1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50GB of DropBox Free? Mega?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =MGN=RedEagle, Jan 24, 2014.

1. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

I was just checking out https://mega.co.nz. Has anyone seen this? Seems epic. 50GB free and all secure.
  2. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Only downside, is there's a limit on bandwith, the free account (which SEEMED to be unlimited bandwith at launch), seems to be limited to 10GB.

3. =MGN=RedEagle

Still better than dropbox lol. But yes, I see your point.
  4. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

The 50gb is nice, but, I'd rather keep paying the $9.99 I do to Dropbox for 100gb and "unlimited" bandwidth.
    Big Dan likes this.
  5. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Mind you, the price isn't bad for Mega.co.nz either. lol
  6. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Until the FBI raid it...
    Big Dan, Shyuan and AdamD like this.
  7. =MGN=RedEagle

The question is, how safe is dropbox when it comes to hackers etc.
    Shyuan likes this.
  8. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

As opposed to Drop Box who the government basically sponsors and has complete unrestricted access. Why do you think they never had a problem?
    erich37 likes this.
  9. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

True, but which is more likely to be raided? Dropbox, or Mega?
    I'd rather host with Dropbox and not suddenly find my files being withheld or taken away without notice.
  10. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I rather take my chances :)
  11. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

I would suggest looking at Tresorit if you care about privacy, I know it's quite new and the paid version is a bit more expensive, but it's by far the safest "Dropbox". They moved their servers out of US to Switzerland to protect users' privacy from NSA that kind of thing. They also have hacking bounty and claimed that so far none have hacked them successfully *hopefully* :D.
  12. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Interesting, the bandwidth limit on Mega.co.nz, is "Dynamic". Not sure what that means, but one post I read on another forum says 10gb per 30 minutes.
    So it's not too bad at all really.
    Only part I'm not keen on, is there's no way to link your account login/security to your mobile, like you can with Dropbox.
  13. Big Dan

Big Dan Active Member

Exactly. The owner is still under investigation for Mega Upload. I wouldn't place any of my data on servers controlled by him. Just my .02.
  14. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

15. D.O.A.

D.O.A. Well-Known Member

He'll be fine, the government played some stupid games in NZ and they're losing now.
    Quite frankly, the FBI are starting to look stupid pursuing this here.
    erich37 likes this.
  16. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

I would use MEGA anytime.
    You need to be at the right side of history.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  17. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Looks like "Encrypt Everything" is become internet #1 rules, replacing the old rules :D
  18. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

Much prefer DropBox even though I barely use mine.
  19. WoodiE

WoodiE Well-Known Member

I used to be a big dropbox fan but then started thinking about my data and who I do and don't want to have access to it.

I now have a Synology DS412+ with just over 4TB of disk space in a nice RAID 10 setup that's also being backed up in an encrypted container. Using the Synology cloud station on my computers and phone I have the same access to my data as I did with Dropbox but TONS more storage and less worry about who might be looking at my data.
  20. Big Dan

Big Dan Active Member

I encrypt anything sensitive with TrueCrypt (http://truecrypt.org) before uploading to Dropbox. I keep a 25MB volume for my check book register files. It syncs in a minute or two most times.