ACP -Message Options

Ryan Kent

A helpful member of my website was making a "How-To" post which included many screenshots and details. When he went to submit the post he received an error message due to the post length (exceeded 10k characters) and excessive images (over 20).

I understand my options. Either the user can break his post down into multiple posts, or I can adjust the forum's Message options. My question is...does it matter which? If a user makes two 7k word posts, or one 14k word post, is there anything within the forum that is affected? I have the same question for images. If a user adds 30 images to one post, or 15 images to two back-to-back posts, is there any difference?

It doesn't really make a difference.

However, if you allow 15k characters and 100 images, you could theoretically have a page of 20 pages, containing 20*15k (300k) characters and 2000 images. The limit is mostly about preventing abuse.

If disk space matters to you, then allow the user to make the extremely large first post.
Splitting it into different posts will result in more database storage as it'll store the content of each post.

But it's trivial, really... IMO anyway.

With regards to images, it will only make a difference depending on how you have the lightbox configured; whether to show all images on the page or just from that post.

For page loading speed, it will be the same.

Edit: Double ninja'ed! :o

Top Bottom