1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-ons list suggestion

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Jeffin, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

Overall I think the admin control panel has a good interface. Imho, you can still still improve on it to make it easier for admins or moderators to locate stuff. Anyway, I want to start off with the add-on list there. I love wordpress and how their admin control panel works. Their plug-in list is simply amazing. Under each plug-in, you have a brief description of what it does. It is especially important for people like who don't visit that page often. I tend to forget what each does and the description reminds me. Also, each plugin has a 'settings' link attached to it. I don't have to go to another place and locate where the settings link is.

Just to make it clearer for you here are the screenshots my xf add-ons list and my wp plug-ins list.

addon.jpg

plugin.jpg

Give add-on developers a great platform to work on and so much more can be done with xf. Apple appstore is a great example.

If someone's already posted a similar suggestion... oops. :rolleyes:

Mijo, AndyB, CoZmicShReddeR and 14 others like this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Great suggestion. As an add-on developer I completely support this and hope to see it in a future version (y)

3. vVv

vVv Guest

I agree.

Me too!

Jeffin likes this.
  4. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

I would definitely like to see a description line for each add-on listed on the manage add-on page. Would be rather simple to add in. I would like to see it editable by admins though, so they can describe in their own words what the add-on does, and to prevent some developers using it just for self promotion.

5. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Well-Known Member

love the idea

6. katsulynx

katsulynx Well-Known Member

With an option to opt-out the descriptions, I'd love to see this implemented. If you don't rely on those descriptions, they only mess up the list and complicate the navigation.

7. pegasus

pegasus Well-Known Member

For the "Settings" link, you might need an interstitial page if the add-on uses multiple settings groups. Also, what if the add-on added settings to groups it doesn't own? Just some things to think about when designing the results of this link.

8. CoZmicShReddeR

CoZmicShReddeR Active Member

Yes I like this too! It is kind of confusing to other Admins when you add a lot of Add-ons and some are enabled and others are disabled and with little information with no real description what it's for in the Add-ons list it can get confusing. I am sure the original admin who installed it may have retained the knowledge of everything it's mean to do hopefully. :p

DroidOne likes this.
  9. DroidOne

DroidOne Well-Known Member

Yes, please replicate as much from the way WP handles plugins/add-ons and upgrades as possible. It's just so easy to handle. I can upgrade all of my plug-ins in one click, I can update Wordpress in one click, and security updates are even installed automatically in the background without me having to do anything - it's magnificent :)

There are add-ons here on XF that helps, but they don't really work that well. For example the update check add-on, not very reliable. I still have to go through a bunch of add-ons each month in order to make sure I have the latest versions (not that I need any new features, but rather that I don't want to miss out on security updates).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016