A few questions

IcedTea

Hello xenForo team. I've put around $250 away as I need to purchase a hosting script (I'd like to take my forum out of vBuletin 3.x.x)

I've been researching the matter for months, from BB2Nuke to vBulletin 4.2.x (vBulletin 5 is still in beta, so I don't want it on a live website). However, after playing around with the xenForo demo for quite some time, I believe xenForo would be a remarkable move for my community, although I do have some problems.

• I am constantly hearing of a "Law Suit" which restricts xF from doing lots of things. I've heard although the xenForo team won't give in, there is a chance they might fight themselves bankrupt, in reality, is this a liable?
  • How customization is xenForo? I know plugins are around, but are they able to be fully customized? With vbulletin a plugin can do basically anything, if you have the brains to pull it off. Does xenForo restrict plugin use?
  • What does xenForo have that vBulletin doesn't? As per the usual shopper, I would instantly look at vBulletin and Invasion Power Boards and see they are more expensive. That should mean they're a lot more jam packed, but I'm more than prone to surprises
  • How long has xenForo been in development? Wikipedia tells me since March 2011, but I never believe Wiki's.
  • What version of the Zend Framework is XenForo working from?
  • How does the xenForo community compare to that of vBulletin? vBulletin has 489,359 members at the time of writing, whilst xenForo has 19,892
If all of those questions could be answered, I'll definitely make the move.

Hello xenForo team. I've put around $250 away as I need to purchase a hosting script (I'd like to take my forum out of vBuletin 3.x.x)

I've been researching the matter for months, from BB2Nuke to vBulletin 4.2.x (vBulletin 5 is still in beta, so I don't want it on a live website). However, after playing around with the xenForo demo for quite some time, I believe xenForo would be a remarkable move for my community, although I do have some problems.

• I am constantly hearing of a "Law Suit" which restricts xF from doing lots of things. I've heard although the xenForo team won't give in, there is a chance they might fight themselves bankrupt, in reality, is this a liable?
  • How customization is xenForo? I know plugins are around, but are they able to be fully customized? With vbulletin a plugin can do basically anything, if you have the brains to pull it off. Does xenForo restrict plugin use?
  • What does xenForo have that vBulletin doesn't? As per the usual shopper, I would instantly look at vBulletin and Invasion Power Boards and see they are more expensive. That should mean they're a lot more jam packed, but I'm more than prone to surprises
  • How long has xenForo been in development? Wikipedia tells me since March 2011, but I never believe Wiki's.
  • How does the xenForo community compare to that of vBulletin? vBulletin has 489,359 members at the time of writing, whilst xenForo has 19,892

• It is a possibility.
  • Very. It has a very well thought out core. It is more extensible than VB.
  • It has nothing to do with Internet Brands, that is a big win! It also has many avid, sometimes cult like, supporters. I've been here since the start.
  • Over 2 years.
  • 1.x
  • Quantity is less than quality. The XF community is great, just understand it could all end due to the lawsuit. Just fyi, my forum runs on XF and I own 4 licences.

I know you already have a good reply but hey more is better when getting info.

COURT CASE My thorough analysis here
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-questions-before-purchase.42541/#post-459060

CUSTOMISING - A dream compared to VB. XF is totally designed to handle addons. It has "hooks" in the code where developers can plug them in. As a humnble admin I can insert my own extra template very easzily. Plus on upgrade there's a special protection system for changed CSS, changed templates.
ADDONS VB has a LOT of dead mods. XF addons are almost all alive and well supported. Fast!
STARTED Xf started out Oct 2010.
Zend dunno.
COMMUNITY XF community is the sharpest most cooperative online community I know apart from mine! I come here not only as an admin re software but to observe the community it is so interesting and vigorous. A sign of its health is in spite of the legal gloom we're still vigorously at work (and play). Excellent mods by the way but also some really powerhouse people (like me!)

Missed one

What does xenForo have that vBulletin doesn't? As per the usual shopper, I would instantly look at vBulletin and Invasion Power Boards and see they are more expensive.

Yes VB has a nazsty licence structure and I didnt get on wIth IPB either.

XF - sleek, stable, adaptable to die for.
Users love it - it's addictive - we get complaints about that!
Good SEO
Admin side is pretty good cdertainly FAR better than the other two. It's not hard to reach anything and it's pretty logical.

Downers:
There are a few secondary items not covered due to frozen dev. But nothing (for me) that isnt covered by addons. See my addon tutorial.
I do find permissions a bit complex but thats because they are SO flexible and powerful. I do get stuck in them but there's always fast help here.

Some of the addons are just dreamy - nodes as tabs for example, or login as user.
The mods here don't separate core support and addon support. If they know an addon - and they know lots of them - they help support it - luxury.

I know you already have a good reply but hey more is better when getting info.

COURT CASE My thorough analysis here
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-questions-before-purchase.42541/#post-459060

CUSTOMISING - A dream compared to VB. XF is totally designed to handle addons. It has "hooks" in the code where developers can plug them in. As a humnble admin I can insert my own extra template very easzily. Plus on upgrade there's a special protection system for changed CSS, changed templates.
ADDONS VB has a LOT of dead mods. XF addons are almost all alive and well supported. Fast!
STARTED Xf started out Oct 2010.
Zend dunno.
COMMUNITY XF community is the sharpest most cooperative online community I know apart from mine! I come here not only as an admin re software but to observe the community it is so interesting and vigorous. A sign of its health is in spite of the legal gloom we're still vigorously at work (and play). Excellent mods by the way but also some really powerhouse people (like me!)
Thank you for the vast amounts of information. The more the merrier :D

Missed one

Yes VB has a nazsty licence structure and I didnt get on wIth IPB either.

XF - sleek, stable, adaptable to die for.
Users love it - it's addictive - we get complaints about that!
Good SEO
Admin side is pretty good cdertainly FAR better than the other two. It's not hard to reach anything and it's pretty logical.

Downers:
There are a few secondary items not covered due to frozen dev. But nothing (for me) that isnt covered by addons. See my addon tutorial.
I do find permissions a bit complex but thats because they are SO flexible and powerful. I do get stuck in them but there's always fast help here.

Some of the addons are just dreamy - nodes as tabs for example, or login as user.
The mods here don't separate core support and addon support. If they know an addon - and they know lots of them - they help support it - luxury.
Exactly what I was looking for. I think I might have to complain about addiction once or twice :p

Top Bottom