XF 1.4 Account upgrades recurring payments - do they continue for banned members?

They would, mostly because that's something that is on the payment processor side. You would need to cancel it there.
When you say it's on the payment processor side, you mean it creates a recurring payment in, by default, Paypal?
And when a member cancels their subscription, it cancels it via Paypal's API?

That's a bit of a problem, Mike, because once banned, people can't cancel their subscriptions because they are denied access to their account (something which might have some legal ramifications?).
Also I'm not notified when people are banned as it's something the senior moderators do. Daily in the case of spammers, and less often in the case of regular members, but still often enough to cause potential problems.

I think something needs to happen to deal with this. Maybe when someone is permanently banned, either their subscription is automatically cancelled. Or a notification is sent to admin so they/I can do it manually.

We will discuss about the possible creation of an add-on that would cancel recurring subscriptions of banned members of permanent way.

I don't know if this is possible, I submitted the idea to our coder.

So does this use the same method of API access to create a recurring payment can be used to cancel it?
Then it should as soon as the user is denied use of the thing for which they have payed.

You can cancel a members subscription via the paypal account that they're paid into. I cancelled ALL subscriptions on our old forum via Paypal.
Manually, yes. What I'm saying is that the subscription is created automatically, and I think it should be cancelled automatically also when appropriate. Which is certainly at the point when the user is denied access to their account when it is deleted or banned.

Just to note, that's a reference to something in the NVP API. We only use IPNs which is one way (PayPal to the server). Thus, there really isn't any other option than to disable the payments manually.

I'd put in your terms or on the account upgrades page that for recurring upgrades, they have to be cancelled by the user. That could take the liability off you in terms of needing to issue a refund if they do forget to cancel. In my opinion, paid members are generally the type of members to not get banned. Though I do understand the concern.

Alternatively you could also email your users when they get banned and remind them to cancel. In addition you could do this as well:

I guess we could have some kind of admin alert sent when a member of a particular type of usergroup is banned.

I think a combination of these things would be sufficient.

Top Bottom