• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[xxmP] XenXero Media Player

I am looking for a nice interface which would allow users to easily upload content. The desire is for anyone to be able to upload content without any additional software or skills. A simple <browse> button to locate the file then push the <upload> button.

FTP is something easy for you and me. It is also something the majority of web users have never done before and is outside their comfort zone. In order to promote sharing, we need to offer the easiest possible solution.

I am looking for a nice interface which would allow users to easily upload content. The desire is for anyone to be able to upload content without any additional software or skills. A simple <browse> button to locate the file then push the <upload> button.

FTP is something easy for you and me. It is also something the majority of web users have never done before and is outside their comfort zone. In order to promote sharing, we need to offer the easiest possible solution.
Thats true.

An ajax uploader like the XF one for images would be nice, although maybe hard to implement. And maybe some sort of permission/warning settings to limit filesize as to the rules of the server the site is hosted on, otherwise people will be pissed to upload 100mb file and then find out the php limit is set to 99mb or something

Switch sides? How exactly did I switch sides when I don't use either of these mods yet.
And why does there have to be sides?

whoa....touche!

flowplayer and jwplayer are BOTH excellent.. peace

Code:
    <!-- START OF THE PLAYER EMBEDDING TO COPY-PASTE -->

<div id="mediaplayer">JW Player goes here</div>

<script type="text/javascript" 
        src="/jwplayer/jwplayer.js">
    </script>

<script type="text/javascript">
        jwplayer("mediaplayer").setup({
    flashplayer: "/jwplayer/player.swf",
        stretching: "none",
        file:"/videos/458nm.mp4",
        height: 580, 
        width: 1160
    });

</script>
    <!-- END OF THE PLAYER EMBEDDING -->

whoa....touche!

flowplayer and jwplayer are BOTH excellent.. peace

Code:
    <!-- START OF THE PLAYER EMBEDDING TO COPY-PASTE -->

<div id="mediaplayer">JW Player goes here</div>

<script type="text/javascript"
        src="/jwplayer/jwplayer.js">
    </script>

<script type="text/javascript">
        jwplayer("mediaplayer").setup({
    flashplayer: "/jwplayer/player.swf",
        stretching: "none",
        file:"/videos/458nm.mp4",
        height: 580,
        width: 1160
    });

</script>
    <!-- END OF THE PLAYER EMBEDDING -->
Where do you embed this? Which template?
And I guess you have to put the JW scripts on your installation somewhere, right?

Thanks

Start off creating a new page. Place the block of code in HTML section. Create your scripts folder off your root and update paths

Start off creating a new page. Place the block of code in HTML section. Create your scripts folder off your root and update paths
Wait, I thought this would allow me to embed the JW player in XF threads. So what you said means it will live outside of the posts?

Anyplace that accepts HTML .. I always start with a custom page to make sure it works with xenforo without any problems

Can we use BBCodes / other things to make it so when users share MegaVideo / youtube / and other website videos, it automatically embeds it into the flowplayer? If this can be done, it would be so AWESOME !

As long as you know the url of the video and you can retrieve it yes it is totally possible.

I will note that I won't post the way to do it unless you agree to leave the bbcode as is.

If I make one lets say for youtube...it would have to have a youtube splash image that you would click to play. I insist it remains the same as I would make it because it is youtube's video and to be fair I insist credit is givin where it is due.

As long as you show respect for the owner, most video sites I find do not have a problem with you using your own player...respect would be considered things like leaving credits, links and images that refer to the owner of said media. Some sites go out of their way to disable anything but their own player container however and there is nothing you can do about it.

As long as you know the url of the video and you can retrieve it yes it is totally possible.

I will note that I won't post the way to do it unless you agree to leave the bbcode as is.

If I make one lets say for youtube...it would have to have a youtube splash image that you would click to play. I insist it remains the same as I would make it because it is youtube's video and to be fair I insist credit is givin where it is due.

As long as you show respect for the owner, most video sites I find do not have a problem with you using your own player...respect would be considered things like leaving credits, links and images that refer to the owner of said media. Some sites go out of their way to disable anything but their own player container however and there is nothing you can do about it.

I actually was going to ask you how to make it so when a video is embedded the users know from which site it is from, when using it on the flowplayer. Also I was wondering if sites like megavideo / videobb / videozer , if you are able to do it for these sites, since these are the main ones I will need anyways.

Video urls for example are here:

http://videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=4GwvwyDqMZAk

http://videozer.com/video/3oK1O9D

http://megavideo.com/?v=5N6V4Z5F

Well here is what the problem is...there will not be an easy way to grab the video and place it in a custom player...mostly because those three example sites you posted went out of their way to make sure their player gets used...(probably for tracking reasons).

You can however work around this if you only want the container styling to match as it sits in a post where clicking it would actually be a call to embed and display the video container. This I can do with relatively speaking less effort.
What I mean is if you examine what happens when you try to get the actual video address form the embed code at megavideo:

http://megavideo.com/?v=5N6V4Z5F has a embed value for the media url of:
http://www.megavideo.com/v/5N6V4Z5F95ae009fa07e858ed4c803b8f5e60fba2
but if you paste that in or click it , you get sent to

http://wwwstatic.megavideo.com/mv_p...ae009fa07e858ed4c803b8f5e60fba.jpg&v=5N6V4Z5F

To reverse the effort of what they have done there would be super difficult for me (unless someone knows something about this I don't) and probably against their policy. I can't imagine them developing the scripting to do all the url rewriting and redirecting and whatever other fancy things they have going on there and not get pissed for people bypassing that.

So back to my idea of how to (assuming this is what is your end desire here) make video's from other sites not stick out like a sore thumb when not being viewed...if you want I can roughly mockup my idea for now...?

Well here is what the problem is...there will not be an easy way to grab the video and place it in a custom player...mostly because those three example sites you posted went out of their way to make sure their player gets used...(probably for tracking reasons).

You can however work around this if you only want the container styling to match as it sits in a post where clicking it would actually be a call to embed and display the video container. This I can do with relatively speaking less effort.
What I mean is if you examine what happens when you try to get the actual video address form the embed code at megavideo:

http://megavideo.com/?v=5N6V4Z5F has a embed value for the media url of:
http://www.megavideo.com/v/5N6V4Z5F95ae009fa07e858ed4c803b8f5e60fba2
but if you paste that in or click it , you get sent to

http://wwwstatic.megavideo.com/mv_p...ae009fa07e858ed4c803b8f5e60fba.jpg&v=5N6V4Z5F

To reverse the effort of what they have done there would be super difficult for me (unless someone knows something about this I don't) and probably against their policy. I can't imagine them developing the scripting to do all the url rewriting and redirecting and whatever other fancy things they have going on there and not get pissed for people bypassing that.

So back to my idea of how to (assuming this is what is your end desire here) make video's from other sites not stick out like a sore thumb when not being viewed...if you want I can roughly mockup my idea for now...?

That sounds good as well, there shouldn't be a problem with that as well. One of the reasons for using the player was to make all videos look similar to each other. Also wondering this site right here "sheepser.com" does this, the megavideo thing, you submit a megavideo url, and it would embed it into their own player and it would play for you.

Also a general question for anyone using the uploader...would it be more helpful for me to release one that when you click on the output from the uploader it's container changes to green and pastes the content into the editor for you?

Just wondering. If it is not I will drop that for now as I am just about done with it...(I can only do either of the two prime options I want for this but not both and I just need to find the conflict.) but I am stuck on a small issue and do not want to waste any more time brooding on what is probably a stupid mistake.

Also wondering this site right here "sheepser.com" does this, the megavideo thing, you submit a megavideo url, and it would embed it into their own player and it would play for you.
The problem is there is only two ways to accomplish what that site attempts to do.

Either download the video and re-host it

Or write a complex script that get's the video address and rewrites the needed part of the video url into like in that case a flowplayer container. Don't get me wrong that is pure awesomeness when it works right...but (you knew there was a but in there) if the site changes mechanically at all your script will probably be broken. And to be fair...you would need to be able to replicate whatever other plugins they have built for their current player (such as share, change resolution, info or whatever is there on a particular site) at least that is my opinion...they put the effort in to do what they did for a reason.

All that blabbering aside the idea of that is great but way more time consuming than I am willing or able to commit to. On the other hand...masking the default player by displaying a div.class with a placeholder splash image that get's poof'ed onClick is much simpler and faster and MUCH less work.

The problem is there is only two ways to accomplish what that site attempts to do.

Either download the video and re-host it

Or write a complex script that get's the video address and rewrites the needed part of the video url into like in that case a flowplayer container. Don't get me wrong that is pure awesomeness when it works right...but (you knew there was a but in there) if the site changes mechanically at all your script will probably be broken. And to be fair...you would need to be able to replicate whatever other plugins they have built for their current player (such as share, change resolution, info or whatever is there on a particular site) at least that is my opinion...they put the effort in to do what they did for a reason.

All that blabbering aside the idea of that is great but way more time consuming than I am willing or able to commit to. On the other hand...masking the default player by displaying a div.class with a placeholder splash image that get's poof'ed onClick is much simpler and faster and MUCH less work.

I think that could work as well, how easy is that o.O

http://xenxero.com/xxbB_copy/

this is a rough example of how the sidebar uploader widget will output the bbcode needed to embed a video...it will obviously be styled accordingly using for the most part xf @colors so it will blend with styles better.

I am willing to hear suggestions...I just can't guarantee that I can complete or implement any suggestion due to time and skill level.

EQnoble
Is it possible to have the sidebar upload visible to admin only?

Yup

Edit template: xxmU_sidebar
the first line..

Code:
<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, x} OR {xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, x}">

edit to reflect the user group you want in your case 3 for admin.

first line becomes

Code:
<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 3} OR {xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, x}">

the or is there in case you wanted to know how to setup more than one group...repeat the OR as needed.

EQnoble
Can you put up a sample on your site that use playlist of a couple hosted video?
The demo I saw on FP site does not give me any hint that the video I about to play contains several items, nor does it let me pick the one I want to play in the list.

I saw someone asked the same question there but no answer http://flowplayer.org/forum/2/37336

Top Bottom