Add Cloud Storage?

Mutterz

I am thinking of switching from Phpbb to xenforo but would like to know if it is possible to add BackBlaze B2 as storage for attachments? I am currently using the demo but don't see any settings for this. I looked at some addons, but they are paid, and I'm not sure if they would work or are what I'm looking for. Any advice would be helpful.

It's possible but it's not enabled out of the box, so it would require some custom work similar to what is required for S3.

I have used B2 with XenForo using the Amazon S3 connector as mentioned above. Backblaze added s3 compatible api endpoints a while ago. It works fine. You might need to use CloudFlare to get a nicer URL iirc. But it works fine with XenForo.

Or just use Linode with their block storage. Much simpler, faster too, than using a third party to pull attachments.

block storage is available at other hosts as well. digitalocean has it for instance. there are performance and reliability benefits. but it is not really worth it to migrate to one of these platforms if you are already happy with your existing host. self managed hosting solutions can be a pain if you are running a popular website.

one another benefit of using s3/b2 type service is that migration from one platform to another is pretty straightforward. moving your forum files and database is a pretty simple experience if all your heavy data is already offloaded to a third party service that you can continue to use after moving to a new host.

For large storage, Linode is expensive.
For example, I would like to use the Resouse addon to store large files larger than 1GB. In this case a dedicated server would be better.
My site uses 110Gb storage, and like I said I saved $40/mth moving from dedicated to Linode + Block. Not sure what comparison you're using to determine otherwise. For storing and delivering 1+ Gb resource files, you're better off using - dedicated or cloud/vps - object storage.

Yes for large forums.
One site I manage has 1.4TB of attachments.

That's $140 on Linode for just the storage + main server + bandwidth cost, etc..
Instead we just use Hetzner Dedicated server that cost only $102 USD with 2 x 3.84 TB of storage.

Last edited:
Yes for large forums.
One site I manage has 1.4TB of attachments.

That's $140 on Linode for just the storage + main server + bandwidth cost, etc..
Instead we just use Hetzner Dedicated server that cost only $102 USD with 2 x 3.84 TB of storage.
Dedicated server is much batter for large forums.
As per your host specs.
Is is nvme ssd storage?
Very unlikely.

SSD block storage is around $10 per 100Gb. Is that expensive to you?
Dedicated server at Hetzner provides
  • 2 x 8 TB HDD
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X .
  • Ram 64GB DDR4 ECC .
  • 1 Gbit/s-Port .
  • Traffic usage, Unlimited
Price: $60 USD Monthly

For more info click here

That's why I say it's expensive.

If possible I would like to use the MinIO software, with this you can create your own server similar to Amazon S3 Object. But unfortunately I still don't have the knowledge to do it.

but it is not really worth it to migrate to one of these platforms if you are already happy with your existing host. self managed hosting solutions can be a pain if you are running a popular website.
I call nonsense to this. You will pay a fraction of the cost than managed hosting, and once its up and running, you don't have to touch it. I haven't touched my server in years since doing a major upgrade to it. Even that, was all straight forward, I only had the site offline for about 15 minutes while the server itself updated, all the hosting software can be updated on the fly and restarted. The only downtime is if you screwup something, but that shouldn't happen if you do a practice server first.

Its faster than any host I've ever used around the world, bang for buck.

I call nonsense to this. You will pay a fraction of the cost than managed hosting, and once its up and running, you don't have to touch it. I haven't touched my server in years since doing a major upgrade to it. Even that, was all straight forward, I only had the site offline for about 15 minutes while the server itself updated, all the hosting software can be updated on the fly and restarted. The only downtime is if you screwup something, but that shouldn't happen if you do a practice server first.

Its faster than any host I've ever used around the world, bang for buck.
If you've got a dedicated server that you haven't "touched in years", please let us all know the site, as I don't want ANYTHING to do with it. Any admin that ignores updates to their OS and core structure for years is a hazard to their users.
Even using Ubuntu LTS as a server platform, it still has regular security updates that need to be installed.

If you've got a dedicated server that you haven't "touched in years", please let us all know the site, as I don't want ANYTHING to do with it. Any admin that ignores updates to their OS and core structure for years is a hazard to their users.
Even using Ubuntu LTS as a server platform, it still has regular security updates that need to be installed.
I'm assuming he means hardware, as he specifically mentioned updates in the post.

Top Bottom