Add cancel button to quick reply

When you say your members can't cancel a post are you perhaps talking abut the text that is saved in the editor? Because if you click the floppy disk icon you can delete the draft. Or are you looking to clear contents with a button before they are saved as a draft?

I can see the rare instance a cancel button would be helpful but it makes me think about all of the posts that will be lost over time when it is easier to press cancel instead of to put more thought into what you are trying to say. Any button that makes it easier for people to not contribute is the last thing a forum needs.

To cancel a post: 1) click inside editor 2) press ctrl/cmd A to highlight all 3) press delete 4) done

When you say your members can't cancel a post are you perhaps talking abut the text that is saved in the editor? Because if you click the floppy disk icon you can delete the draft. Or are you looking to clear contents with a button before they are saved as a draft?
No one knows about the Floppydisk icon.
It needs a nice big button next to the Post Reply and Preview buttons

I strongly disagree. A cancel button is not needed at all and would make an already crowded place even more crowded.

Cancelling a post can easily be done by just leaving the page.

Not if autosave is doing its job. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to post in thread and found a draft sitting there.

Because if you click the floppy disk icon you can delete the draft.

The default ribbon for mobile drops the floppy disk. I edited it on my own forum to put it back, but given that it isn't on here I assume that losing it on mobile is the default.

I strongly disagree. A cancel button is not needed at all and would make an already crowded place even more crowded.

Cancelling a post can easily be done by just leaving the page.
And then when you come back to the page your text is stil there!

That's called a draft is is supposed to be there. It's supposed to let users finish posts later.

Last edited:
And then when you come back to the page your text is stil there!
You can just get rid of drafts or set to less time to save or higher time for composing.
Save drafts as messages are being composed (Yes/No) <-----------
  • Store drafts for X hours
  • Save drafts every X seconds
If enabled, drafts will be periodically sent to the server and stored to allow users to resume working on their messages later. Disabling this will also disable the automatic checking for new messages when composing a reply.

Drafts are useful for people who know how to use them.

They are confusing to people who don't.

Disabling or making them less useful isn't the solution.

I'd like to see a simple "Cancel" icon next to the "Post reply" button which deletes any saved drafts.

It could be a style option which means that people can turn it off if they don't want to use it - everyone wins.

If you disable the auto-draft you can still save a draft with the floppy disk icon. Also win-win if auto-draft is annoying but drafts aren't. ;)

If you disable the auto-draft you can still save a draft with the floppy disk icon. Also win-win if auto-draft is annoying but drafts aren't. ;)

Auto-draft is important to prevent people losing their work.

I don't get why people argue so vehemently against something that could easily be made an option? It's one button added to the UI. If you don't like it, turn it off.

Top Bottom