• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

8WayRun.Com Modifications for XenForo

I decided to change the way my Media Library works a little bit. I need to be able to make some money, and the media library has always been free. It will continue to be free... however the free (re: lite) version will only support YOUTUBE. This of course will be fine for the majority of users. I will then sell XML packages for other hosters at $5 a piece... so people can selectively choose which hosters they want to support on their forums.

If you have anything against this change in practice... please respond as I am open to ideas, criticism and complaints.

Charging for a mod you spend hours and hours is not a crime and the amount seems very reasonable.
If I see a decent style i never complain if i need to spend 20$ whatever makes me happy :)

The same go's for other mods, but a lite version is a must new users would like to check things out first.

Glad your here!

If you're just charging for XML's someone is just going to release the XML eventually.

Why not instead make the full version actually support importing XML's, and leave that out completely of the Lite version.

Great to see you bringing your mods to xenForo Jason! :D

I've been using your Video Directory Remixed on my sites for quite a while now and loved what you did with the Media Library for vB4. I just haven't had the desire (or patience) to move to vB4 in order to experience that mod first hand. Can't wait to see the xF versions! :)

i've been watching 8wayrun.com develop since day one...and i can say that i can't wait to see it on xenforo. thus far, the mods for 8wr have made it a model for gaming sites, and it is constantly developing more and more features to help us out.

one question i have regarding a request...if you integrate the javachat feature into the site with xenforo, will you be able to change the properties of it? ie: can you make the silence/ignore functions stick after users come and go, or is that something that would have to be done via java and that is unrelated?

either way i look forward to seeing what sorts of upgrades and features this will bring to the site/community.

Unfortunately Lobo, AddonChat will be the same. The AddonChat system is stored on a separate server run by a separate company. If we decide to stick with AddonChat, which we most likely will... the sticky-ness will still be missing until AddonChat adds it. We use AddonChat, instead of a Chatbox or Shoutbox because there is no strain on our servers. We used to use Flashchat, and during peak hours, our website would die. Remember, we tend to have 15-20 people in our chatroom in all hours of the day.

also, when we upgraded to VB4, chat became available to members via their android/iphone machines.

many people, myself included, like to take advantage of this new feature with VB4. is this something that can be preserved in xenforo or perhaps even enhanced?

also, when we upgraded to VB4, chat became available to members via their android/iphone machines.
That has nothing to do with VB4... that has to do with a new $35/year extension with AddonChat. None of the new advancements in AddonChat have anything to do with VB4. 8WR does a good job on paying for itself with advertisers, and I use the excess capital (as little as it is) to upgrade our features.

I'd say perhaps $5 each for the first couple, then a discount on further ones, say #14 for 3 etc???

Sounds liek a good idea, for us we'd prob only use the YouTube and Vimeo ones ... to start with at least :).

Top Bottom