Implemented Online Status Indicator / move outside of Avatar-image

Status
Not open for further replies.

erich37

The position of the "green dot" inside the Avatar is not great, as it destroys the appearance of the Avatar-image.
Depending on the Avatar-image, the "Online Status Indicator" is also hardly visible.

The "Online Status Indicator" should be positioned somewhere outside of the Avatar-image.

onlinenow.webp

Upvote 24
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Wow..so much hate directed at something so tiny . . . .

That's what she said...

Seriously though, could it easily be moved beside the username? If so then I wouldn't care tbh. If you can't clearly see it then pretend it's not there like the past 4 years.

That's what she said...

Seriously though, could it easily be moved beside the username? If so then I wouldn't care tbh. If you can't clearly see it then pretend it's not there like the past 4 years.

It could easily be moved next to the username (are you referring to the right hand side of the username?) if so, yes. But I think there is inconsistency issues with the placement when long usernames break onto another line. Or rather, usernames would most probably overlap it unless you introduced some padding or something.

That's what she said...

Yes.. yes she did :p

And also seriously, the same argument could be used for those that are so against it. It can be moved easily.

The fact of the matter is - a decision had to be made as to where to place it on the default set up. So the devs went with the option they have for the reasons they have - which have been covered in so much depth... oh so much depth - already in this thread. I'm in the camp of "I don't care where it shows, because I didn't care about it being around in the first place". It doesn't matter where the devs ended up putting the little green dot, this thread would have turned up anyway and the pitchforks and firebrands would have come screaming out of the darkness.

There aren't as many people against it posting in this thread as it appears, it's the same few repeating the same things. A poll would have been a lot more clear on who is happy and who isn't.

It could easily be moved next to the username (are you referring to the right hand side of the username?) if so, yes.

Yep, thanks for answering.
But I think there is inconcictency issues with the placement when long usernames break onto another line. Or rather, usernames would most probably overlap it unless you introduced some padding or something.

Then I guess there is a somewhat convoluted way to place it after the last character wherever it may lie? I would just limit characters to 1 line and/or increase the avatar size.

Going back to the OP, I guess I agree that it should be placed somewhere outside the avatar where there is a guaranteed high contrast to the icon by default.

Yep, thanks for answering.

Then I guess there is a somewhat convoluted way to place it after the last character wherever it may lie? I would just limit characters to 1 line and/or increase the avatar size.

Going back to the OP, I guess I agree that it should be placed somewhere outside the avatar where there is a guaranteed high contrast to the icon by default.

I'm quite sure that would require a template edit then if you don't limit the length of usernames.

Reactions: Jay
Maybe this is a good time to close the thread, I don't know.

I think points have been made sufficiently from both sides. Some people like the current placement. Some people don't. Whatever happens, the solution will be simple. If it stays as it is, some people will need to use CSS to move it and there will be plenty of support to do that. If it changes, then people who currently like it how it is will be writing some CSS to move it instead.

Either way, there is no be all and end all solution so debating it further seems pointless.

All that needs to happen is for a new solution to be implemented, or this thread to be No Thanks'd. No one wins, no one loses, everyone can manage the consequence of either decision.

closing a "Suggestion Thread" is never a good idea.

"Suggestions" provide constructive discussion, creativity, new ideas, thinking outside the Box.

:coffee:

First, the hyperbole that has often been posted here is not helpful. It goes both "sides" and is a strawman. Similarly, the appeals to authority (that the devs chose it so deal with it) don't really add anything. By definition, we made every single decision in XenForo and there are plenty of things that have been adjusted based on feedback

Second, while "it can be changed" is a valid point, independently it's not a good argument. It can be changed relatively simply and that is something to note, but doesn't really say anything about the validity of any choice and thus is not a particularly useful point.

So with that in mind, I did actually mention the reasoning in the initial HYS:
We've taken an understated approach to this as it's information that can be useful in specific situations but is not normally fundamental and we didn't want it to draw too much attention.

Considering the importance of types of information that we display (by default) in the message user info, the online status probably doesn't even rank -- but of course, it was a commonly requested element. I can't say that I see a really compelling reason for the online status to be there. I mean, I can see a little bit of value from it, but the forum concept is designed around asynchronous discussion and discussion involving multiple parties. In the base case, a user would normally be notified in some way to a response to them.

(It's also worth noting that, unlike in a chat program where you maintain a connection to a server, the online status indicator doesn't necessarily mean that the user is actually still online. I've probably gone offline while thinking about/drafting this post.)

So, the design was to make it available but not throw it in your face. To let you access it if you need it, but to not draw too much attention. I've seen some examples of really significant banners (over the avatar, full width banners like the "staff member" one, etc) that really don't fit the goal of being understated and significantly over value the information, IMO.

So what other options are there? (Focusing solely on the dot implementation.)
  • Somewhere around the avatar but not over it -- this feels like it's quite noticeable and IMO, not really nice looking anyway. It is probably better to put this in the upper left corner than the upper right. In general, it just seems a little ... off to put it there.
  • Before the username -- moving it here has the disadvantage of shifting the username back and forth. Additionally, it's not particularly uncommon to use the username CSS to add an icon before the username so this would just double that up. It does also reduce the usable width for the actual username and this area is fairly tight.
  • After the username (inline) -- this eliminates the issues with the username moving and the username CSS icon, but it does mean that the online icon moves about based on the width of the username. It does also reduce the width available to the username (potential situation where just the online icon wraps). This doesn't feel horrendously intrusive with a smaller online indicator, but would need more experimenting.
  • After the username (right aligned) -- this looks "detached" from a short username and just a bit random. With longer usernames it would interfere unless there was some extra margin applied, so it does have the same width reduction as the others.
So just to be clear, the main issues with the version over the avatar seem to be that it can be too understated depending on avatar, that it can be faked, and possibly general aesthetics for some people(?).

I've mentioned my opinion on banners but are there any other alternatives worth considering? (Somewhat rhetorical as there would be. :))

Just as a final point: there are plenty of things XF gives you choices over, but there are also plenty of things where it's opinionated. This won't change and clearly there will be decisions you don't agree with. It doesn't mean our decisions are automatically right, but disagreement doesn't mean they're automatically wrong. To get a package that works how you want 100% of the time would require a few more zeroes be tacked onto $140. :)

If there was a poll (is that an idea?) I would be voting to keep it where it is because I agree the overall design decision to ensure it is understated was correct. I had actually forgotten it had been justified in that way in the HYS but I agree as per:

I can see it perfectly. Even green on green. I like it where it is because it's subtle and doesn't catch the eye away from the content, but it is there if you need or want to see it.

But, equally, if there was a decision made and it was moved I wouldn't have a problem with it as it's so easy to adjust if I don't like the eventual position.

If there was a poll (is that an idea?) I would be voting to keep it where it is because I agree the overall design decision to ensure it is understated was correct. I had actually forgotten it had been justified in that way in the HYS but I agree as per:

But, equally, if there was a decision made and it was moved I wouldn't have a problem with it as it's so easy to adjust if I don't like the eventual position.
This is my stance too :)

I've mentioned my opinion on banners but are there any other alternatives worth considering? (Somewhat rhetorical as there would be. :))
Possibly styling the avatar holder itself?

It would be far less subtle but would avoid the issues related to the other options mentioned.
It may however have issues with certain styles.

The only drawback (as we discussed in Skype) is an online indicator is typically some sort of small graphic/icon.
So a green avatar holder border/background may not be immediately obvious to those who aren't familiar with XenForo.

First, the hyperbole that has often been posted here is not helpful. It goes both "sides" and is a strawman. Similarly, the appeals to authority (that the devs chose it so deal with it) don't really add anything. By definition, we made every single decision in XenForo and there are plenty of things that have been adjusted based on feedback

Second, while "it can be changed" is a valid point, independently it's not a good argument. It can be changed relatively simply and that is something to note, but doesn't really say anything about the validity of any choice and thus is not a particularly useful point.

So with that in mind, I did actually mention the reasoning in the initial HYS:

Considering the importance of types of information that we display (by default) in the message user info, the online status probably doesn't even rank -- but of course, it was a commonly requested element. I can't say that I see a really compelling reason for the online status to be there. I mean, I can see a little bit of value from it, but the forum concept is designed around asynchronous discussion and discussion involving multiple parties. In the base case, a user would normally be notified in some way to a response to them.

(It's also worth noting that, unlike in a chat program where you maintain a connection to a server, the online status indicator doesn't necessarily mean that the user is actually still online. I've probably gone offline while thinking about/drafting this post.)

So, the design was to make it available but not throw it in your face. To let you access it if you need it, but to not draw too much attention. I've seen some examples of really significant banners (over the avatar, full width banners like the "staff member" one, etc) that really don't fit the goal of being understated and significantly over value the information, IMO.

So what other options are there? (Focusing solely on the dot implementation.)
  • Somewhere around the avatar but not over it -- this feels like it's quite noticeable and IMO, not really nice looking anyway. It is probably better to put this in the upper left corner than the upper right. In general, it just seems a little ... off to put it there.
  • Before the username -- moving it here has the disadvantage of shifting the username back and forth. Additionally, it's not particularly uncommon to use the username CSS to add an icon before the username so this would just double that up. It does also reduce the usable width for the actual username and this area is fairly tight.
  • After the username (inline) -- this eliminates the issues with the username moving and the username CSS icon, but it does mean that the online icon moves about based on the width of the username. It does also reduce the width available to the username (potential situation where just the online icon wraps). This doesn't feel horrendously intrusive with a smaller online indicator, but would need more experimenting.
  • After the username (right aligned) -- this looks "detached" from a short username and just a bit random. With longer usernames it would interfere unless there was some extra margin applied, so it does have the same width reduction as the others.
So just to be clear, the main issues with the version over the avatar seem to be that it can be too understated depending on avatar, that it can be faked, and possibly general aesthetics for some people(?).

Just as a final point: there are plenty of things XF gives you choices over, but there are also plenty of things where it's opinionated. This won't change and clearly there will be decisions you don't agree with. It doesn't mean our decisions are automatically right, but disagreement doesn't mean they're automatically wrong. To get a package that works how you want 100% of the time would require a few more zeroes be tacked onto $140. :)

Ouch!!

So just to confirm Mike. The hairy Indicator Idea is out of the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom