1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yayyy for FireFox 4 :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ExpertPixels.com, May 6, 2011.

1. ExpertPixels.com

ExpertPixels.com Well-Known Member

Always loved this browser but have always hated having to try to implement 3rd tricks in order to make websites / my designs using a fixed background (sure you all have noticed the laggy scroll on websites using fixed backgrounds)...

Anyways FireFox 4 has finally addressed this problem :) one less script to run now Yayyyy.

2. Legend

Legend Member

FireFox is soooo last year.

Vodkaholic likes this.
  3. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Firefox 4 is sooo this year. I love this browser.

4. SilverCircle

SilverCircle Well-Known Member

It's called retained layers and yes, it can speed up scrolling significantly because it reduces the number of redraws and allows for hardware accelerated scrolling - pages with a fixed (non scrolling) background benefit most from this, but generally, the smooth scrolling now works as the name suggests (it didn't even deserve the name in Firefox 3 :) ).

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2010/07/retained_layers.html - here are the bloody details, if anyone is interested.

5. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Love the Awesome Bar.
    I use Chrome mostly now.
    But there are plenty of times I wish I was using Firefox as finding pages I've been to is super fast.
    It really helps for navigating xenforo.com.
    I dont need to use xenforo search to find a page I have been to in FireFox ... the awesome finds the URL !

Attached Files:

6. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

Agree :) chrome ftw!! :3

D.O.A. and Defqon like this.
  7. Ray

Ray Active Member

I'm an Opera user and I use Firefox for testing purposes only. If only they would fix the way it handles javascript-heavy websites... The only browser that never crashed on me, other than Opera is Google Chrome.

kyrgyz likes this.
  8. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

For some reason it's using more memory again. I think it just fluctuates up and down like a yoyo. one day it'll be okay the next it's hungry for memory.

9. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

I actually thought this happens only with me.

10. Still prefer chrome over firefox

11. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Firefox 3 was a super large and leaky memory hog for me.