Add note to user profile / threads

Being able to have user notes is almost a must have for big boards. Thread notes would be a neat bonus. For user notes, it probably could be done via extending the existing profile posts without too many changes... same thing really, just with an internal flag so it's only viewable by mods/admins (and on it's own tab).

A user note feature would be very useful if it was part of a larger, centralized system, like the report center.

The user note function in vb had the major weakness that it was not centralized and thus there was no way for staff to keep track of user notes. No one is going to notice if you post a new user note to one profile, while a website may have thousands or even hundreds of thousands of profiles. It can take years before anyone encounters the user note.

I hope that XF will implement a much more useful way of handling staff user notes and staff user alerts.

Pretty much all websites have threads in their staff forum to post and discuss staff comments about specific users. Some sites use one thread for this, some sites use one thread for positive comments and one thread for negative comments, some sites use multiple threads (one per user)

A user note system should be centralized, so that staff can easily follow whats going on and even get alerts about important community matters.
I suggest that user notes should be visible within the report center or something similar to the report center. User notes should also be accessible from user profiles.
Staff should be able to reply to a user note, so matters can be discussed thoroughly.

It would be valuable to be able to include a severity level, so that all staff can be immediately alerted about issues with high severity, while only staff related to the issue/forum area need to be alerted about low severity issues.
There is quite a difference between a user note about a member repeatedly posting low content and a user note about a user being embroiled in a wide-scale forum riot or who leaves a suicide message.

Often user notes are related to warnings and support requests. Therefore user notes should be connected to the related warnings / reports.

They are different suggestions as one refers to an admin notepad in the ACP and this refers to a notepad moderators can access.

Ah, yeah I wasn't 100% sure myself if they talked about exactly the same thing :rolleyes:. (Note to self: next time, when in doubt, take a :coffee:) :

I would like to add that the lack of this feature implies data loss when a website migrates from another platform to XenForo.

I would like to see a feature where moderators can add comments/notes to an userprofile or to an thread.

These infos would be visible for moderators only - not for ordinary users.
These could be notes like "keep an eye on this thread because of content XY"
I'd like to see that too.
Being able to have user notes is almost a must have for big boards. Thread notes would be a neat bonus. For user notes, it probably could be done via extending the existing profile posts without too many changes... same thing really, just with an internal flag so it's only viewable by mods/admins (and on it's own tab).
a frontend version please.
I would like to add that the lack of this feature implies data loss when a website migrates from another platform to XenForo.

Hello,

We just released an addon for this: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/usernotes-for-the-staff.1819/

Have a nice day,
- The EL Team

I'd like to revive this because I think it's pretty important that we have a system for moderators to save and recall user notes. They are invaluable on AVForums, enabling us to build up a history of users so that we can better judge how to react if they break the rules, and also notes about traders if they are potentially dodgy.

I would like to see this suggestion implemented in some form or another (though I'm not quite sure how.)

Initially, I thought suggesting the Custom User Fields feature be extended to permit a hidden staff-only field would be most appropriate, but it's clear from this thread there may be other ways to implement a user "note-keeping" feature.

Suggesting this gets re-considered for v2.2. Preference would be for the function to support a user thread for the mods usage, and not just to simply inject notes.

It would benefit moderators to see notes / past moderator discussions on a user exist. If so, display an indicator on the users avatar similar to the online status indicator, only displayed to the moderators of course. This would be especially helpful to new moderators coming up to speed, making that content more readily available to them without having to query other mods or closed mod area forums currently fielding such user issue discussions.

Last edited:
Somehow tie it to the warning system, which also lets us leave staff notes about members. The notes we leave in the WS should also be part of this, perhaps in one larger system of Notes, where they come from different areas but are compiled here.

Alerts are key. I want an alert when a mod leaves a note. And warns too but that's a different suggestion.

Yes please!

It would be great for Mods to leave notes within thread that only they could see.

Currently we do that by "unapproving" the post that we want to keep private, but it's a bit of hack to it that way.

For example, this is what we currently do:

Post 1: Player complains about something
Post 2: Mod replies "we'll look in to it"
Post 3: Mod leaves note for other mods "this guy is a pain in the ass" - but un-approves the post so only staff can see it.
Post 4: Mod replies "okay, we fixed it for you"

So the user only sees 3 posts, but moderators see all 4 posts.

A built in feature would be awesome!

Last edited:
My thread below was moved as a duplicate to the closed suggestions forum, but I think the extra detail in my OP will help to sell the suggestion, hence linked to here. Please upvote the OP in this thread.

Whilst there is already an add-on for User Notes on a profile, I'd agree that such a feature for a THREAD alongside would hugely improve moderator productivity. As it is, all we have is tools that distance the comments from the thread itself - such as either Posts in a Private forum or a group conversation between affected Mods - either of which runs the risk of being overlooked when at the thread itself. It's of particular relevance in a big board with a big team of Moderators - any one of several may find themselves attending to a thread and needing ready access to any history that it has beyond actual visible posts. Upvoted.

Top Bottom