XF 1.2 A New Editor and Much Much More

I've never hidden my frustrations with XF 1.1's editor (which is based on TinyMCE). In 1.2, we have entirely removed the existing editor and replaced it with a new one based on Redactor:
ss-2013-05-17_12-21-49.webp

So obviously this looks quite a bit different--and I know plenty of people didn't like the 1.1 editor look--but the functionality is there. So what advantages do we have? Well there are various ones:
  • Much lighter code and faster to load. Redactor depends on jQuery and benefits from that.
  • When pasting, most formatting is removed (though some is kept). However, if you're pasting from one XenForo editor to another (or within the same one), all formatting is maintained.
  • White space is maintained for code tags when pasting from Webkit. This was an annoyance for a number of people here, myself included. :)
  • The overlays are now consistent with overlays elsewhere in XF.
  • Generally, from my perspective, the code is much more adaptable to our needs.
  • A bunch of other things I'm going to detail below...
For the most part, the editor simply shouldn't get in your way so in a sense, you shouldn't actually see much different for the average post.

How about some other bigger changes?

Pasting images
If you use Chrome or Firefox and have an image in your clipboard, you can simply paste it into the editor. It will automatically be uploaded as an attachment if possible. If the upload is successful, this works exactly like uploading an image and then clicking the "full image" button.

Note that in Chrome, the image data must be in your clipboard (such as from pressing print screen). In Firefox, you can either have image data or you can copy a file that's an image and paste that.

Drag and drop uploading
Provided your browser supports it, you can now drag files into the editor to upload them:
ss-2013-05-17_12-37-47.webp

@User tagging
While not directly related to the editor change, this is probably the best time to mention it. You can use @Mike style syntax to tag users in a post:
ss-2013-05-17_12-39-42.webp

Tagged users will receive an alert when they're tagged.

You can obviously turn off tag alerts, but as an admin, you can also limit the maximum users that can be tagged per message as a permission. (So you could disable it for registered members and only allow premium members to tag, for example.)

Alternative smilie inserting approach
The smilie dropdown really didn't work well with a lot of smilies. Clicking the :) button will now do this:
ss-2013-05-17_12-42-10.webp

This is now making a call to get the smilies and lays them out with a template. This opens up the possibility for more organization options (though nothing has changed as of this message).

Auto save drafts
While you are typing a message, every X seconds (currently 60), a draft of your message will be saved. If you reload the page later, your message will be automatically re-shown. Drafts will be automatically pruned over time.
Each draft is associated with a particular piece of content, such as a thread, forum, or conversations. A draft reply that you start working on in thread 1 will not be shown to thread 2 and so forth.

Display if messages have been posted since you started your message
Tied into the auto-saving, when you're writing a reply to a thread, we will check to see if any new messages and display a note if there are. You can then display those new posts without reloading the page.

Oh yeah, one more thing on the editor, it's fully responsive:
ss-2013-05-17_12-49-20.webp

That should be a hint... :)

So, when are we going to see this all? Well, we're hoping to have 1.2 running here on XenForo.com in early June. The initial beta release will follow, based on how well the time on 1.2 goes. The final release of 1.2 would be wholly dependent on how the beta process goes.

Wow..... Mike and Kier just can't win here, can they. They add a new editor and a group of people is up in arms because it doesn't suit the style... they change it and most of the same people are now complaining about that. Seriously guys, it's not like you can't adapt it when you get your hands on it. Does it really need this much complaining?

Wow..... Mike and Kier just can't win here, can they. They add a new editor and a group of people is up in arms because it doesn't suit the style... they change it and most of the same people are now complaining about that. Seriously guys, it's not like you can't adapt it when you get your hands on it. Does it really need this much complaining?

People HAVE to have something to complain about. It is as simple as that. It's a MUST.

I think that summed it up, really.

That complaining certainly helps to have a better product.
Only Wow, OMG it's wonderful, the best since sliced bread , etc. does not help to improve the product.

I agree constructive criticism helps... constant whining, however, doesn't - especially when an alternative suggestion isn't made.. just the "we don't like it.. it's too bright, too faded, too dark, too light, new members won't be able to use it".. etc etc etc

I mean seriously.. new members won't understand how to use it? Are they really that stupid? If new members are really so incompetent, then I have to ask how the first ever forum managed to get members beyond registration stage . . .

/end rant.

I agree constructive criticism helps... constant whining, however, doesn't - especially when an alternative suggestion isn't made.. just the "we don't like it.. it's too bright, too faded, too dark, too light, new members won't be able to use it".. etc etc etc

I mean seriously.. new members won't understand how to use it? Are they really that stupid? If new members are really so incompetent, then I have to ask how the first ever forum managed to get members beyond registration stage . . .

/end rant.

I don't like it ... because... it's "too dark".
What should I suggest to change ? Isn't the hidden suggestion obvious?

I don't like it ... because... it's "too dark".
What should I suggest to change ? Isn't the hidden suggestion obvious?

It's too dark?.... Are we looking at the same editor?... *stares at the pale blue editor in some confuzzlement*

Seriously though, can't you see the problem here... you're now requesting the fade gets removed.. which was how it was originally . . ..... vicious circle springs to mind at this point.

It's too dark?.... Are we looking at the same editor?... *stares at the pale blue editor in some confuzzlement*

Seriously though, can't you see the problem here... you're now requesting the fade gets removed.. which was how it was originally . . ..... vicious circle springs to mind at this point.

Sorry, I wanted only to quote your whinge.
Actually I do not have any problems yet with any of the colours.

Well, I think we want all to see a good default theme, because we simply love XF and we wish to see the best, thus you guys should sort between complaints for the sake of complaining, and feedbacks which generally are helpful ; even if some are not that constructive, they still helps to build an overview on how customers feel toward the editor.

That's said, previous editor style was rather good, but the bold and double gradient effect was kind of odd and more importantly did not match the default theme : it's a fact.
New version is now properly integrated, they did a good job. We should be happy they listen to customers.

However, it's also a fact, the contrast between light blue/black is kind of aggressive to the eyes. I feel like they add a fade effect because of that.
About the fade itself, I'm not sure, It appears as interesting as unnecessary. It doesn't bother me, but if it offers more problems than expected, it would be better without.

Last, I've tried (note I totally suck at it, just a random try) to apply a different background color to see the result (border should be probably more visible, the grey a bit lighter).
We could say many things about previous tinymce and previous redactor style, the grey appears really more natural and soothing for the eyes.
It's just a fast example, I did not say we must use that, just a feedbakc since it's really the only part which is kind of uncomfortable to eyes.

2013-06-15_13-35-31.webp
2013-06-15_13-34-44.webp

Last edited:
I like the new look and I really like seeing Kier active again. Hi Kier!:)(y)

I have to agree with some of the comments about the fade though. My first thought was, "what's up with the faded editor? Am I logged out? Why can't I post now?" I guess that is because, usually a faded element in most UI's means something isn't available to use. Thus, why the fade isn't really useful and could cause confusion.

Scott

I think this could be fixed if a text similar to "write here your message" is added as default.

again: you should differentiate between "complaining" and customers providing feedback and do their brainstorming.

In the end you need to think about your Forum-users and how they will react to this fading-effect.
I do not have an issue with the fading-effect for me personally, but I do have a Forum for older people and I am sure that the fading-effect will confuse them.... the result will be even less Forum-posts, therefore this feature is counterproductive fore my Forum. If you have a Gaming-Forum for 14-year old kids, then this feature is probably "geeky" and "cool".

Generally speaking, I think the "default XF software" should not use the "fading effect" as it does not provide any "value add".
Anyway, the developers will decide on it.

If the developers decide they want to have this feature in their "default XF software", the ideal solution would be to build an "option" into ACP so that each webmaster can decide if he wants to "enable" or "disable" this feature.
I am quite sure K+M will be able to create such a checkbox in ACP, so that every webmaster can select their preference with just one click....

:)

Last edited:
again: you should differentiate between "complaining" and customers providing feedback and do their brainstorming.

In the end you need to think about your Forum-users and how they will react to this fading-effect.
I do not have an issue with the fading-effect for me personally, but I do have a Forum for older people and I am sure that the fading-effect will confuse them.... the result will be even less Forum-posts, therefore this feature is counterproductive fore my Forum. If you have a Gaming-Forum for 14-year old kids, then this feature is probably "geeky" and "cool".

Generally speaking, I think the "default XF software" should not use the "fading effect" as it does not provide any "value add".
Anyway, the developers will decide on it.

If the developers decide they want to have this feature in their "default XF software", the ideal solution would be to build an "option" into ACP so that each webmaster can decide if he wants to "enable" or "disable" this feature.
I am quite sure K+M will be able to create such a checkbox in ACP, so that every webmaster can select their preference with just one click....

:)

Remove the fade and just release it as an add on is my preference.

I'm happy with the editor either way and I'll look at styling it to suit my needs.

I can see the argument from both camps, those that say 'just style it to suit' and those who want it styled so it doesn't need much/any changing out of the box.

We have a wide range of Xenforo admins, both here on the forums and those who don't venture near this community (which is a shame as it's great to be part of and there are lots of helpful folk here :) ) There are those who are very capable both at using the forum software itself but also at coding and writing add-ons. There are those who are happy with many aspects of the forum software but aren't coders and need help at times to sort stuff out. There are also those who have limited knowledge of Xenforo and need help with much more stuff.

For those of us with at least some capability, styling the text editor, using regex expressions to configure which characters in usernames are permitted, making template modifications and using extra.css to get things how we want them isn't a big deal - we either know how to do this already or can find out through asking here or searching on the 'net. For some people though this may all be a bit too 'techy' for them and we do need to consider then as well as our own capabilities (or lack of!) we're giving feedback on Xenforo developments. :)

You're right @Martok , but you forget those whom just want to make XF better, not for personal reason, just for the sake of the community/XF ; because they feel like there is something which could be improved. Personally, I'm in all camps, I can style for my need, but I'm really lazy and would like to be ready out-the-box, and since I love XF I'm trying to give honest/partial feedbacks because it's simply a product I care. That's said, it's for sure not easy to make everyone happy and If I would advise something is to keep the editor as neutral as possible (you can be sure finding resources related to editor soon enough).

Top Bottom