High Number of Paypal Chargebacks This Month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2Checkout is a better alternative
https://www.2checkout.com/

It's as close to having a real merchant account, without actually having a merchant account. They pre-screen people and unlike Paypal which allows the same individual to keep doing charge backs, 2Checkout keeps tabs on this for you & will simply block them.

Also got a couple of £0.01 and £0.05 orders, blacklisted of course

Sounds like they got Tamper Data to work in your shop - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tamper-data/ I told @Russ about this when he had told me what had happened with his shop too.

Few years back I ran a pretty successful WoW private server, our donation shop got hit once with this. It was odd that kids that normally donated a lot, were all suddenly donating for our min points @$5.00. Turned out our shop was getting hit and had to add another checker in PHP for it. What it does is, it allows you to open forms and change any value to what you want and processes the field value as that. In our case, they were packet editing the cost of items to cost 1 point for any item.

We are not add-on developers just to be clear. And the security issue was known and customers were not alerted of the issue, just a post on the developers forum saying he would look into an issue a customer posted.

That thread has sort of gotten a bit derailed in my opinion. No option is going to be fool-proof, but we have had solid luck using PayPal, but the key is screening the purchases. We use WHMCS to handle billing and licensing among other things. It has many modules you can activate and we use MaxMind to handle fraud protection and client verification. This does help.

I've used 2checkout LONG ago when I ran a small web hosting provider and it was great. It's not going to save you by any means, but it is a bit better. I would say developers need to invest more time in using a real billing software solution to handle their products. That simple...

We are not add-on developers just to be clear. And the security issue was known and customers were not alerted of the issue, just a post on the developers forum saying he would look into an issue a customer posted.
Another reason why manual approval is almost mandatory (y).

Don't make tough rules without first thinking of the consequences.
Because of the planned bans the customer who is actually right, gets upset of the ban and leaves XenForo.
Another XenForo developer cannot sell anything to that customer.
XenForo loses renewals.
Who cares?

I have to apologise since i forgot to quote you on this yesterday. There you go, there is your agenda your worried that it's going to be more difficult to purchase from 3rd party devs. why is that? I can't help feeling from start to finish (due to lack of answers ) and examples I asked from you (which btw I gave for you on both ends of the spectrum). This isn't about you, nor is this thread your playground since it's about developers being ripped off, you know, the same people putting dinner on your plate. It's very telling when people try to derail these threads it says something in itself. Just saying. (y)

It's probably the reason you liked the above quote, because it serves to expose ones ignorance and to derail the thread. You must have your reasons though that I do find them suspicious indeed. If not answering me via an example i asked forand that you "liked" the above quote is your idea of "thinking" then it's a bad bad day as it shows you don't care about 3rd party devs being ripped off. It's human nature so I can't entirely point the blame at you.

Tough rules regarding the resource manager is what is needed not to make your life more comfortable. If you provided resources you would know, but you don't. So whatever you say or lack of a response you make to me being vague and generic is very much mute.

@Luxus - Be a little bit more creative by answering the question. :) You didn't bring any food to the table unlike the devs which bring lots of goodies to the table. But like I said, perhaps I just hold a a higher value towards people work that some, the minority don't . *shrugs* :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@Luxus - Be a little bit more creative by answering the question. :) You didn't bring any food to the table unlike the devs which bring lots of goodies to the table. But like I said, perhaps I just hold a a higher value towards people work that some, the minority don't . *shrugs* :rolleyes:
Hypothetically speaking, if you bought vb5 after they promised an awesome and stable product but got an Gold labeled, broken alpha release (at best), would you issue a chargeback since vB refuses to refund customers?

Hypothetically speaking, if you bought vb5 after they promised an awesome and stable product but got an Gold labeled, broken alpha release (at best), would you issue a chargeback since vB refuses to refund customers?

I'd cancel my license. Like I did which steve mcmahol can confirm. No - I would not issue a chargeback, never have, never will. If I recall @mjp cancelled his license at around the same time (few hours before).
I gave away a license (xenforo) because I didn't agree with how one special member at the time handled things.

If I make a mistake in purchasing that is on me, I chalk it up to a bad decision whether that is faulty software, add-ons, purchasing the OUYA but that is just me and how I deal with bad purchases.

I'm assuming you chargeback frequently.

I'd cancel my license. Like I did which steve mcmahol can confirm. No - I would not issue a chargeback, never have, never will. If I recall @mjp cancelled his license at around the same time (few hours before).
I gave away a license (xenforo) because I didn't agree with how one special member at the time handled things.

If I make a mistake in purchasing that is on me, I chalk it up to a bad decision whether that is faulty software, add-ons, purchasing the OUYA but that is just me and how I deal with bad purchases.

Interesting. Well, not all people can afford to throw their hard earned money out of the window.

I'm assuming you chargeback frequently.
Actually, I never chargebacked anything in my life. It's so easy to get a wrong idea about a person based on what they write on a forum I guess.

Interesting. Well, not all people can afford to throw their hard earned money out of the window.

Actually, I never chargebacked anything in my life. It's so easy to get a wrong idea about a person based on what they write on a forum I guess.

If you say you don't I believe that, no reason why i shouldn't. You tell me what is wrong with devs here getting some further help to protect their add-ons/resources because this is what you are fundamentally disagreeing on. No need to reply back just something for you to ponder on if you remotely even care or anyone for that matter since they are the backbone providing resources on xenforo and if they decide to pack up and quit due to poor sales and high piracy you really can't fault them or even expect them to continue.

Resource providers being harassed about pricing - That's another subject and another problem in itself.

I clamp down on that whenever I encounter it or am made aware of it.

I know you clamp down on that as soon as I reported it you were there and honestly that wasn't a dig at xf just that the problem I feel relates to this and how much respect these 3rd party providers actually get from people. As far as I'm concerned you go above and beyond in dealing with everything on this site.

If you say you don't I believe that, no reason why i shouldn't. You tell me what is wrong with devs here getting some further help to protect their add-ons/resources because this is what you are fundamentally disagreeing on. No need to reply back just something for you to ponder on if you remotely even care or anyone for that matter since they are the backbone providing resources on xenforo and if they decide to pack up and quit due to poor sales and high piracy you really can't fault them or even expect them to continue.

Resource providers being harassed about pricing - That's another subject and another problem in itself.
You seem to be jumping to conclusions very quickly. If one doesn't seem to jump on the same wagon as you, surely he must be against your views, not helping at all here and just gtfo, right?

With that said, yes I support devs protecting their add-ons, but I see things from both sides. You can't pretend the other side (the buyer's side) doesn't exist. People are getting scammed every day. You pay for a product and the product is not delivered as advertised or at all. This doesn't mean that there are scammer devs among xenforo's add-on developers here. I'm speaking generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom