Add Permissions for Widgets

Please add widgets to the permissions system. I'd like to add a sidebar for guests only and currently cannot do so. I imagine there are many reasons for people needing the ability to display widgets based on user group...

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
There's two things that can help for right now.

1) Create the widget that you want, but don't assign it to a position. Give it a "widget key" for example "my_widget".
2) Create a new "HTML" widget in the desired position. Check the "Advanced mode" box. In the "Template" field type:
HTML:
<xf:if is="!$xf.visitor.user_id">
    <xf:widget key="my_widget" />
</xf:if>
That should give you the desired effect.

There's two things that can help for right now.

1) Create the widget that you want, but don't assign it to a position. Give it a "widget key" for example "my_widget".
2) Create a new "HTML" widget in the desired position. Check the "Advanced mode" box. In the "Template" field type:
HTML:
<xf:if is="!$xf.visitor.user_id">
    <xf:widget key="my_widget" />
</xf:if>
That should give you the desired effect.
I'm trying this - but I keep getting an error when trying to save #2...

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Template titles must be unique. The specified title is already in use.

Even if I don't have any title at all...

I'm trying to use this with an HTML widget. So does having the actual widget I want displayed AND they one using Advanced mode cause some kind of conflict?

Last edited:
Now my next question - is there a way to customize what displays in this specific widget so that it doesn't appear as the same as the sidebar on the main page?