1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum is for release discussion only. Discussions that do not relate specifically to the resource release should be discussed in another, more appropriate forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Add clock to footer

Discussion in 'Template Modifications [Archive]' started by Trombones13, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Simply put, this adds the date and time to your footer. Clicking it will take you to the Preferences page, where you can change the time zone.
    (Note: I'm hoping to adjust it to make it to show just the time once I figure out that code.)

To install, go to <ul class="footerLinks"> in the "footer" template, and add the following code before the </ul> tag.

Code:
    <li><a href="{xen:link 'account/preferences'}"><div class="time muted">{xen:datetime $datetime, 'absolute'}</div></a></li>
    Then...you're done. :D

Please note that this is my first modification (ever), so if there's something you notice that can be made easier, let me know. :)

XF_Footer_Clock.png

2. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

Way to go man !

Trombones13 likes this.
  3. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Great Work.. I actually like the date included..

4. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'd actually recommend against putting the current date/time anywhere on the page, for reasons I won't get into right now. Let's just say it might disadvantage you at a later date.

5. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Uh-oh... :( Should I recommend uninstalling for now, then?

6. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

No, it's fine for now. Just bear in mind that there's a reason we haven't included one by default :)

7. Ruven

Ruven Well-Known Member

Let the rampant speculation begin!

8. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Don't all computers already have a clock either in the menu bar or task bar?
    Not sure you why anyone would need to see the server time.

9. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

I once had a review to post but it had an embargo on it, so I waited until the embargo time to post it - but I never noticed that the server time was off by a few hours, so it looked like I broke the embargo - and the company who gave me the game to review weren't happy

10. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

So what if we keep it for now and when some new anything gets released here, we can remove it before upgrading?

11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's just a template edit so it can be removed at any time.

HydraulicJack likes this.
  12. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

Thanks Brogan.

13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

What's the reason? Time Zones?

14. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

It's been over a year, can you let us in on the secret? LOL

khena25 likes this.