[XI] Blog [Paid] [Deleted]

Onimua, but what about my problem?

More detail my problem described here ...
What you posted is a suggestion, not necessarily a problem.

For a blog, it's likely there will be an increase the number of authors that can be in a blog, but I doubt it will ever include entire user groups.

That's something planned, but I don't know the ETA on it as there are other things that are currently higher priority.
This is an exciting feature because on other sites like ign.com they have featured images for blogs and are able to promote selected user blogs to the main page.

This is an exciting feature because on other sites like ign.com they have featured images for blogs and are able to promote selected user blogs to the main page.
The latter part of your statement is already well underway. ;)

Reactions: DRE
When is this blog going out of beta and when will you import blogs from vB3?
Stuart, honestly I would look at the history of this product, because it is extremely slow. I purchased this long ago, with following statements things were weeks away, and here we are a year later, still no actual progress.

I refuse to install this because the developers are on a serious go slow with their development, which doesn't meet live site requirements. I think XF will have a stable blog product out before this ever becomes viable, based on history of this product to date.

Sorry... but my opinion of Xenfluence is they're useless for software development.

Stuart, honestly I would look at the history of this product, because it is extremely slow. I purchased this long ago, with following statements things were weeks away, and here we are a year later, still no actual progress.

I refuse to install this because the developers are on a serious go slow with their development, which doesn't meet live site requirements. I think XF will have a stable blog product out before this ever becomes viable, based on history of this product to date.

Sorry... but my opinion of Xenfluence is they're useless for software development.

The add-on was completely restarted late last year/early this year so I don't know how you can say that development is slow when it was almost essentially coded twice. Since it was released a new update has been posted every month or two, which isn't slow at all.

If you mean slow in terms as introducing new functionality... Yes, and it's that way intentionally so that large quantities of bugs aren't introduced. Most of the features that are included aren't often included in a v1.x blog platform. It already offers many of the features included with IPB, and more than is offered by vBulletin.

There are a lot of new features and functionality planned, and integration with other add-ons which people will find useful.

. Most of the features that are included aren't often included in a v1.x blog platform. It already offers many of the features included with IPB, and more than is offered by vBulletin.
I'm not so sure about this. When I was on vBulletin 4, the blog may not have had as many view permissions settings (such as the extra one I requested) but it did have more powerful SEO features such as pingback, refbacks and I think linkbacks (not sure on the last one). Not only that, we could click on a link on one of our thread posts and turn it into a blog. AND you could customize the blog background which you can't do on this blog software but is done in Better Blogs from Rigel. If you put both of your blog features together, you pretty much get vBulletin Blogs plus minus several important features but at least some extra features that sorta make up for it.

Last edited:
The add-on was completely restarted late last year/early this year so I don't know how you can say that development is slow when it was almost essentially coded twice. Since it was released a new update has been posted every month or two, which isn't slow at all.
Maybe, but compared to other scripts it is still slow. Fx I asked in March when xf rocks widget support would be enabled, and that would be at RC stage, at the earliest. In the mean time, a full featured gallery has been released, with full widget block support. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/sonnb-xengallery.2076/.
I agree with Anthony, I also refuse to install this because development is so slow. Personally I do no expect widget support until 6 months or so from now, and I will not wait for that, even though I bought a license.

Maybe, but compared to other scripts it is still slow. Fx I asked in March when xf rocks widget support would be enabled, and that would be at RC stage, at the earliest. In the mean time, a full featured gallery has been released, with full widget block support. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/sonnb-xengallery.2076/.
I agree with Anthony, I also refuse to install this because development is so slow. Personally I do no expect widget support until 6 months or so from now, and I will not wait for that, even though I bought a license.

I was talking to Onimua about this recently, so I'll bring it up again.

The thing about supporting third-party add-ons is that it's never just one add-on. Some people want Widget Framework, others want XenPorta (which neither of us likes using) and there are other add-ons people want support for. When you're actively developing an add-on, and portions of the add-on are likely to change, it makes supporting other products much more difficult.

And what do you people consider slow development? Development isn't the fastest because this isn't the only thing Onimua works on, nor is it the slowest.

As far as feature introduction goes major features have been introduced, or revised with every update and the breaks between updates are so that bugs can be found and fixed. We could just introduce our whole feature list all at once and then deal with a ton of bugs that need to be fixed which will make development even slower.

As I mentioned before there are major overhauls of code planned, including the category system which will allow for custom category selection per blog. There is also integration with a Portal that AzzidReign from Se7enSins funded and that is being used in private testing (very basic currently) and is made with big boards and active news sites in mind.

So while it might seem slow, it is mostly that a lot of ground work and planning is done so that we can scale out the add-on(s) in the future and support more functionality and integration.

I was talking to Onimua about this recently, so I'll bring it up again.

The thing about supporting third-party add-ons is that it's never just one add-on. Some people want Widget Framework, others want XenPorta (which neither of us likes using) and there are other add-ons people want support for. When you're actively developing an add-on, and portions of the add-on are likely to change, it makes supporting other products much more difficult.
I agree, but thats life. In earlier days you could just create a forum or a blog, now you also have to create facebook pages, linkedin pages, twitter accounts etc. to have your stories seen. Similarly with the this blog, probably a lot of good blog features, but I see no point in adding a blog if I cannot show new entries, or latest blog replies, to the users in the sidebar when they browse the forums. I do not expect anyone to waste time clicking the blog link to check for (eventueally) new blog entries.

So, in short, for my site, all these blog features you mention, are not useful at all if I cannot "advertise" the blog and the features on my own site. And this is Xenforo, we Xenforo users use either widget framework or Xenporta for that, eventually check the most popular addon-list.

You can see below what Bobster does to market his showcase addon to make it popular and useful on the sites.

Thanks for nice reply, anyway. However, betas for now 6 months, and probably RC´s for several months also, if we cannot call it slow, lets call it "not that fast".

show.webp

I agree, but thats life. In earlier days you could just create a forum or a blog, now you also have to create facebook pages, linkedin pages, twitter accounts etc. to have your stories seen. Similarly with the this blog, probably a lot of good blog features, but I see no point in adding a blog if I cannot show new entries, or latest blog replies, to the users in the sidebar when they browse the forums. I do not expect anyone to waste time clicking the blog link to check for (eventueally) new blog entries.

So, in short, for my site, all these blog features you mention, are not useful at all if I cannot "advertise" the blog and the features on my own site. And this is Xenforo, we Xenforo users use either widget framework or Xenporta for that, eventually check the most popular addon-list.

You can see below what Bobster does to market his showcase addon to make it popular and useful on the sites.

Thanks for nice reply, anyway. However, betas for now 6 months, and probably RC´s for several months also, if we cannot call it slow, lets call it "not that fast".

View attachment 52777
Pay a developer to create a xenporta or bd widget block for you.

@Forsaken and @Onimua When I get a XI Blog sidebar block created for my own site am I allowed to release it?

View attachment 52777
Pay a developer to create a xenporta or bd widget block for you.

@Forsaken and @Onimua When I get a XI Blog sidebar block created for my own site am I allowed to release it?

Onimua just told me that he will just be doing some widgets soon as Beta 4 is stable enough for most people to run live.

The portal I mentioned before will support publishing threads or blog entries through auto-promotion or manual promotion.

Onimua just told me that he will just be doing some widgets soon as Beta 4 is stable enough for most people to run live.

The portal I mentioned before will support publishing threads or blog entries through auto-promotion or manual promotion.
:eek:

Well, sooner than that as that is already the present case.
To clarify: Aside from auto-posting entries from select blogs or users, everything else is already present and operational on 2 sites, in case anyone was wondering.

To clarify: Aside from auto-posting entries from select blogs or users, everything else is already present and operational on 2 sites, in case anyone was wondering.
Link or screenshots?

There was suppose to be a comma in there, but you know... Barely slept recently :p.

Link or screenshots?

It's not really worth showing at this point as it's basically just used to display news until more functionality is added. Onimua had to rush out alpha 1 (that isn't even an alpha) so that we could use it for E3.

Xenfluence is down. I wanted to look at the demo. Can someone show me a demo of their blog?

I'm trying to remember if XI Blog has star ratings or not and do these star ratings show up in google search results?

Top Bottom