200 Characters for Rating a Resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a configurable option.

You can set it to whatever you want in your own installation.

So presumably your complaint is related to here?

We have decided that 250 characters is a reasonable amount to get a decent review rather than one or two word reviews.

Yes it is! :)

I agree; there should be a limit but 250 seems too much (maybe 100 or 120 can be the sweet spot?) :unsure:. It might discourage members to write a review and this might result doubt for other members who are interested in that specific add-on.

Who says you have to use all 250 available characters? Better to have enough space to make an accurate informed review then not enough. Reviews are critical especially for premium services. A half dozen 100 character reviews is not going to do much good for most people and could cause unnecessary chargebacks and or refunds. IMO

Who says you have to use all 250 available characters?
How can I not use if I am forced to do?

Better to have enough space to make an accurate informed review then not enough.
I am talking about the minimum limit not maximum.

Reviews are critical especially for premium services. A half dozen 100 character reviews is not going to do much good for most people and could cause unnecessary chargebacks and or refunds. IMO
I personally trust an add-on which has a 5 star and only a "thanks" much more compared to an add-on which has 0 reviews due to high minimum limit character (assuming high limit will discourage members to give feedback).

(assuming high limit will discourage members to give feedback)
It most certainly will. I suspect it will also cut down on the number of bogus reviews. And likely why a minimum character count was implemented. Some reviews are easy to push 250+ characters others will be more difficult

Some reviews are easy to push 250+ characters others will be more difficult
I agree that some do push but most of them don't. Not sure if there is a rating statistics in RM but it seems members are reviewing less and less these days...

Definitely worth having at 250 if it cuts out the "revenge rating" or the "they are my friend so I rate them at 5" or the "never purchased the style but gonna rate anyway" ratings.

Overall, in my eyes, it will be better.

Definitely worth having at 250 if it cuts out the "revenge rating" or the "they are my friend so I rate them at 5" or the "never purchased the style but gonna rate anyway" ratings.
Obviously you would know better than me but I am curious; aren't these minority cases?

Obviously you would know better than me but I am curious; aren't these minority cases?

Yes.

The minority is people will take the time to actually rate. Most of the time people just want their resource and will never bother rating.

Yes.

The minority is people will take the time to actually rate. Most of the time people just want their resource and will never bother rating.
The problem for me at least is wanting to give a accurate rating therefore I do not rate a resource as soon as I download it I usually give it a week or two to test in a live environment this way I better allows me to accurately rate that resource.. However I am very forgetful and often times I forget. And of course the same applies for rating the updated versions.

The problem for me at least is wanting to give a accurate rating therefore I do not rate a resource as soon as I download it I usually give it a week or two to test in a live environment this way I better allows me to accurately rate that resource.. However I am very forgetful and often times I forget. And of course the same applies for rating the updated versions.

I can understand that. I'm referring to those that never rate, or have any intentions of rating a resource especially when they've received support to a problem they had. I'm not knocking them, but imo rating a resource is just a mere after thought. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing.

Back on topic: I actually think the character count should be increased for those that really want to give a fleshed out review. There have been times when I wanted to and wanted to start the review with - "It started on a dark, cold stormy night...". You know, really draw the reader into the review so to speak. #10,000characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom