[XT] Membermap

[XT] Membermap 1.0.2

No permission to download
Suggestion:

The statistic widget only list two members, before the ellipses ... and a number. That number is then duplicated in the widget footer. It looks like those two members are just the first two members registered? Which isn't that useful.

1622914050957.webp

Maybe leave the count in the footer, but in the main area list every user that is currently online, and on the map. Sort of like the normal 'Members online' widget, but for map members.

Add a tab to profiles to show a user on the map which loads with the focussed on the pin of the user.

1622914514704.webp

The statistic widget only list two members, before the ellipses ... and a number. That number is then duplicated in the widget footer. It looks like those two members are just the first two members registered? Which isn't that useful.
You have settings in the statistics widget, e.g. how many users shown in the widget.
StatisticWidget.webp

Add a tab to profiles to show a user on the map which loads with the focussed on the pin of the user.
Thats a good point, but it also makes lots of api request. Communities with a thousands of map entries cost a lot of money. I will think about it, maybe as an on/off option.

I have the same problem as RobinHood with the minimap. Location is set for my account and is displayed correctly on the main map but not on the minimap.
1622925131945.webp

I tried looking at this but couldn't' find any requests in the network tab with a X-Staticmap-API-Warning: header.
I tried the same, with the same result.

As suggested I use two different API keys. There are no errors listed in the console.
1622925376340.webp

I just updated to 1.0.2 but no changes.

Thats a good point, but it also makes lots of api request. Communities with a thousands of map entries cost a lot of money. I will think about it, maybe as an on/off option.
For this Issue you can use the MiniMap. This is a created image. And just link it to the real map.

Suggestion:
If user visiting Membermap index has a lat/long within their profile, use that as the Default Lat/Long for map display centering. Fall back to ACP Default Lat/Long if the user does not have lat/long within their profile. Thus, map will centre and zoom around users own location, and showing nearby users.
Bumping this suggestion. I think it would be really useful for members to go to the MemberMap and instantly see who is around them.

Do markers on the map only appear for users with permission to view the map?
I have 21k user markers, but only a handful are shown.
Code:
mysql> select count(user_id) from xf_user_profile where xt_mm_location_lat <> 0 and xt_mm_show_on_map = 1;
+----------------+
| count(user_id) |
+----------------+
|          21942 |
+----------------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

Thus, if only moderators user group currently has permission to view the map, will it only display markers of members of the moderators usergroup?

Thus, if only moderators user group currently has permission to view the map, will it only display markers of members of the moderators usergroup?
To answer my own question, yes this seems the case. Just added map view permissions to another usergroup, and instantly the map has more markers.

Is there a way to correct/fix this? All users with 'Show me on the membermap' selected are marker displayed, regardless of whether they have permission to see the map? I'd like high privilege/usergroup members to have access to the map and see everyone (who's account details allow it)

@Mouth thats correct. There're two criterias for hiding members on the map, first criteria is ignored members and second is permission to view membermap. It is cause the GDPR that every single user must have the option to disable the marker, if there is no permission to view the map the member also is not shown on the map.

Maybe anyone else will tell me/us their opinion about this part.

Suggestion:
If user visiting Membermap index has a lat/long within their profile, use that as the Default Lat/Long for map display centering. Fall back to ACP Default Lat/Long if the user does not have lat/long within their profile. Thus, map will centre and zoom around users own location, and showing nearby users.
Bumping this suggestion. I think it would be really useful for members to go to the MemberMap and instantly see who is around them.
Anyone with the same opinion?

It is cause the GDPR that every single user must have the option to disable the marker
"Show me on the membermap" within /account/account-details providing the GDPR requirement (and not every site has to adhere to GDPR anyway!). Also having the 'View membermap' permission affect marker display is duplication and restriction, in which case the permission narrative should be "View and show marker on membermap". If both need to be usergroup permissions based, then I'd suggest splitting them out into different permisisons.

Further, I'd argue/suggest that if someone is not showing themselves on the map ("Show me on the membermap" is unticked) then they shouldn't have permission to view the map. If they don't want themself displayed, why give them access to see everyone else?

Further, I'd argue/suggest that if someone is not showing themselves on the map ("Show me on the membermap" is unticked) then they shouldn't have permission to view the map. If they don't want themself displayed, why give them access to see everyone else?
Well, thats a good point.
(and not every site has to adhere to GDPR anyway!)
I am from Germany/Europe and we have to handle with GDPR. So it is always a critical point in everything i do.
If both need to be usergroup permissions based, then I'd suggest splitting them out into different permisisons.
Thats something i can agree.

But just as a hint. Its a free addon, its my free time and i also have family that want my time. So maybe its quick done or maybe not.

But just as a hint. Its a free addon, its my free time and i also have family that want my time. So maybe its quick done or maybe not.
Completely understand and appreciate that. Just offering thoughts ( and bugs! :) ) for consideration, if and when wanting to work on the add-on.

I disagree with this logic.

If you show yourself as offline in XenForo, it doesn't block you from viewing the users currently online list.

A users decision to appear on the map and their ability to view it shouldn't be linked and I could see it users getting confused if the visibility toggle also disables the map for them.

So there is a conflict. We have the following Opportunities:

Permission canViewMembermap => Enable/Disable viewing membermap
1. No permission = no view & no marker
2. No permission = no view & show marker

But does it makes sense for another permission?
Permission canViewMembermap => Enable/Disable viewing membermap
Permission canShowOnMembermap => Enable/Disable showing marker on membermap (also user choice showing on map & location field)

I think the actually version is the best. If a user has no view permission but has location & choice is true, he should still not shown on the map.

I think the actually version is the best. If a user has no view permission but has location & choice is true, he should still not shown on the map.
A users decision to appear on the map and their ability to view it shouldn't be linked

The actual/current usergroup permission descrption is wrong. It's described as being able to view the map, yet it also controls whether the user is displayed on the map. If a user has no permission to view the map, they also have no ability to add/remove themselves from being a marker on the map. At the very least, this should be corrected to be an accurate permissions description.

Currently, if you allow guests (non logged in) to view your MemberMap then they can see all markers. Why should this be different for logged in members? Or is guests seeing all markers a bug?

Unless you are giving view map permissions to your Registered Users usergroup (every member can see the map and be a marker), then the permissions and visibility becomes confusing. A VIP member can view the map and be a marker on the map, but not see registered users. If a VIP member fallbacks to a registered user, then they cannot decide whether to be seen as a marker on the map as they have no access to the map at all.

I feel that separating the usergroup permission for viewing the map and been seen on the map, allows for much wider admin and member scenarios, It also allows for much better privacy control, whether that be GDPR, local regulations, or site rules/policy.

Or is guests seeing all markers a bug?
Well, yes.. :unsure:

I think we're on the right way. Whats about the following situation:

1. Permission canViewMembermap => just for viewing the map (clear as guest and only my marker as user)
2. Permission showOnMembermap => shows all members on the map for those who can see the map (guest will not see markers)
2.1. Users choice if showing on map overrides the group permissions

If they don't want themself displayed, why give them access to see everyone else?
That can be a logical step. My thumbs up for this in a future version.

It would increase data protection slightly and provide some incentive to be displayed on the map.

My favorite:
1. Permission canViewMembermap => just for viewing the map (clear as guest and only my marker as user)
2. Permission showOnMembermap => shows all members on the map for those who can see the map (guest will not see markers)
2.1. Users choice if showing on map overrides the group permissions

But I can also live with the old current version. :)

Is the member map v 1.0.3 currently save to use? Unfortunately it's still pre-release on Github...
I'm just asking for a friend.:D ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom