Implemented Online Status Indicator / move outside of Avatar-image

Status
Not open for further replies.

erich37

The position of the "green dot" inside the Avatar is not great, as it destroys the appearance of the Avatar-image.
Depending on the Avatar-image, the "Online Status Indicator" is also hardly visible.

The "Online Status Indicator" should be positioned somewhere outside of the Avatar-image.

onlinenow.webp

Upvote 24
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Considering the importance of types of information that we display (by default) in the message user info, the online status probably doesn't even rank -- but of course, it was a commonly requested element. I can't say that I see a really compelling reason for the online status to be there.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to explain in great detail your thoughts on this subject and some of the comments made on this thread.

I couldn't agree more with the text I quoted. I think one of the most important aspects of XenForo's design is how clean it looks because you and Kier have made it that way, I'm sure most everyone appreciates this clean design as it makes finding important content easier. With this in mind, I hope the online status indicator feature is disabled here on XenForo.com and the XenForo software comes with the feature disabled by default.

Another thing to consider, how many people will know what the online status indicator means? Sure a visitor can hover over the dot to show a tool-tip, but that's only on a desktop or laptop, many of today's users are using a mobile device which does not support the hover feature, to them the meaning of the dot will be a mystery and that is not good.

The location and style of the online status indicator doesn't matter to me, I'm just happy it was added. I'll be changing it to an icon to match my sites theme and placing it at the bottom of the avatar along side all the other icons that a member may have in use; ie: non-detection, diseased, armor spell, etc.

With the above said, it doesn't matter where the online status indicator is placed by default, some will be happy with it, some won't be. Most, I presume, will treat it like any other post-bit element and place it where they choose and style it to match their specific theme. So it may as well be left where it is.

Another thing to consider, how many people will know what the online status indicator means? Sure a visitor can hover over the dot to show a tool-tip, but that's only on a desktop or laptop, many of today's users are using a mobile device which does not support the hover feature, to them the meaning of the dot will be a mystery and that is not good.

The little green dot is an extremely common use of online status in today's popular web applications. I believe vBulletin's original indicator was a colored green circle. I highly doubt the meaning of this will be lost on many users.

Hm, it seems the dot has been replaced by a marker
9k1ocm.jpg

Pretty neat.

Last edited:
/me creates a new suggestion to move the online indicator to the top right corner, leaving it to two others to create suggestions to move it to the bottom left and bottom right corners.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom