Implemented Online Status Indicator / move outside of Avatar-image

Status
Not open for further replies.

erich37

The position of the "green dot" inside the Avatar is not great, as it destroys the appearance of the Avatar-image.
Depending on the Avatar-image, the "Online Status Indicator" is also hardly visible.

The "Online Status Indicator" should be positioned somewhere outside of the Avatar-image.

onlinenow.webp

Upvote 24
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Can anyone direct me to a part of this software where the owner has no control over whether the end user can see something or not? Is making users squint or not even be able to see a feature creating more noise?

It seems fairly inconsequential but I have to wonder why an online dot would appear over a background which is constantly changing color which means sometimes it's easy to see and sometimes not. I think every single forum owner will run into an issue of the dot not showing for someone because of the background color. Hard to believe the core would have something that will affect every single forum owner or it's users in a negative way. If I don't know css I have to search this thread to see what to put in extra css or probably search the resources for a solution. It doesn't seem to follow the Xenforo trend IMO.

Nice to see someone talk sensible in this thread that some feel the need to be taken into the ridiculous. I would have hoped/wished for a more mature discussion. What Eric is saying here totally illustrates the point I was making earlier. Spot on.

I think every single forum owner will run into an issue of the dot not showing for someone because of the background color.
You can still see the online indicator on my avatar despite my avatar background being the same colour as the online indicator.

If I don't know css I have to search this thread to see what to put in extra css or probably search the resources for a solution.
No one is ever on their own with such customisations.

It doesn't necessarily require you to spend much time searching for a solution. You would likely get the correct answer very quickly by posting a thread in the Styling forum saying "How do I move that indicator here?". I don't envisage there would need to be a resource or add-on to cater for most people's tastes.

It doesn't seem to follow the Xenforo trend IMO.
It does, really. There is a heck of a lot of things that people change in XenForo because they don't quite like how it is by default. This feature is no different.

There are clearly 2 sides/opinions to the pro dot, anti dot discussion. Is one any more ridiculous than the other? The Pro Dot group has shown clearly with examples they don't see an issue and have suggested possible solutions to alleviate Anti Dot concerns. While the Anti Dot have provided only their dislike for what others like.
Thank you for the dot :)

Maybe this is a good time to close the thread, I don't know.

I think points have been made sufficiently from both sides. Some people like the current placement. Some people don't. Whatever happens, the solution will be simple. If it stays as it is, some people will need to use CSS to move it and there will be plenty of support to do that. If it changes, then people who currently like it how it is will be writing some CSS to move it instead.

Either way, there is no be all and end all solution so debating it further seems pointless.

All that needs to happen is for a new solution to be implemented, or this thread to be No Thanks'd. No one wins, no one loses, everyone can manage the consequence of either decision.

You can still see the online indicator on my avatar despite my avatar background being the same colour as the online indicator.

Sure. If I really focus on your avatar I can see it. Why not make an indicator obvious? Taking my eye off of content to see an online status indicator is creating noise. Taking my eye off content and having to take time to really look to see if someone is online is creating some serious noise.

No one is ever on their own with such customisations.

It doesn't necessarily require you to spend much time searching for a solution. You would likely get the correct answer very quickly by posting a thread in the Styling forum saying "How do I move that indicator here?". I don't envisage there would need to be a resource or add-on to cater for most people's tastes.

I believe brogan has mentioned something to the effect of doing things which affect 98% of users compared to 2%. I'm having a difficult time seeing your online status. I'm sure many others are also. Why is a core feature causing me difficulties? As a forum owner, please explain why you would want me, as one of your members, to have difficulty seeing the online status of a user.

It does, really. There is a heck of a lot of things that people change in XenForo because they don't quite like how it is by default. This feature is no different.

Not quite liking and having to go to the eye doctor to get glasses when I have 20/15 vision is completely different.

By defending where the online indicator is place you are suggesting it's the correct position to place it. Talk me into it. Explain why having it over an ever changing background image is good.

Last edited:
Sure. If I really focus on your avatar I can see it. Why not make an indicator obvious? Taking my eye off of content to see an online status indicator is creating noise. Taking my eye off content and having to take time to really look to see if someone is online is creating some serious noise.

I believe brogan has mentioned something to the effect of doing things which affect 98% of users compared to 2%. I'm having a difficult time seeing your online status. I'm sure many others are also. Why is a core feature causing me difficulties? As a forum owner, please explain why you would want me, as one of your members, to have difficulty seeing the online status of a user.

Not quite liking and having to go to the eye doctor to get glasses when I have 20/15 vision is completely different.

By defending where the online indicator is place you are suggesting it's the correct position to place it. Talk me into it. Explain why having it over an ever changing background image is good.

I don't think many are defending the position. Most have already stated that they're going to move it, some have said they're even going with another design (I'm one). I personally not a fan of the placement/dot and I'm sure others aren't either but they are accepting it till they get their hands on 1.4 and not worrying too much since most of the changes to alter it are quick and painless to do.

If there is that much of a concern about content, perhaps removing the avatar completely is a better option - regardless of if someone is online or not.

Is noise to content ratio no longer a Xenforo concern? You and everyone else who thinks having the online indicator over an ever changing background is a good thing please explain why. Saying you can add extra css isn't really explaining why you think it's a good place for it.

I don't think many are defending the position. Most have already stated that they are going to move it, some have said they are even going with another design (i'm one). I personally not a fan of the placement/dot and I'm sure others aren't either but they are accepting it till they get their hands on 1.4 and not worrying too much since most of the changes to alter it are quick and painless to do.

I prefer a status ribbon myself. If most have said they'r going to move it, perhaps the developers got it wrong? I mean c'mon, they finally got something wrong and it was something as horrible as an online status indicator. LOL

Is noise to content ratio no longer a Xenforo concern? You and everyone else who thinks having the online indicator over an ever changing background is a good thing please explain why. Saying you can add extra css isn't really explaining why you think it's a good place for it.
Your main objection seems to be this "ever changing background" which I have no idea what you're referring to. Can you explain what back ground is ever changing that you see causes issues?

I prefer a status ribbon myself. If most have said they'r going to move it, perhaps the developers got it wrong? I mean c'mon, they finally got something wrong and it was something as horrible as an online status indicator. LOL

Honestly, I can just about see where your coming from, the only winning factor why I never voiced my concern was once I ventured into firebug the changes were so easy to make and easily done in minutes. Had it been a time consuming task, it would have been another story but I'm not fussed where the devs placed it because the changes are so easy to do and if anyone does have difficulty (I doubt they will) the support community will be at hand to help them.

It's your opinion it is wrong. I am sure the developers had a reason as to why it is where it is. I am fine with where it is, I have zero issues with it.

I'm wrong but you and everyone else who likes it refuses to say why green on green is a good thing. Please any of you guys who like it say why you don't mind having difficulty seeing a core feature? What about the main menu? Should they make that difficult to see also? Maybe the login background should change also? Maybe the background behind the content should change colors? Maybe make everything in core white? You have extra css so you can change everything.

I'm wrong but you and everyone else who likes it refuses to say why green on green is a good thing.

Where do you get this green on green? A changed avatar?

Okay, then those that have green themes should be just as demanding it not be moved elsewhere, because, gasp, its green on green.

I'm wrong but you and everyone else who likes it refuses to say why green on green is a good thing. Please any of you guys who like it say why you don't mind having difficulty seeing a core feature? What about the main menu? Should they make that difficult to see also? Maybe the login background should change also? Maybe the background behind the content should change colors? Maybe make everything in core white? You have extra css so you can change everything.

You're now just being hyperbolic.

Needless to say, changing any of the other things you mentioned in the way you mention would be ridiculous.

I don't have difficulty seeing a core feature. I can see it perfectly. Even green on green. I like it where it is because it's subtle and doesn't catch the eye away from the content, but it is there if you need or want to see it.

As I have said before, though, I don't care where it is. If it is moved to be somewhere I consider to be completely inappropriate, that's fine because I will move it to wherever I want - which is over the avatar.

Honestly, I can just about see where your coming from, the only winning factor why I never voiced my concern was once I ventured into firebug the changes were so easy to make and easily done in minutes. Had it been a time consuming task, it would have been another story but I'm not fussed where the devs placed it because the changes are so easy to do and if anyone does have difficulty (I doubt they will) the support community will be at hand to help them.

It is such a minor thing and so easy to change I get that. I feel like I'm taking an eye test looking at different images trying to see if I can see the green dot. All I'm saying is if I'm new to the forum world
Where do you get this green on green? A changed avatar?

Okay, then those that have green themes should be just as demanding it not be moved elsewhere, because, gasp, its green on green.

What I'm getting at is why not put the indicator somewhere the user doesn't have control over the background. I get you that it's a quick line of code in extra css. Why cause problems to someone who doesn't know what they're doing? Put the dot somewhere the background doesn't change. If people who know css want in over top a background that changes all the time then they can easily do it.

You're now just being hyperbolic.

Needless to say, changing any of the other things you mentioned in the way you mention would be ridiculous.

I don't have difficulty seeing a core feature. I can see it perfectly. Even green on green. I like it where it is because it's subtle and doesn't catch the eye away from the content, but it is there if you need or want to see it.

As I have said before, though, I don't care where it is. If it is moved to be somewhere I consider to be completely inappropriate, that's fine because I will move it to wherever I want - which is over the avatar.

Actually Chris, you added a pic of the dot next to your name or someone did. Though I prefer a status ribbon. Where you added it, the background doesn't change. Does that not make more sense than putting in on top of an ever changing background image?

Although it seems like a waste of time. Online status and seeing if people are responding to your comment add a lot of content to a forum. Granted, it's probably drunk content but it's still content. ;)

Why cause problems to someone who doesn't know what they're doing? Put the dot somewhere the background doesn't change. If people who know css want in over top a background that changes all the time then they can easily do it.

That's what the Styling and Customization Questions forum is for. I don't mind helping people with CSS and the like, but they should also learn it themselves so they don't have to have people baby them every step of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom