• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

8WayRun.Com Modifications for XenForo

XenAtendo ideas

Is it possible that when you enter a new event ... the admin could have some options ?
(1) create a thread in any forum they want dealing with this event ... with a link back to the calendar item ?
(2) the option of triggering an alert - for IMPORTANT events only ... Admins: don't abuse the alerts or their effectiveness will be lost (The admin who cried Wolf syndrome). Should the Alert drive traffic to a thread or the event item ?

Other ideas:
Agenda view ... this is a listing of all upcoming events with dates in chronological order. This is often more useful than a calendar view, as most forums don't have that many events. Having an empty Calendar is depressing. Possibly if there is less than X agenda items (say 10? in Next 60 days ) then Agenda View is the default view ?

Should it be possible for regular users to be able to make event submissions, and admins and mods could approve the event ? The event wouldn't appear on the calendar unless approved. The original poster might receive a message about the result of their submission.

For events, should there be an option for a wiki entry as an Event Document ?

If the event item was "Thinktank: Xenforo Beta4 planning" .. Maybe the wiki could be for people to add things they feel are a priority ?​

Maybe people could "Subscribe to this Event" and be reminded via an: Alert or Twitter or Email ... x [hours, days] before the event ? user definable options of course. If you subscribe to an event, should there be an option to auto-"Watch" the event's forum thread ?

Should Events have an RSS option ?

Should there be the option for Private events ?

XenAtendo ideas

Is it possible that when you enter a new event ... the admin could have some options ?
(1) create a thread in any forum they want dealing with this event ... with a link back to the calendar item ?
(2) the option of triggering an alert - for IMPORTANT events only ... Admins: don't abuse the alerts or their effectiveness will be lost (The admin who cried Wolf syndrome). Should the Alert drive traffic to a thread or the event item ?

Other ideas:
Agenda view ... this is a listing of all upcoming events with dates in chronological order. This is often more useful than a calendar view, as most forums don't have that many events. Having an empty Calendar is depressing. Possibly if there is less than X agenda items (say 10? in Next 60 days ) then Agenda View is the default view ?

Should it be possible for regular users to be able to make event submissions, and admins and mods could approve the event ? The event wouldn't appear on the calendar unless approved. The original poster might receive a message about the result of their submission.

For events, should there be an option for a wiki entry as an Event Document ?

If the event item was "Thinktank: Xenforo Beta4 planning" .. Maybe the wiki could be for people to add things they feel are a priority ?​

Maybe people could "Subscribe to this Event" and be reminded via an: Alert or Twitter or Email ... x [hours, days] before the event ? user definable options of course. If you subscribe to an event, should there be an option to auto-"Watch" the event's forum thread ?

Should Events have an RSS option ?

Should there be the option for Private events ?
1 - there is no "calendar", this will just be dated events built into threads, with an "Agenda View" at the top of the event forum, and possibly in XenPorta. Because of this, there is also no "event item". I could easily make so that you can make an event thread in any forum you want, but I would rather not like that, and I'm sure most wont want it either. Not to mention because you need to add a query on each thread in order to search for an linked event; if you had this system global, instead of on a specific forum, it could add a bit of lag.
2 - no plans
3 - already planned
4 - that would be thread moderation
5 - the next version of EWRcarta has a [wiki] bbcode. You can use that as your first post.
6 - already planned
7 - no plans
8 - definately no plans. The idea of an Event RSVP system is to generate PUBLICLY for events, having a PRIVATE event violates that. But, you could technically do this very easily by making a private forum and defining it as an event forum.

Jason, have you thought about coding an embedded map for XF? I know you have alot on your plate for sure. But I would really like to see a map where, each member that enters their location in their profile, can find themselves on the map.

Would you consider something like this? Or is there something out there already that can be used for this purpose?

That's what its called when you use something like Google maps to map users locations... I've used in a few software's before... all as additions to it, but allowing users to enter their physical location for tracking purposes, usually controlled by member privacy on who they want to see their location.

I don't think that's what I'm talking about.
You could do what you want to do very easily...

Just create a page with a GoogleMap on it, and trawl through your user database for their locations and apply their locations into the map. Of course you would need to do some customization to it, so that only users who have been active in a certain time period would get trawled, otherwise you would be polling thousands of rows...

Then you could do some other cusotmizations, like having a user pinned on the map by their avatar...

Its not something I plan on doing anytime soon... but possibly in the future.

Okay... I need you guys to try and break this:
http://xen1.8wayrun.com/events/8-on-the-break.1/edit

Notice the date/time settings, and the timezones... Try different settings and see if the timestamp generated is wrong. You can use www.timestampgenerator.com to check it. Right now its working for everyone I've spoken to in the US, but outside of the US is very different.

Also notice the 'thread_title' that is automatically generated after you click submit. See if you can break that too.

when I click ... [save]
Code:
Array
(
    [event_title] => The Break Weekly #87
    [event_venue] => 8 on the Break
    [event_address] => 340 North Avenue
    [event_citystate] => Dunellen, NJ 08812
    [event_strtime] => 1291770000
    [event_endtime] => 1291791600
    [event_timezone] => America/New_York
    [event_stream] => http://www.ustream.tv/channel/8wayrun
    [thread_title] => [7/12/10] The Break Weekly #87 (Dunellen, NJ)
)

Okay... I think I have the thread views pretty much completed...
http://xen1.8wayrun.com/forums/event-forum.5/

You can click the "Post New Thread" button and see how the event creation system works. Right now there is no front-end for the actual event system... there is only a front-end for the thread system; which if you ask me is a lot more important. RSVPs are working, google maps is working, and auto stream embedding is working. If you input a stream URL, it will automatically parse the required information and validate (ustream and justin.tv supported right now). Then during the "Live" hours of the event, it will automatically add the embedded player to the thread.

I have an event going on tonight at 9PM EST if you want to see how it works:
http://xen1.8wayrun.com/threads/nov-30-2010-the-break-weekly-85-dunellen-nj.29/

Top Bottom