Add cancel button to quick reply

How do you deal with it saying cancel before you have started typing? Cancel what? Nothing is there? It would make sense to appear when you revisit and the text is there as a draft. Then, it is not cluttered and when you return you can wipe out the text easily, if that is the main issue here. Otherwise I have to echo the others in, why do you need a button? Just leave.

Three buttons is too many. If it's there after the draft is saved sure, I'm on board. Let users "cancel" the draft since the floppy is not intuitive. So sure it has my vote to remove a draft otherwise, just leave the page.

To be clear: I don't think the cancel button should be in the editor itself (where the Preview button has moved) - I think it would work better next to the Post reply button:

View attachment 227985
Three buttons is too many. If it's there after the draft is saved sure, I'm on board. Let users "cancel" the draft since the floppy is not intuitive. So sure it has my vote to remove a draft otherwise, just leave the page.
Actually since Preview is moving up to a tab they just made room for it. Interesting :)

No one knows about the Floppydisk icon.
Agreed. Though almost nobody (including myself) does need that anyway.

It needs a nice big button next to the Post Reply and Preview buttons
Nope. If I do not want to make a post I just don't make a post, I do not need a butten that furhter cluters the interface on already constrained screens.

And then when you come back to the page your text is stil there!

Not if autosave is doing its job. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to post in thread and found a draft sitting there.
So? That's perfectly fine, if I leave a thread because I do not want to reply (now) I could just do so, come back later and continue with the text I already had begun.
Or I could start over.
Or I could just do nothing at all.
For none of those options a button would be needed.

The ability and mechanism to delete a draft is not intuitive for non-power users.
Hmm, I honestly never had support questions about that.
IMHO it's a no-brainer: If there is autosaved text that I do not want to be there I just remove it, how more intuitive can it get?

I strongly disagree. A cancel button is not needed at all and would make an already crowded place even more crowded.

Cancelling a post can easily be done by just leaving the page.

@Kirby

From your point of view, you are certainly right and I can understand that.
But you overlook the view of users who are not programmers. For them, logic is something different than for you as a software developer. This is why "modern" interfaces come that hardly any normal user understands because the logic behind it is only accessible to power users and developers.

A "normal" user has already done something that he has to "cancel" if he has entered text (...) in the editor, developers see it differently. Btw. once you have clicked on "save", it would be meaningless to "cancel", since it should then mean "delete".

How do you deal with it saying cancel before you have started typing? Cancel what? Nothing is there?
From the perspective of "normal" users: If you click on "Cancel" when something is in the editor, "empty" the editor content. If there is nothing in the editor, do nothing.
To understand that you have to be able to put yourself in the perspective of normal people as well as in the perspective of developers.
This also raises the question of priorities.
developers develop more for developers, or for "normal" people who find the logic behind code difficult to understand.

From the perspective of "normal" users: If you click on "Cancel" when something is in the editor, "empty" the editor content. If there is nothing in the editor, do nothing.
Still the question stands: Why would you need a button for that?

This is already possible by just emptying the editor (be it via Ctrl-A, backspace, selecting all text with the mouse, etc.).
I really don't get why that would be non-intuitive? AFAIK every editor known to mankind allows you to delete text/content using backspace.

I love the way the text editor holds on to text, it has saved me a ton of retyping over the years, But.... it has also caught me out loads, normally on a quote reply, and I don't notice that some half-finished out of context post extract is there above the quote until its too late.

When you are throwing a few eff's at someone and then calm down and forget they are there in the editor then ...oops I can't be the only one to have done that a few times these last years.

Last edited:
I don't need a button for it. :)
But I can understand and accept users who need something like that because they just feel better when they can "cancel" an action that has started, even if they actually don't have to. But many don't even know that.
This is already possible by just emptying the editor (be it via Ctrl-A, backspace, selecting all text with the mouse, etc.).
I really don't get why that would be non-intuitive? AFAIK every editor known to mankind allows you to delete text/content using backspace.

I have often noticed that in your views you assume too much what you can and what is important to you.
For many users, keyboard shortcuts are unknown things, but you need them to be able to use them.
As a developer, however, you should never lose sight of the needs of your users, even if this sometimes seems annoying and redundant ... ;)

Backspace isn't (what I'd call) a keyboard shortcut, if it was the key for letter A would also be one ;)

So still I am unable to understand why there would be need for a button if there already is a simple key (not a shortcut that needs to be memorized!) on the (virtual) keyboard that can achieve the same and doesn't waste additional, valuable screen space.

So still I am unable to understand why there would be need for a button

i know, as i said before, your horizon as a developer got a tunnel vision. Other (addon) developers have that here too. ;)

However, good sellers usually have a lot of success if they can combine as many wishes as possible of the customers in their product. Ice cold logic is only excellent with code.

I can see where many are coming from in here when it comes to having or to not having a cancel button.

I myself have gotten irritated at the auto draft feature bringing in text from another thread where I decided I just wouldn't reply (I even cleared the editor of text itself and the draft still showed up in another thread).

But I also love the draft feature. Maybe I want to take some time before I finish my response as if it's a debate so it's not in the heat of the moment or something like that.

I'm on the side of just adding a button down next to the post reply button. The preview button is already being moved into the actual editor itself so why not use the space it once occupied as a cancel post button?

I myself have gotten irritated at the auto draft feature bringing in text from another thread where I decided I just wouldn't reply (I even cleared the editor of text itself and the draft still showed up in another thread).
If that really does happen, it should be reported as a bug as it must never happen hat drafts appear in threads they do not belong to.

Top Bottom