• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would sure like to see a weather block - I've seen it on other sites, just not seen a shared module offered up yet...maybe I missed it.

There is the myRSSParser add-on/module for XenPorta that you could use with a weather RSS feed, and you've got a weather block on your portal page. :)

Hello Jaxel. If i try to import the Adsense Module i do get this error
Please enter a value for the required field 'setting_value'.

Guessing, one of the module settings is empty in the AdSense.xml file. Try editing AdSense.xml by finding </adsense_adslot> and adding some number so you have 5</adsense_adslot> and then see if it imports.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal) v1.2.4 CHANGELOG
  • Default values and descriptions are no longer required for module settings.
  • Added support for a "textarea" format of module settings. Use this as you will.
  • Added a GOOGLE ADSENSE module block!
  • Layout of the recent news module has been fixed.

I see a 'X' and a 'O' in layout area for each module.. how to use?

please elaborate upon the 'textarea' format and where to find.

regards.

Hello Jaxel. If i try to import the Adsense Module i do get this error
Please enter a value for the required field 'setting_value'.
The new datawriters for this mod permit blank setting_value fields... you should ALWAYS upload the new files before you run the upgrade script.

I see a 'X' and a 'O' in layout area for each module.. how to use?

please elaborate upon the 'textarea' format and where to find.

regards.
X exports the XML, O clears the cache.

"textarea" is in the format setting of the module xml file. If a setting is set as textarea, it will show a text area.

X exports the XML, O clears the cache.

"textarea" is in the format setting of the module xml file. If a setting is set as textarea, it will show a text area.

So we are talking about XML file edits .. can we ADD an additional setting to provide text area or do we edit existing settings?
have an example?

So we are talking about XML file edits .. can we ADD an additional setting to provide text area or do we edit existing settings?
have an example?
You can do whatever you want... thats the whole point. However, settings have a 255 character limit.

I will now experiment...
cool.png

Would this still work like this
portal = domain.com/
If forums are forums.domain.com/
media = media.domain.com/
events.domain.com/

thats the only 3 i use from you :)
think this can be done?

I've been thinking about this quite a bit. One of the things I like in IPS and in xfrocks wordpress proxy mod is the ability to promote a forum post to an article. But to keep it fully integrated, the article needs to use the Forum as the discussion engine (comments and forums posts linked together and mirroring each other), otherwise you fragment the discussion about the article.

This is a different option.

Jaxel, what do you think is the feasibility of being able to flag posts in the forum to be displayed in XenPorta instead of only having it only pull from a specified forum? That could turn it into something a bit more like a CMS, with the actual content and discussion all being in the forum. Esp if there was a way to show a "Categories" based archive that would bring up lists of past "Articles". Basically it would show the forum names for forums that posts have been promoted from, and clicking on the "Category" name would bring up the list of those "Articles".

I know this is quite a bit more complex than the existing system, but it would greatly extend the system's usefulness, making it a viable substitute for a CMS like Wordpress or Joomla. And ALL the content would be in the XF forum system... :drool:

While that's an interesting idea, having a specific forum allows you to modify the template to make replies look more like traditional comments. If the articles were all over the place you'd lose that ability.

I'm totally fine with that. The whole idea is to be able to leverage great content created by the community to generate articles for the front page. Google loves changing content on the homepage of a domain, and if the excerpt is long enough to give the search engine a feel for what it's about, and the link leads back into the forums, into a content area (read as a forum) that covers the same type of content... It would be very good.

I want to see our members have a sense of accomplishment when *they* produce something that hits the homepage. If I copy/paste it to the frontpage, it's not really their's anymore. Plus I want people who hit the home page to see that the community is alive and engaged. I want them to think "Wow... That could be me. I could get my questions answered, and someday maybe I'll be the one who's project makes the front page!"

Why draw an artificial line between the portal (New and Announcements or whatever the designated forum is) content and comments, and the rest of the forums? Just so it looks like Wordpress/Blogger?

I say: XF is engaging and sophisticated. It's a wonderful interface, let's celebrate it and really leverage it to promote our communities!

I've been thinking about this quite a bit. One of the things I like in IPS and in xfrocks wordpress proxy mod is the ability to promote a forum post to an article. But to keep it fully integrated, the article needs to use the Forum as the discussion engine (comments and forums posts linked together and mirroring each other), otherwise you fragment the discussion about the article.

This is a different option.

Jaxel, what do you think is the feasibility of being able to flag posts in the forum to be displayed in XenPorta instead of only having it only pull from a specified forum? That could turn it into something a bit more like a CMS, with the actual content and discussion all being in the forum. Esp if there was a way to show a "Categories" based archive that would bring up lists of past "Articles". Basically it would show the forum names for forums that posts have been promoted from, and clicking on the "Category" name would bring up the list of those "Articles".

I know this is quite a bit more complex than the existing system, but it would greatly extend the system's usefulness, making it a viable substitute for a CMS like Wordpress or Joomla. And ALL the content would be in the XF forum system... :drool:
This would definately be doable, and very easy... as long as I only permit the promoting of THREADS (not posts). Would this be good enough for you?

I'd be good with that. I can see where coming in at an arbitrary point in a thread could cause a problem with commenting etc.

In general the OP would be what we'd want to show anyway, and if, for whatever reason, the article worthy post is in the middle of a thread, it should probably be spun off into it's own thread anyway. I need to really talk to Susan about this a bit, but I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. I'd just LOVE to have all the work we put into front page articles being directly in the community (forums), as well as being able to give some of the great threads members have created the recognition they deserve! :)

It would also reduce a lot of the complexity if we handled the homepage this way rather than using wordpress. :)
Pure XF-FTW!

Would this still work like this
portal = domain.com/
If forums are forums.domain.com/
media = media.domain.com/
events.domain.com/

thats the only 3 i use from you :)
think this can be done?

nvm i tryed it didn't work. I even tryed to chdir the files without luck, Dam shame i wanted to use your mods :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom