Fixed You cannot edit a thread prefix if the thread prefix has been deleted by the administrator

Alternadiv

Affected version
2.x
You can't edit a thread prefix if its original prefix has been deleted by the administrator, unless you do this workaround:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
You had to move the thread?
Kind of. I moved the thread into the same forum it is already in. By using the move thread action instead of the edit thread action, I was able to make the prefixes appear. But I also had to switch the destination forum to the wrong forum and then back to the original forum first (without actually moving it).

I'll try to help out a bit here.

The prefix wasn't deleted by the admin. If it were truly deleted, it wouldn't show up when viewing the thread.

The admin most likely either removed the node the prefix is used in from the prefix definition's "Applicable forums" setting, or removed your user group from the "Usable by user groups" setting. In which case, you want to use the moderator action "Apply prefix" from the forum's thread list.

I'll try to help out a bit here.

The prefix wasn't deleted by the admin. If it were truly deleted, it wouldn't show up when viewing the thread.

The admin most likely either removed the node the prefix is used in from the prefix definition's "Applicable forums" setting, or removed your user group from the "Usable by user groups" setting. In which case, you want to use the moderator action "Apply prefix" from the forum's thread list.
I am the admin. It was completely deleted. Thank you for your suggestions.

I am the admin. It was completely deleted. Thank you for your suggestions.
Then I have no idea. I can't duplicate the problem.

The only way I can duplicate it is by removing the forum a prefix can be used in, or removing the user group allowed to use the prefix.

EDIT: BUT - if I delete the prefix entirely the prefix does not appear in the thread list or in the thread title like you show it does, and the same symptoms appear. You can't edit the prefix. This is because the original prefix ID is not removed from the thread itself when the prefix is deleted.

The work around is to use the moderator actions in the thread list as I stated before.

Last edited:
Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.1.8).

Change log:
Handle cases where the prefix assigned to a thread may no longer be valid and ensure the prefix ist still editable.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Then I have no idea. I can't duplicate the problem.

The only way I can duplicate it is by removing the forum a prefix can be used in, or removing the user group allowed to use the prefix.

EDIT: BUT - if I delete the prefix entirely the prefix does not appear in the thread list or in the thread title like you show it does, and the same symptoms appear. You can't edit the prefix. This is because the original prefix ID is not removed from the thread itself when the prefix is deleted.

The work around is to use the moderator actions in the thread list as I stated before.
They fixed it. :)

It is worth mentioning that @Snog 's comment that the prefix being displayed seems to indicate that the prefix still exists is correct. If the prefix was deleted within XF (and nothing interfered), related elements would've been cleared up so it shouldn't appear. If the prefix was changed to no longer be associated with the forum in question, then the prefix would still appear on existing threads (though it would be changed on edit I believe).

Regardless, the code to handle this is the same for both situations.

It is worth mentioning that @Snog 's comment that the prefix being displayed seems to indicate that the prefix still exists is correct. If the prefix was deleted within XF (and nothing interfered), related elements would've been cleared up so it shouldn't appear. If the prefix was changed to no longer be associated with the forum in question, then the prefix would still appear on existing threads (though it would be changed on edit I believe).

Regardless, the code to handle this is the same for both situations.
That’s odd because I am 100% sure I deleted it completely. Regardless, it’s good that it’s fixed.

I am not sure if this is related. I am on 2.2 Beta 4.

I deleted a thread prefix from backend today. Expecting that it would disappear from threads using it. But this is how the threads with deleted prefixes appear.

1598732384519.webp

Top Bottom