Add-on Reviews in Resource Manager

Mouth

I apologise to add-on authors for not leaving reviews within Resource Master.
I find XF's policy too constraining/onerous, and enforcement of them damaging to add-on authors.

We feel that resource authors deserve to receive reviews and customers deserve to read reviews that consist of some substance and more than just a couple of words. Reviews which are little more than "Good job" or "Bad job" don't really give enough constructive feedback to the author and certainly don't give any value to fellow customers.

This leads to a situation where, particularly for "bad" reviews, it's extremely unfair to the resource author and for the other customers it doesn't provide enough context.

To avoid this situation we have a fairly modest minimum review length requirement, and a clear warning:

upload_2017-7-7_13-51-36.webp

Your most recent review was 94 characters. Instead of trying to just elaborate a bit on your good or bad points (which many people do) or even just adding "Thanks" on the end, you instead padded it out with "100 chars reqd.", despite a specific warning on the review page not to.

I apologise that we had to delete the review and give a warning but using that as the reason to no longer provide reviews which could be useful to resource authors and fellow customers alike seems a little unfair, IMO.

This was discussed a long time ago and it was already reduced to 100. The position on it hasn't changed and we don't see a need to change it.

The position on it hasn't changed and we don't see a need to change it.

It's always very important to review policy and if there's room for improvement based on customer feedback you should make those changes. Customer satisfaction is the most critical factor to a successful business.

I dont think its hard to write 100 characters for a review.
The problem with reviews is that there often is no way of knowing how the addon scores on specific aspects like code quality, features, support, price, etc.
There are addons that have excellent reviews because support is awesome, while code is problematic. Or vice versa. The reviews will not show this because you only need to give a general rating and a reviewer may give their rating based upon one aspect.
I do not think that resource reviews are very meaningful in their current format.
If specific aspects are rated then it will be clear where there is room for improvement and how addons compare.

There are addons that have excellent reviews because support is awesome, while code is problematic. Or vice versa.
How can a layman determine whether an add-on is written well or badly?

By imposing restrictions on writing a review, many people will not write at all.
Additionally, people can just post a review on the topics.

And because many people do not write an review for this reason, it's totally useless. What's very regrettable for the add-on makers, because he / she deserves positive messages, no matter how short.

Noticed a huge lack or reviews since that policy was introduced. I agree with the thought process XenForo has, just so happens that what that really means is people create less reviews (or at least thats what Ive seen). So whats better here: the most feedback or the most detailed feedback

he position on it hasn't changed and we don't see a need to change it.
I apologise to add-on authors for not leaving reviews within Resource Master.
I find XF's policy too constraining/onerous, and enforcement of them damaging to add-on authors.
When you write a positive 85 character review, and add a few 'padding' words of 15 characters to reach the limit, only to have the review deleted - that's damaging to add-on developers, and to other members whom may be interested in the add-on.

Noticed a huge lack or reviews since that policy was introduced.
Yeah, I'm aware some dev's now require positive add-on reviews to be created before they'll accept custom paid work on that add-on.
(Not related to my recent review attempt - which was because that add-on had no reviews at all since it was released 18 months ago and I thought it deserved better than that)

Last edited:
I apologise that we had to delete the review and give a warning but using that as the reason to no longer provide reviews which could be useful to resource authors and fellow customers alike seems a little unfair, IMO.
It's unfair to constrain reviews to 100 characters, when a 50 or 80 character review says all you need and gives the appropriate rating for the developer and other members. The considerable drop in reviews being created, suggests I'm not alone in this thought and many others find it onerous and constraining. Members can report reviews if they find them meaningless. It's not like they're particularly useful now anyway.

My position on this (not leaving reviews because of the constraint and apologising to add-on developers) hasn't changed and I don't see a need to change it.

I recognise the reason for your viewpoint, I just don't think the current policy and its black n white enforcement of it achieves the desired outcome for the benefit of developers and members, or XenForo

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm aware some dev's now require positive add-on reviews to be created before they'll accept custom paid work on that add-on.
(Not related to my recent review attempt - which was because that add-on had no reviews at all since it was released 18 months ago and I thought it deserved better than that)
That's against the rules:
Resource authors may not use any incentives to attract reviews to their resources. However, you may ask people to leave a review.
If you can provide details, that would be appreciated.

How can a layman determine whether an add-on is written well or badly?
That is exactly the point. If the reviewer cannot evaluate addon quality then it needs to be clear that such review has nothing to do with addon quality, but with whatever factor(s) they are rating.

Top Bottom