[021] XenForo WebSockets [Deleted]

And self setup is limiting to people using VPS/Dedi with Linux. People on shared can't do that, so have to go with Pusher.
Or... They can purchase a separate VPS/VDS for the websocket server and have unlimited connections for the same money :)

Besides, as a guest you won't be receiving any alerts anyway, so you won't be missing out on anything....
I want to see content updates on the forum: threads, posts, news feed, widgets - all this will work in real time and I would not want guests to be cut off from this functionality)

Or... They can purchase a separate VPS/VDS for the websocket server and have unlimited connections for the same money :)

I want to see content updates on the forum: threads, posts, news feed, widgets - all this will work in real time and I would not want guests to be cut off from this functionality)
I get what you're saying - and for your own projects, cool that's great and all - but I'm just pointing out what I (and maybe others) would want.

You did want feedback after all ;)

Just curious, from your other addon:

It's using

Correct?

Why is this addon using a different backend?
The add-on is based on the Pusher library.
It uses the Pusher SDK (opens new window)to send messages from the server, and the laravel-echo (opens new window)library to receive messages on the client side.

Just curious, from your other addon:

It's using

Correct?

Why is this addon using a different backend?
Because this add-on is about perfomance and providing developers and users with all the tools they could possibly need. In particular, it supports private channels, which provides support for permissions. Over time, version 2.x will be released for Real time chat, which will work only on the basis of this add-on, which will open up new possibilities for implementations, including private rooms.
Briefly about this add-on: it allows you to provide real-time activity on forums of any size for a minimal cost or even for free if you already have a VPS/VDS.

get what you're saying - and for your own projects, cool that's great and all - but I'm just pointing out what I (and maybe others) would want.
some functions simply require additional investment.. either by the use of a 3rd party service or use an outside ability (VPS/dedi).
Unluckily, not all aspects of new "abilities" are readily available to shared hosting, and it's simply something that those on shared hosting need to be aware of and budget for appropriately.
IPS is a classic case of this.. they offer certain functions in their script ONLY at the cloud level because of what is required on the back end, and VERY few (if any) shared hosting providers can supply it. The simple fact is, shared hosting is the bottom tier now of what is needed for what some think of as "required" features.

some functions simply require additional investment.. either by the use of a 3rd party service or use an outside ability (VPS/dedi).
Unluckily, not all aspects of new "abilities" are readily available to shared hosting, and it's simply something that those on shared hosting need to be aware of and budget for appropriately.
IPS is a classic case of this.. they offer certain functions in their script ONLY at the cloud level because of what is required on the back end, and VERY few (if any) shared hosting providers can supply it. The simple fact is, shared hosting is the bottom tier now of what is needed for what some think of as "required" features.
Right, except the "alerts" add on only works for logged in users anyway, so there's no point opening up channels for guests (if you aren't using any other socket add-ons)

I want to test this at scale on my main site, but that has thousands of guests online at once, so a simple toggle for logged in only would be useful.

Right, except the "alerts" add on only works for logged in users anyway, so there's no point opening up channels for guests (if you aren't using any other socket add-ons)
Does it actually open channels for guests? If so, I agree, it should not as NO guest should be getting alerts, but updates in the site are a different matter..
I haven't installed this add-on nor played with it... so if yes, it's "alerting guests" then it's an issue with using resources that should not be needed. If it's not updating threads for guest, I can see where that might be an issue... but honestly, if a guest can't take the time to register, is keeping them up to date with the "latest & greatest" a priority? Some will say yay, some will say nay. Personally for me... I'm in the "nay" brigade. If they can't take time to register on the site, then keeping them immediately updated with the "latest & greatest" isn't honestly a priority to me, whereas keeping my actual users aware of such is.... but I admit, I am not your "standard" admin, and many would say I'm somewhat an arsehole... but what can I say, I'm simply an East Texas redneck and don't tend to put up with whining! :eek:

Last edited:
Anyone tried setting up Soketi on a remote server instead of using the Pusher API?

Any plans on supporting:
  • Private conversation
  • Profile post
  • Media Gallery Comments
  • What's new page
  • New post page
  • Latest activity page

When using self-hosted Soketi, does "Pusher host" support folder location?
Like: https://xf.com/socket

Does "Pusher connection port" also support custom ports like 443?

I want to configure the Nginx socket proxy at a custom location (/socket) but on the same port 443.

Top Bottom