[No thanks] Lose the avatar next to quick reply

AndyB

Every time I'm viewing a thread, I get to the last post and see my avatar next to the quick reply. This always confuses me because it looks like I made a post in the thread which I know I have not.

Wouldn't it be better to remove the avatar next to the quick reply?

Upvote 1
I think the reply box should be separated more from the previous posts. A simple <hr> might work for me. Above the line is about existing posts. . .below is about a new post. Which means the Facebook "like" stuff should also be above the line.
I'm kind of seeing your point, but doesn't the pagination separate the reply and the thread?

The idea of having the avatar next to the quick reply box is to feel like you're already a part of the discussion, if we move them too far down it won't feel like that any more because we will be separated by the Facebook Like, pagination, etc.

I dislike it intensely. It makes me think I have posted when I havent.

Separation and the other things just dont come into it when you are quickly scanning threads - its a big avatar in exactly the same place as a post, same general layout, background, everything. Very confusing.

At the very least it should be optional to turn it off.

I dislike it intensely. It makes me think I have posted when I havent.

Separation and the other things just dont come into it when you are quickly scanning threads - its a big avatar in exactly the same place as a post, same general layout, background, everything. Very confusing.

At the very least it should be optional to turn it off.
You get used to it after a while, but I agree there should be an on/off switch for the admin and/or user.

I personally like the the placement/feature. As stated previously by others it makes you feel that you can be part of the discussion and brings in a social element to a non posted area, I'm sure it entices others to post as it has done for me where otherwise you would have probably just glanced and left as it as done now and in many other instances. It's prity straight forward right off the bat and ties in with the quick reply perfectly.

I like it but if the avatar was taken away, I wouldn't miss it. It is taking space that could be used to make the editor wider.

I like it but if the avatar was taken away, I wouldn't miss it. It is taking space that could be used to make the editor wider.

Taking space (which in itself I don't find a problem at all ... in fact the QR box has exactly the same width as the posting now! Even the Advanced Editor has a smaller size... so I am not sure why the QR box needs to be even bigger, as it is now perfectly sized to begin with) doesn't out weight the bigger reasons why it is beneficial on social platforms to have your avatar there, IMHO. :)

I honestly believe it would be boring without it.

Simple template edit to remove it though, not like anyones forced to use it if they choose not too. 

The text editor should always be exactly the same width as the post body to help with precise layout and formatting.

The text editor should always be exactly the same width as the post body to help with precise layout and formatting.
That's not a goal I have - these are forum posts after all, and are subject to the whim of the administrator's style preferences, which could change at any time.

An editor for articles or pages being laid up by the administrator is a different matter.

That's not a goal I have - these are forum posts after all, and are subject to the whim of the administrator's style preferences, which could change at any time.
I understand your point, it's just something I will have to do for my forum.
Out of interest, are there only 2 places in the CSS where the post editor width is defined; one for the quick reply and one for the advanced/new thread editor?

An editor for articles or pages being laid up by the administrator is a different matter.
What do you mean by "laid up by the administrator"?

I understand your point, it's just something I will have to do for my forum.
Out of interest, are there only 2 places in the CSS where the post editor width is defined; one for the quick reply and one for the advanced/new thread editor?
Strictly speaking there are just two, but you'll see three widths in use:
  • Editor in dedicated form (post reply, new thread etc.) - constrained by our form container
  • Quick reply editor without sidebar
  • Quick reply editor with sidebar
What do you mean by "laid up by the administrator"?
I'm talking about content where the markup and text is created by the same person who has control of the style system, so they have complete control over the appearance of the resulting page.

Thanks Kier, it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the widths of the editor then.

Although I suspect the width element will have to be applied directly to the template as any change in the css will affect other areas of the site (e.g. xenform).

Either that or create some new css.

Top Bottom