Add cancel button to quick reply

No it was the auto-draft, it only happened the once a couple of months ago but hasn't happened since, I don't even remember what site I was on when it happened.

My suggestion is to replace the delete drafts menu with a cancel button (like we have on quick threads) that clears the editor window and deletes the saved draft:

View attachment 228729
I think it is not necessary because as pointed out in the "Assorted improvements" HYS the draft is cleared if you empty the contents of the editor. If you simply don't want to post anything, you can always just navigate away without doing anything?

Last edited:
I think it is not necessary because as pointed out in the "Assorted improvements" HYS the draft is cleared if you empty the contents of the editor. If you simply don't want to post anything, you can always just navigate away without doing anything?
Not the same thing at all.

Emptying the contents of the editor requires the following steps:
  1. click in the editor window
  2. type CTRL-A to select all text (or right mouse click and choose "select all")
  3. hit delete (or right mouse click and select "cut")
Clicking the cancel button takes exactly one click.

Also, for a novice user, navigating away and then returning to find your old post still there can be confusing and I have even had a user inadvertently post a reply which included an old draft they didn't realise they had saved (I know - how could you miss it? but they did!)

A cancel button which deletes the draft for us is simple, intuitive and helps novice or less technically savvy users to avoid surprises.

It costs us virtually nothing to add a small cancel button there.

We already have a cancel button on quick threads - why can't we also have one on post replies?

No, it really doesn't.
So we have a cancel button for creating a new thread, we have a cancel button for editing a post, so we request a cancel button for replying to a post and this is the response? We've purchased this software to use and a simple addition has been requested, that several people also want, is just dismissed?

Our users have requested this and I find value in such a feature as well.

Newbie here! 👋

Just transitioned a large forum from VB4 over to XF 2.2. Getting lots of confused PMs, posts, notes, etc about why there is an "unintended" reply in the text box. I myself keep having to hit the backspace (not knowing how/when I quoted someone) and would love to have a cancel button!

You are right - from a "technical" view. But its 2020. There are a lot of new forum members, which expect the whole internet working like facebook, instagram and co. They do not know anything about ctrl-a + delete, they simply do not understand the "logic" behind using a forum software (or using an editor or using anything beyond facebook).

So, we have two options: The cancel button. Or answering a lot of "how can I cancel a reply" questions ;)

Its not a big deal but would be a nice improvement.

Its hard enough to explain, how to upload photos (NOOOO, there is no "share it with forum xxx" button..) ;)

Top Bottom