Add-ons list suggestion

Jeffin

Overall I think the admin control panel has a good interface. Imho, you can still still improve on it to make it easier for admins or moderators to locate stuff. Anyway, I want to start off with the add-on list there. I love wordpress and how their admin control panel works. Their plug-in list is simply amazing. Under each plug-in, you have a brief description of what it does. It is especially important for people like who don't visit that page often. I tend to forget what each does and the description reminds me. Also, each plugin has a 'settings' link attached to it. I don't have to go to another place and locate where the settings link is.

Just to make it clearer for you here are the screenshots my xf add-ons list and my wp plug-ins list.

addon.webp

plugin.webp

Give add-on developers a great platform to work on and so much more can be done with xf. Apple appstore is a great example.

If someone's already posted a similar suggestion... oops. :rolleyes:

Upvote 18
I would definitely like to see a description line for each add-on listed on the manage add-on page. Would be rather simple to add in. I would like to see it editable by admins though, so they can describe in their own words what the add-on does, and to prevent some developers using it just for self promotion.

With an option to opt-out the descriptions, I'd love to see this implemented. If you don't rely on those descriptions, they only mess up the list and complicate the navigation.

For the "Settings" link, you might need an interstitial page if the add-on uses multiple settings groups. Also, what if the add-on added settings to groups it doesn't own? Just some things to think about when designing the results of this link.

Yes I like this too! It is kind of confusing to other Admins when you add a lot of Add-ons and some are enabled and others are disabled and with little information with no real description what it's for in the Add-ons list it can get confusing. I am sure the original admin who installed it may have retained the knowledge of everything it's mean to do hopefully. :p

Yes, please replicate as much from the way WP handles plugins/add-ons and upgrades as possible. It's just so easy to handle. I can upgrade all of my plug-ins in one click, I can update Wordpress in one click, and security updates are even installed automatically in the background without me having to do anything - it's magnificent :)

There are add-ons here on XF that helps, but they don't really work that well. For example the update check add-on, not very reliable. I still have to go through a bunch of add-ons each month in order to make sure I have the latest versions (not that I need any new features, but rather that I don't want to miss out on security updates).

Last edited:
Top Bottom