1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Zombie thread alert

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by JamesBrown, Aug 21, 2016.

1. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Well-Known Member

A Google search took me to an old thread on Mumsnet. At the top of the page was the following warning. What a good idea. Does anyone know if this can be done in xF

[​IMG]
    ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

ŽivaAkcija likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It should be doable by adding a conditional based on the thread's last post date compared to the current time.

3. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

Could also do with a better zombie.

Steve F and Brad P like this.
  4. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

I use @W1zzard TPU: Show Warning when bumping Old Threads's add-on(I contributed a chunk to it) to provide a notice and it requires the user to select a checkbox to acknowledge that they are replying to a really old thread.

It cuts down on point-less posting in long dead threads by a lot.

5. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Was bored, so had a mess around with this. Just used simple text, but would be easy enough to expand and use images. Conditional uses a year from the last post date/time.
    year conditional.png

I make no claims on how good this works or even if it's the proper way to do it as I'm not a coder of any kind lol

Code:
    <xen:if is="({xen:calc '{$serverTime} - 31556926'} > {$thread.last_post_date})">
    <h1>Show this notice</h1>
    </xen:if>

I also tested it using one day - change the 31556926 string to 86400.

/EDIT

Oh yeah, I put it at the top of the thread_view template.

Brad P likes this.
  6. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Little more messing around... still nothing special, but I think it works better displaying just above the quick reply - that way you're not assuming everyone who goes into the thread is there to post, they might be there just to read...

If they get as far as quick reply, the notice seems more logical:-

above quick reply.png

I cheated and put the code inside the ad_thread_view_below_messages template and put the image in a class so i could add some css.

Looks kinda cute.

ŽivaAkcija likes this.
  7. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

new add on comming

Lisa likes this.
  8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

@Lisa, if we just wanted something really basic, would it be really easy to make a duplicate of the thread status notice?

Notice.PNG

Instead of the above message, though, it would be something like, "Notice: This thread hasn't received a reply since August 21, 2015." And the lock icon would, of course, not be there. I assume it's just a matter of copying and pasting the code for the thread status in the corresponding template and then adjusting it accordingly. But everything's not always that easy, is it? ;) So I'm just making sure.

9. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Yeah, it'd be simple to do.

Amaury likes this.
  10. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Well-Known Member

I agree. On their site though the zombie is a little smaller and doesn't look too bad.

zombie.png

Gemma likes this.
  11. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's usually not a good sign when something looks better the smaller it is.

12. suineg

suineg Member

I would actually love to get that exact code block from you, I will repost the picture or choose another of course!

13. karabaja

karabaja Member

Hi! How to specify message to be displayed in a particular subforum only?

Code:
    {xen:calc '{$serverTime} - 31556926'} > {$thread.last_post_date}) + {forumid=}
    ?