• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I uncheck the box mentioned, there is no extra /forums/ in my URL.It also does not show up when checking out regular threads or posts, just on the list of forums/nodes.

Would it not be possible to somehow come up with a solution that does let XenPorta act as the landing page, but without the additional /forums?
There is no additional /forums!

XenPorta does not create an additional /forums!

I've said this a dozen ****ing times on this page alone! And people wonder why I hate giving support!

And people wonder why I hate giving support!

I noticed. You in turn might have noticed I only sent in a donation for one of your mods.

But tell you what. If this is how you think you should deal with people who did contribute for your work, I'll be sure not to make that mistake again, and in the future to stay away from your add-ons.

I noticed. You in turn might have noticed I only sent in a donation for one of your mods.

But tell you what. If this is how you think you should deal with people who did contribute for your work, I'll be sure not to make that mistake again, and in the future to stay away from your add-ons.

Surely you can understand the frustration with answering the same questions again and again. He's answered the question 3 or 4 times on the last page or so and people are still complaining.

More often than not the conversation goes:

"Something looks wrong, help me fix it!"
"You edited the CSS, change it back."
"I never touched the CSS."
"You edited the CSS, change it back"
"Oh, you're right, I edited the CSS."

If I had the time I'd help start writing a basic FAQ for Jaxel's mods as the majority of questions are the same again and again and he's understandably sick of answering them.

I would like to know this as well, if someone could please guide me on how to remove the dates from the featured post :)

Search the thread. If Xenforo's built in search isn't help, use Google to search just this thread.

I'd recommend downloading Firebug and using it to inspect the page elements and play around with the CSS.

You should be able to easily find the date in the EWRporta_Block_RecentNews template.

Actually its more like this....

"I'm getting an error when submitting a video in XenMedio!"
"Whats the URL?"
"You have to fix this!"
"Whats the URL?"
"It's just some random video."
"Whats the URL?"
"All other videos work!"
"Whats the URL?"

I **** you not... I've had this same exact conversation with at least 10 different people. So it's not even like its just one random person being an idiot... its a lot of people.

Surely you can understand the frustration with answering the same questions again and again. He's answered the question 3 or 4 times on the last page or so and people are still complaining.

I saw TWO replies by him on the page in question. Two.Not 3 or 4, and certainly not half a dozen as he himself claimed.

It's fairly simple. I asked a question, and apparently was not the only one with the issue. Rather than actually just providing an answer, he posted one short comment that "not me who dunnit", and left it at that.

I did some more testing, and yes, Jaxel's reply was in fact accurate. My issue did not dissappear by unchecking the box as I claimed in my second reply (which was made at work, based on what I thought I observed last time).

I'm still not going to bother with his add-ons anymore, though. I'll explore the Wordpress road instead of XenPorta instead, and save him from getting so overly frustrated with having to deal with other people.

If it was me making a living off of mods, as every add-on he makesstart stating, I would actually be more supportive of those I'm hoping will pay my bills, though. But that's just me...

I saw TWO replies by him on the page in question. Two.Not 3 or 4, and certainly not half a dozen as he himself claimed.
I said a dozen (12), not half a dozen (6)... its called a hyperbole.

And answering the same question 4 times in the past 2 pages... for an issue that has NOTHING to do with XenPorta is extremely excessive.

XenPorta does not create a /forums/ subfolder... YOU DID.

All XenPorta does is move the forums from /index to /forum, and puts the /portal at /index.

If you have /forums/forums, its because YOU installed XenFORO (not PORTA) to the /forums/ subfolder. This is native to XenFORO and has nothing to do with XenPORTA.

Sure you can... its how I have it on my forums.

Install xenforo to the ROOT. When you view your forums, you have your forums in the forums subdirectory because you installed xenforo to the forums subdirectory. As I said, the extra forums in your url has NOTHING to do with xenporta.

Like I said, 3 times.

He also didn't post "one short comment", he explained exactly what you were doing wrong and how to fix it. Twice.

jaxel.schmitzIT.calm.webp

c'mon people.
Let's everyone simmer down now. (I read in Psych 101 that pink walls in prisons calm inmates down so I hope my image relaxes everyone) :)

Let us not forget these are complicated issues we are dealing with here.
And, what is crystal clear for one person, might not be so clear for others.

Both SchmitzIT and Jaxel are excellent members so let's let bygones be bygones.
Thank you.

If the truth be known the whole /forums/forums issue has confused lots of people.

I also feel that this is another casualty of attempting to do everything that xenporta needs in one thread. It is simply inadequate to support an addon with just one thread. Is even one person surprised that the same questions and problems pop up again and again ? Unfortunately, xenporta needs more than just one thread, but that is all that is provided here at xenforo.com thus far. Let's hope for better times ahead (Warning: the first iteration of the resource manager will only have one thread !) :rolleyes:

Other issues such as: no way for addon makers to easily identify donating members, no structure for documenting, no way for the community to help document, the lack of a payment mechanism at xenforo.com, lower than ideal number of members contributing ... all add up to frustrations here and there.

Regardless, I see great times ahead. It would just be nice if it was tomorrow ... and not "someday". Patience is a virtue (which is often in short supply in these busy times).

So:
(1) Thank you Jaxel for your hard work (creating, documenting and supporting Xenforo and Xenporta).
(2) Thank you SchmitzIT for your great plugin and supporting XenPorta.

More often than not the conversation goes:

"Something looks wrong, help me fix it!"
"You edited the CSS, change it back."
"I never touched the CSS."
"You edited the CSS, change it back"
"Oh, you're right, I edited the CSS."

If I had the time I'd help start writing a basic FAQ for Jaxel's mods as the majority of questions are the same again and again and he's understandably sick of answering them.
GUILTY AS CHARGED

Why did Jaxel not just open a new thread where only he ist posting his announcements.
I think this is a first step.
I would name this thread something like: [Jaxel] XenPorta Announcement thread

Yeah.. if you're tired of hearing the same questions repeatedly you might consider making a forum/site for your mods with a FAQ?

Throw some advertisements on that B, make people register to get your mods and BOOM you got money and less questions... Well, hopefully less haha.

Problem solved :)

It's customary for the add-on author to provide relevant information in the first few posts: changelog, version history, basic usage instructions, etc.

Jaxel chooses not to do so.

He has stated numerous times that he hates giving support so anyone installing any of his mods should bear that in mind.

Nothing is stopping anyone else from doing another FAQ in the same vein as this one: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenatendo-users-guide-faq.16006/

It's customary for the add-on author to provide relevant information in the first few posts: changelog, version history, basic usage instructions, etc.

Jaxel chooses not to do so.

He has stated numerous times that he hates giving support so anyone installing any of his mods should bear that in mind.

Nothing is stopping anyone else from doing another FAQ in the same vein as this one: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenatendo-users-guide-faq.16006/

All of the information is in this thread. If XF allowed you to easily search within a thread a lot of these problems wouldn't come up.

I've really been meaning to try to help compile an FAQ as XenPorta is superb and running the risk of arguments like this getting in the way would be awful, but it's just the time needed to search through this thread manually.

If a few people got involved I'm sure as a community we could get something done :-)

Part of the problem is people's unwillingness to read through the thread, with the reason usually given because it's so large, and therefore keep posting the same questions over and over.

The reason the thread is so large is people's unwillingness to read through the thread and therefore they keep posting the same questions over and over.

Threads such as this mirror the forum as a whole though.
The same questions get posted on new threads all the time because people are unwilling to search or read through existing threads.

I must have answered some questions/threads about 100 times or more by now.

That is the nature of forums (and people).

Part of the problem is people's unwillingness to read through the thread, with the reason usually given because it's so large, and therefore keep posting the same questions over and over.

The reason the thread is so large is people's unwillingness to read through the thread and therefore they keep posting the same questions over and over.

Threads such as this mirror the forum as a whole though.
The same questions get posted on new threads all the time because people are unwilling to search or read through existing threads.

I must have answered some questions/threads about 100 times or more by now.

That is the nature of forums (and people).
Maybe if Jaxel isn't interested one of his fans of his mods might be interested in putting together a FAQ. If I had time I'd be happy to try to do it because it helps me learn how the mods work optimally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom