Yay! Another article about XenForo!

Good article has been posted over on vBTruth - Let’s Think – The Real Reason for Internet Brands v. xenForo

ETA: To avoid any confusion, I didn't write this article, just found the link via Google news.

Liked the article and thanks for posting but I really wish folk writing these things would wake up to the fact that the legal action is being taken under English law and not American. In fact U.S legislation is likely to have very little baring if higher courts in the U.K or Commonwealth have made rulings on copyright law as it relates to software. I could very well argue under Australia law IB by making public their statement are a) infringing our commercial law as it relates to competition, and b) have breached privacy legislation. Since action is not being taken under Australian law our legislation is not relevant.

Totally agree Jethro.

Sometimes I get the impression that some people don't realise that U.S. law doesn't apply [yet] to the whole world.

Although here it would be down to higher UK or EU courts rather than Commonwealth ones.

Totally agree Jethro.

Sometimes I get the impression that some people don't realise that U.S. law doesn't apply [yet] to the whole world.
I would rather the US law not apply to the whole world, just the laws of democracy. All the other "niche laws" can be kept at home.

Totally agree Jethro.

Although here it would be down to higher UK or EU courts rather than Commonwealth ones.

Ah didn't know EU courts had jurisdiction, that's something I've learnt today.

Here it's previous judgement from same court, higher court (which over rules same court decision), any Commonwealth judgement. Vaguely think the only case I ran across that used a Commonwealth judgement was one to do with land and mantraps that used a Brit decision. And no not a lawyer, business law is about my lot though picked up some law via working for a few years for a legal outfit.

Ah didn't know EU courts had jurisdiction, that's something I've learnt today.

Here it's previous judgement from same court, higher court (which over rules same court decision), any Commonwealth judgement. Vaguely think the only case I ran across that used a Commonwealth judgement was one to do with land and mantraps that used a Brit decision. And no not a lawyer, business law is about my lot though picked up some law via working for a few years for a legal outfit.

Commonwealth judgements are somewhat relevant in the UK as well. I came across a couple in my Scots law degree but I couldn't honestly tell you where they fit in or how persuasive they'd be - just that we do come across them every now and then!

Liked the article and thanks for posting but I really wish folk writing these things would wake up to the fact that the legal action is being taken under English law and not American. In fact U.S legislation is likely to have very little baring if higher courts in the U.K or Commonwealth have made rulings on copyright law as it relates to software. I could very well argue under Australia law IB by making public their statement are a) infringing our commercial law as it relates to competition, and b) have breached privacy legislation. Since action is not being taken under Australian law our legislation is not relevant.

In this particular instance, doesn't American and English laws share a lot of commonalities though?

That's right! I prefer sources who write what they don't want to write, and nothing more. Nothing irks me more than articles that were written with enthusiasm <shudder>.

Having said that, there is no opinion in the Register piece, it is dry factual reporting.

Top Bottom