XF 2.0 2.1 upgrade

thanks Yogesh. In the instructions it says: "When uploading files, it's very important that you "merge" files with what's on the server. Some FTP clients may simply replace the contents on the server with exactly the contents that you're uploading. If this happens, some files and data may be lost. " Our FTP client doesn't merge.

I have these questions:

1. As per the above statement in the manual, can we know what files and data would be lost (I only have one add-on)?
2. Will features selected in the admin be kept, ie where features checked under options, or colours changed etc. ?
3. Will the changes I have made in templates such as extra.less be lost?
4. Anything else?

Thanks in advance anyone who can advise.

Margot

1. If you did not manually edit a core XF file, you're good.
2. Yes!
3. Upgrades never touch extra.less that's why people recommend you put custom CSS there.
4. Try on a test install before doing it on your live board :)

Thank you. By core XF file, does that exclude template files, ie those included under Appearance > Styles and Templates > Templates. In some of the templates I have commented out lines. ( I know extra.less is in that area but it's the other actual templates I was wondering about).

Another question further to your help M@rc, we had Xenforo set up our site so I didn't dig into that. The forum is in a subdirectory. Can I just set up another subdirectory called /test and transfer all files into that subdirectory to have a working test site?

Our FTP client doesn't merge.

I'd recommend switching to one that does, it's extremely easy to really mess something up by overwriting an entire directory accidentally.

1. As per the above statement in the manual, can we know what files and data would be lost (I only have one add-on)?

It'd be the contents of any directory in that zip. The biggest issue would be if the zip contained the data or internal_data directories, but these are excluded in the upgrade package for that very reason. Additionally, with the src/addons, js, styles, etc directories - if you FTP client overwrites these rather than merging you'll lose all add-on files

2. Will features selected in the admin be kept, ie where features checked under options, or colours changed etc. ?

Yes, it won't change things like this as they're stored in the database

3. Will the changes I have made in templates such as extra.less be lost?

It will never overwrite changes made to templates, unless you make your changes directly to the master style (which is impossible to do unless you enable debug mode)

Thank you. By core XF file, does that exclude template files, ie those included under Appearance > Styles and Templates > Templates. In some of the templates I have commented out lines. ( I know extra.less is in that area but it's the other actual templates I was wondering about).

Upgrading will not override template contents, they will mark the templates as outdated and give you an opportunity to either automatically merge them, when possible, or manually merge them if necessary

Another question further to your help M@rc, we had Xenforo set up our site so I didn't dig into that. The forum is in a subdirectory. Can I just set up another subdirectory called /test and transfer all files into that subdirectory to have a working test site?

You'll have to copy the files and the database, then make sure you've updated your src/config.php file to reference the new database

Last edited:
1. If you did not manually edit a core XF file, you're good.

I just noticed this. I think there may have been a misunderstanding because if you upload via FTP with no merge, then it will be an issue because you will loose all admins folder from src, js , styles etc. I know you only have one add-on so not disaster, but worth noting that without FTP merge, you will lose those. folders/files.

The update of the test site affected the main site (put it on maintenance) even though it was in a different sub-directory so I am reloading the backup.

On the test site I got the message: Renamed table xf_json_convert_error to xf_json_convert_error__conflict to avoid schema conflict src/XF/Error.php:75

thanks Mr. Lucky, just to be clear, by this: "you will loose all admins folder from src, js , styles etc. " you mean that are part of the one add-on I have?

Yes, should have been addons not admins/

If you upload to FTP with merge, then you can lose everything on the server that is not in the folders you upload.

Top Bottom