XML Sitemap for XenForo 1.3 [Not needed, included in 1.4]

I submitted the sitemap, but this is what's showing for all urls:
errror.webp

The urls are accessible.

Could it be that special characters aren't accepted (á, é, í, ó ú etc)?

Thanks

Yes I can. It's weird because the sitemap generator works just fine on my English-only site.

I am using Jaxel's XenUtiles now.

Question - why is the sitemap buried in a sitemap folder on the server, rather than being in the forum root?

Question - why is the sitemap buried in a sitemap folder on the server, rather than being in the forum root?

You can either have it mapped in the robots.txt
e.g. http://fanficslandia.com/robots.txt

Or you can submit almost any URL in Google Webmaster Tools

And .. if you have it enabled to ping Google, it would be autodiscovered anyway

--------------------

And about the why?
Having it in the root folder means you need to either chmod 666 the specific files (which is a mess for splitting), or that you have to chmod 777 the XenForo directory (which is a security problem), or that you have a proxy script and then you have to use mod_rewrite to reach it (which is additional configuration)

It's just much easier and secure this way :) The only thing that it would be missing from the vb hack is the actual registry that Google downloaded the map. Since you can get that from Webmaster Tools anyway we are probably not loosing much

You can either have it mapped in the robots.txt
e.g. http://fanficslandia.com/robots.txt

Or you can submit almost any URL in Google Webmaster Tools

And .. if you have it enabled to ping Google, it would be autodiscovered anyway

--------------------

And about the why?
Having it in the root folder means you need to either chmod 666 the specific files (which is a mess for splitting), or that you have to chmod 777 the XenForo directory (which is a security problem), or that you have a proxy script and then you have to use mod_rewrite to reach it (which is additional configuration)

It's just much easier and secure this way :) The only thing that it would be missing from the vb hack is the actual registry that Google downloaded the map. Since you can get that from Webmaster Tools anyway we are probably not loosing much

Thanks for the explanation Rigel. I feel better about it now. :)
I do have it in my robots.txt file.

Hi Rigel.

I would like to be able to customize the site map a bit more. Some examples:

- I am adding pages to my site, and I use add-ons such as LN Blog which generate pages.

- I would like to exclude pages from my site without making them into private forums. For example, I have a Tweet Tracker feed. Whenever a tweet happens on a specific subject, a post is made. I don't wish for these threads to appear in search results so I have blocked them in my robots.txt. The issue is my Google WMT is full of errors from my site map providing these URLs but Google being blocked by robots.txt when they try to crawl them.

- Lastly, I would like to generate a HTML sitemap and offer a link to it in my footer

Can you share any feedback on the above or let me know what sitemap software is used so I can research making these adjustments?

Hi Rigel.

I would like to be able to customize the site map a bit more. Some examples:

- I am adding pages to my site, and I use add-ons such as LN Blog which generate pages.

- I would like to exclude pages from my site without making them into private forums. For example, I have a Tweet Tracker feed. Whenever a tweet happens on a specific subject, a post is made. I don't wish for these threads to appear in search results so I have blocked them in my robots.txt. The issue is my Google WMT is full of errors from my site map providing these URLs but Google being blocked by robots.txt when they try to crawl them.

- Lastly, I would like to generate a HTML sitemap and offer a link to it in my footer

Can you share any feedback on the above or let me know what sitemap software is used so I can research making these adjustments?

I do not have a personal interest in making those changes (as I don't need them for my site), but the code for this hack is free, feel free to download it and make any changes you want.

The pages is one that might be worth adding, though. The LN one seems like something that should be offered by the LN Blog.

Does the HTML sitemap provide you with any real SEO advantage? I have seen Google penalizing more and more anything that looks like a link farm.

Thank you Rigel.

My main question is...did you take existing sitemap code and provide the intergration with XF? If so, I would like to learn more about how the software works. If you obtained the code from sitemap.com or another source, I would love to know so I can go there and learn how to customize the code for my needs.

As far as link farms, they refer to links to other sites, not your internal site links. The HTML site map is purely a tool like your navigation bar to help users find content on your site. It is recommend by Google and SEO experts.

hallo bekomme diese meldung bei google

URL nicht zulässig
Diese URL ist für eine XML-Sitemap an dieser Position nicht zulässig.

hi get this message on google

URL not allowed
This URL is not for a Sitemap at this position allowed.

und diese meldung bekomme ich im admin unter Fehlerprotokolle

and I get this message in error logs under admin

Code:
Zend_Controller_Response_Exception: Cannot send headers; headers already sent in , line 0 - library/Zend/Controller/Response/Abstract.php:321
Erstellt von: Unbekanntes Benutzerkonto, Vor 29 Minuten
Stapelverfolgung

#0 /var/www/xxx/html/forum/library/Zend/Controller/Response/Abstract.php(115): Zend_Controller_Response_Abstract->canSendHeaders(true)
#1 /var/www/xxx/html/forum/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/HtmlAdmin.php(17): Zend_Controller_Response_Abstract->setHeader('Content-Type', 'text/html; char...', true)
#2 /var/www/xxx/html/forum/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Admin.php(107): XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlAdmin->__construct(Object(XenForo_Dependencies_Admin), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
#3 /var/www/xxx/html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(499): XenForo_Dependencies_Admin->getViewRenderer(Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http), 'html', Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
#4 /var/www/xxx/html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(139): XenForo_FrontController->_getViewRenderer('html')
#5 /var/www/xxx/html/forum/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#6 {main}

Benötigter Status

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(134) "http://forum.link-drin.de/admin.php?cron/cemzoo_rebuild_sitemap/run&_xfToken=1%2C1307723011%2Ca53b0b41a1390ad0dc8bbd16ff712380e33a26d8"
  ["_GET"] => array(2) {
    ["cron/cemzoo_rebuild_sitemap/run"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfToken"] => string(53) "1,1307723011,a53b0b41a1390ad0dc8bbd16ff712380e33a26d8"
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {

Thank you Rigel.

My main question is...did you take existing sitemap code and provide the intergration with XF? If so, I would like to learn more about how the software works. If you obtained the code from sitemap.com or another source, I would love to know so I can go there and learn how to customize the code for my needs.

As far as link farms, they refer to links to other sites, not your internal site links. The HTML site map is purely a tool like your navigation bar to help users find content on your site. It is recommend by Google and SEO experts.

No, everything is coded from scratch. I did take the sitemap xml definition that had to be generated, of course :)

Top Bottom