1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A $1000 prize contest - discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Floris, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Floris

Floris Guest

While building up a community on XenForo I've been given a budget of around a $1000 to use for first, second and third place prizes.

While working on some possibilities like an iPad 2nd gen (it's not until March 2011) or some gift certificates from some stores. It's all fun and games, but .. besides the obvious possibilities, what do you think on a tech site might be good prizes?

Think outside the box please :)
    Nix likes this.
  2. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Stuff that isn't made by Apple... :cool:
    Dragonfly, Alex, Puntocom and 2 others like this.
  3. kilcher

kilcher Active Member

I'm a fan of cash. What better than allow people to buy whatever it is they want? Might not be the most effective though, for some reason it's kind of boring.
  4. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Vouchers for Amazon?
    Nix and Trombones13 like this.
  5. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

If its for tech, Newegg would be better.
  6. Floris

Floris Guest

I wrote cash & newegg on the list. Though it's not really outside of the box.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

helpful answer :rolleyes:
  8. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Good one tho. :)
  9. maidos

maidos Active Member

yeah no apple they are overpriced anyway. what about just 1000 cash
  10. Puntocom

Puntocom Well-Known Member

Suscriptions to related sites (for example SeoMoz)
  11. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

A holiday, as part of the launch of my forums im sending someone to Japan :D
    Puntocom, Sean S and Nix like this.
  12. Sean S

Sean S Active Member

I would say go with something like Slavik mentioned :). There is nothing better and memorable than travelling somewhere nice. These days tickets and hotels are much cheaper than before if you book way in advance.
  13. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Something a lot of people want but don't have - an SSD comes to mind.
  14. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

Cezz, Walter and Caelum like this.
  15. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

LOL good one.
  16. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

Xenforo licenses ;)
  17. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

We bought 100 T-shirts from crazychicken (for about $5.00 each-various sizes) with our site logo and gave them out as prizes. They lasted a LOOOOOONG time. Also a great way to promote the site.
  18. John

John Well-Known Member

Perhaps seed money for someone to use to start their own site or funding for someone to use somewhere at like GetACoder.com ?
  19. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

XenForo licenses would be the first logical thing that comes in mind. Other ideas would to be check with XenForo style designers to give away possible custom designs or maybe a gift card type offer.

You could also have items like USB flash drives, lanyards, mouse pads, etc with the sites name and or logo printed on them. These types of items make perfect items to either give away or sell to all members not just 1st, 2nd, 3rd prize winners.
  20. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Flip recorders are pretty awesome....