, by default, become XF2 suggestions, since there is no further development planned in the 1.x series. ;)

That's basically what I was trying to get at. Suggestions made after XenForo 1.5's release would not be implemented until XenForo 2 since there are no plans for a XenForo 1.6 and therefore there would be no more second-point releases in the XenForo 1 branch. However, suggestions made before XenForo 1.5's release always had the chance of being implemented in any of the XenForo 1 second-point releases.

However, per Chris' explanation above, I now see that my logic was flawed. My apologies.

Top Bottom