200 Characters for Rating a Resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 83366 View attachment 83367
That's what I was refering to. I'm not a native english speaker, but as far as I understand, a rating basically is the result of voting?
Interesting, I was referring to where you actually rate a resource:

Screenshot_2014-09-10-15-38-07.webp

Technically rating and voting are different things. I'll save quoting but this can be seen in various online dictionaries if you look up these words. I think those examples should say "108 ratings" and "0 ratings"

Maybe this is something that @Amaury might want to post as a bug...

Nobody ever said there shouldn't be reviews. It's fine for those who can contribute a review. But I don't think voting (and that's what it's called all over the place) should be coupled with a forced review. Can't remember when I had to review something to vote. When was the last time you had to vote in real life ... like elections?

@Daniel Hood
If you think you're done, why do you keep posting?

@Azhria Lilu
If you don't want to read ... don't read, it's as simple as that. But stop telling others to stop discussing, please.

Is this going to be the extent of your posts in strengthening your arguments to get change by telling others to stop posting and to stop reading? #compelling

Nobody ever said there shouldn't be reviews. It's fine for those who can contribute a review. But I don't think voting (and that's what it's called all over the place) should be coupled with a forced review. Can't remember when I had to review something to vote. When was the last time you had to vote in real life ... like elections?

Oh please with the analogies. Let's call it what it is, your too lazy to write up an informative review that helps potential customers and the developer, the fact it doesn't help you in any shape or form is why your getting you panties in a twist. Like the resource if you (and clearly shows) can't be bothered to write a short review.

*goes to write up another 500 character review* #getsmotivated
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was referring to where you actually rate a resource:

screenshot_2014-09-10-15-38-07-jpg.83368
Me too, but in a different place. ;)
See the animated GIF below.
vote.gif

i would just like to give and receive star votes without needing to dream up something more than 'works great, does what its supposed to'.
at least the early adopters got all their ratings collected before the crash hey

I just reviewed a resource, and I too think the 250 characters is too much. Some add-ons are just simple and do one function. There are not many things to write about it, so eventually the 250 character limit creates spammy reviews. I don't know any website that does that, and it clearly discourages users from reviewing resources.
Take for example the mother of review websites Yelp or IMDB. You won't find anything like that there.

No, it's not. It's so easy to type 200 characters, it's not even funny.

Your earlier post, for example, contained 435 characters.
My posts here are not relevant for reviews. Reviews for simple add-ons can't really contain 200 characters, no matter how you're going to write it (in terms of making sense). Sure, one can put many irrelevant words/sentences in his/her review - but what's the purpose then?
100 character limit would eliminate the "thanks" reviews - Isn't this the purpose of the limit from the begging?
If I don't want to make detailed reviews on an add-on I purchased (and 200 characters it's pretty detailed for a simple/mid add-on) - why should I?

This 200 character limit is going to bring reviews down by at least 70% and cause many users to miss good add-ons that developers were working hard to put them in the resource manager (and then discourage developers to build additional add-ons).

All in all, XenForo is losing from this move. This is my .02 cents anyway.

Last edited:
It's still too many. It should be around 100.

I've pretty much said what I need to say in this thread, so whether if I agree or disagree with you is now irrelevant since it's not me you have to convince but rather the developers. I'm not saying there haven't been valid points made from those against, they are very valid (to an extent). But with regards to your "they could become spammy reviews" - That is true, very true indeed. Ever since the character limit was introduced all reviews I received have been more request based rather than proper reviews. Oh well, guess I completely haven't said what I had to say. :D I won't lie that the review system needs some fine tuning.

This 200 character limit is going to bring reviews down by at least 70% and cause many users to miss good add-ons that developers were working hard to put them in the resource manager (and then discourage developers to build additional add-ons).

All in all, XenForo is losing from this move. This is my .02 cents anyway.

You could easily argue that the "reviews" that have previously been posted aren't real reviews as it is. Many just say "Thanks." How is that a review? How does that help anyone make a decision?

I'll still take 70% (some random number you created) less fluff reviews, to get real reviews that will be helpful.

it's not me you have to convince but rather the developers.
I don't really care about this limit. I just shared what I experienced when I tried to review today a resource. I didn't even know such a limit exists until today.
My purpose for writing this is to help developers not to be discouraged from making add-ons. We are living in a very dynamic and fast world. People don't have the patients today to watch a youtube video that is more than 3-4 minutes long. So writing reviews with 200 characters is just a bad move and hasn't been done in ANY big review website that I know of. Amazon, Yelp, IMDB, <enter any big merchandise store such as Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Apple, NewEgg - to name a few>, TripAdvisor, GSMArena, CNET, IGN, etc`.

You could easily argue that the "reviews" that have previously been posted aren't real reviews as it is. Many just say "Thanks." How is that a review? How does that help anyone make a decision?
The "Thanks" reviews are not relevant. I guess they taught you how to selectively read in middle school/high school. There are gazillion reviews with "four stars, fast shipping - Thanks!" on Amazon. But hey, guess what? these reviews are still there and nobody reads them. I would suggest making a rating system for reviews like Amazon does, when good reviews, that give a lot of details would appear on top and these spammy reviews would be buried at the bottom/different pages.

I'll still take 70% (some random number you created) less fluff reviews, to get real reviews that will be helpful.
You're more than welcome to see how many reviews are there right now, for new add-ons created and before the limit was put in place. The 70% was AT LEAST. I think the numbers are even higher. I guess there is sone sort of statistics about it in ACP to see reviews per day before and after the limit and Mike, if he would like, can share with you the by how much it dropped (And I might be wrong. Actually, I hope I'm wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom