1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Message rejected: Address blacklisted

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Coop1979, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Coop1979

Coop1979 Well-Known Member

I've been seeing the above error in the Server Error Log and can't figure out what is causing it. Here is the complete error:

Code:
    Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Message rejected: Address blacklisted. - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:431
    Generated By: user123, Jun 8, 2012
    Stack Trace
    #0 /Sites/mysite/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(324): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_expect(250, 600)
    #1 /Sites/mysite/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(215): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->data('Subject: New Th...')
    #2 /Sites/mysite/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
    #3 /Sites/mysite/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #4 /Sites/mysite/library/XenForo/Mail.php(170): Zend_Mail->send()
    #5 /Sites/mysite/library/XenForo/Mail.php(145): XenForo_Mail->sendMail(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #6 /Sites/mysite/library/XenForo/Mail.php(197): XenForo_Mail->send('treehuggergeorg...', 'treehuggergeorg...', Array, '', '', '')
    #7 /Sites/mysite/library/ForumWatch/Model/ForumWatch.php(137): XenForo_Mail->queue('treehuggergeorg...', 'treehuggergeorg...')
    #8 /Sites/mysite/library/ForumWatch/Extend/DataWriter/Discussion/Thread.php(10): ForumWatch_Model_ForumWatch->sendNotificationToWatchUsersOnNewThread(Array, Array, Array)
    #9 /Sites/mysite/library/WidgetFramework/Extend/DataWriter/Discussion/Thread.php(4): ForumWatch_Extend_DataWriter_Discussion_Thread->_postSaveAfterTransaction()
    #10 /Sites/mysite/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1399): WidgetFramework_Extend_DataWriter_Discussion_Thread->_postSaveAfterTransaction()
    #11 /Sites/mysite/library/xenCODE/Socialize/DataWriter/Threads.php(6): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
    #12 /Sites/mysite/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Forum.php(490): xenCODE_Socialize_DataWriter_Threads->save()
    #13 /Sites/mysite/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(310): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Forum->actionAddThread()
    #14 /Sites/mysite/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
    #15 /Sites/mysite/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #16 {main}
    I don't even know what the error means: Is the user's email blacklisted, is my email blacklisted, have I banned someone who is setup to receive an email notification and so the email is blacklisted? Thoughts?

2. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Are you using Amazon SES?
    That means those email addresses are invalid (users sign up with random email address) and the email bounces.
    If this is a notification email (watch feature) to existing member, it means this member has an outdated/nonworking email address.

Coop1979 likes this.
  3. Coop1979

Coop1979 Well-Known Member

Ahhh. Thanks, Andy!

I am using Amazon SES, so that is definitely what the error is all about. Thanks so much for your quick reply.

4. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Can someone confirm this? I've been receiving similar errors.

Others are -
    Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Message rejected: Email address is not verified.

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: No connection has been established

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Message rejected: Address blacklisted

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Could not open socket

5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The connection and socket error simply mean that XF was unable to connect to the mail server. Make sure your mail settings are correct:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Email Transport Method

The other two indicate that the receiver rejected the email. There isn't much you can do about that.