xFhost reviews?

Stockwalker

Hi guys,

so I decided to leave HostGator and now onto xFhost. I heard it was bought out from some big firm and some guys said it will be in the same situation as hostgator in some time. And also heard it was a one-man operation, and also that the support is very bad (lying and stuff)? However, some other reviewers said it's quite a good hosting.

So please help me decide!!

Thanks

You have it just the opposite. I sold xF Host last year to a bigger firm who since then has pretty much abandoned it now with lack of support and majority of clients have moved on, some back to me as a few communities asked me to please still host them after I sold and there was never no non-compete in the contract so I agreed to do so, now offering hosting based on custom packages to fit that particular forum's needs. All the good reviews if you look at dates, were made while I still owned it and majority of complaints were made after the sale, sure we have a few bad reviews too.. Every company does. I'd be happy to discuss a custom package designed to fit your forum needs if you'd like to send me a PM.

A lot of the reviews about XFHost were when Mike Edge was in charge. Do note that he is a one man band...

As a former customer of XFHost, i would highly recommend you avoid XFHost. Feel free to read the numerous reviews on how XFHost conducts its business...oh and its 'support' too. You will find many many people on here who have tried XFHost and promptly moved on.

A lot of the reviews about XFHost were when Mike Edge was in charge. Do note that he is a one man band...

As a former customer of XFHost, i would highly recommend you avoid XFHost. Feel free to read the numerous reviews on how XFHost conducts its business...oh and its 'support' too. You will find many many people on here who have tried XFHost and promptly moved on.

Please do remember, you were a client for less then a week and never truly used my services back then as you could not figure out how to change your name servers. Since then you have added me to follow and posted in every thread regarding me since. Stalker much?

There's nothing wrong with a one man hosting company. I've been running one for several years now and not one customer has left, ever. I imagine people like Mike and I give truly the best hosting possible. Some of these huge companies might have a 24 hour support line and all, but how often is it that you get a insightful first response from them? And how likely are they to get into the server config to change something for you? If a change doesn't pose a security threat or threaten the integrity of the system, why is it such a big deal to install a module you might need?

I'm glad you found Mike and I hope it you never decide to move to some overcrowded big company host again.

When KH-Flare moved from Bluehost to HostGator, the issues were even worse and the site was down 99% of the time. Then we moved to XF Host on July 8; we haven't had one downtime since!

I'm not sure if we're with Mike, but XF Host is awesome!

Last edited:
I don't normally talk bad about other hosts, but bluehost is the reason I decided to start doing it myself. After 5 years of being a customer and having dabbled in linux security for a couple more years on top of that, I knew I could do better.

I don't normally talk bad about other hosts, but bluehost is the reason I decided to start doing it myself. After 5 years of being a customer and having dabbled in linux security for a couple more years on top of that, I knew I could do better.

Bluehost is what KH-Flare had since the site opened on August 30, 2011 and it was fine until the beginning of last month. For some reason, we started having issues with the host out of nowhere.

More information here.

Bluehost is what KH-Flare had since the site opened on August 30, 2011 and it was fine until the beginning of last month. For some reason, we started having issues with the host out of nowhere.

More information here.
For me, they had a hard drive crash and the R1 backups were also corrupted. I had just spent 50 hours building a site the night it happened. They didn't even give me my money back for that month. So I left and never returned.

I think the real jewels of hosting are reputable smaller hosts now. I haven't used xFhost because I already run a hosting company and don't have the need, but if I did need a host, I'd give them a try. :)

For me, it is about support. I want whoever is responding to my support ticket, to have a clue or two. Big companies that hire folks that may or may not be as passionate about hosting as smaller host just can't compete.

Last edited:
I think the bigger problem is that most of the large hosts outsource their support staff to lord knows where. Before I'm labeled a racist, there are plenty of quality techs in India and other places. But often, those techs. don't have the appropriate server access, billing access, etc., so your ticket gets escalated through 4 or 5 people before you finally get somebody who can actually fix your problem, hours later. It can be a mess.

On the opposite side of that is the one-man host. And Strong is absolutely right. You're likely to get a far more personalized service when the owner is the person dealing with your tickets and your account day in and day out. The problem is that usually these people have to sleep (I hope! LOL), hopefully go on vacation, etc. Not a big deal if you're running a personal site, or they still reply to your tickets 24/7. If you're running a business and losing money every minute your site is down, then a one-man host might not be for you. It just depends on your needs.

At the end of the day, it's literally a matter of changing nameservers and copying a few files, to move to a new host. Try some out, and if they don't meet your expectations, just take the 10 minutes to move elsewhere. Sometimes it's a matter of shopping around until you find exactly what suits your needs.

Nimbus hosting seems to buck this trend, every time ive had to speak to someone, the first person i've spoken to has had the knowledge and the capability to resolve the issue quickly and efficiently.

Do they outsource their support though? It's quite possible their support staff is all in-house, in which case the techs likely have access to what they need to have access to.

Do they outsource their support though? It's quite possible their support staff is all in-house, in which case the techs likely have access to what they need to have access to.

Well thats what I was implying, they keep it all in house, so no worries about it being outsourced.

After much thought and research, I went to knownhost for a USA based VPS vendor. I think their support is here in the USA - the one ticket I sent in took less than 5 minutes and it was elevated to the person who could actually fix it (they needed to do something because the initial DNS setup was not working on their end).

No one is perfect - but most one-man companies simply don't have the time and resources to respond within a few minutes. I felt bad with my old host when I sent him texts on Sundays, Holidays, etc. - not so with KH.

Oh, and as to the VPS - so far, so good. It's never hit over 1% of the CPU use yet (it's on a 24CPU machine and obviously not oversold)....lots of room to grow.

I did the Texas datacenter because a lot of my traffic is CA and TX, so that's a bit closer.

I think my old large site (hearth.com) is going to Nimbus - it would be nice if they rented a couple racks in the USA to expand...they would certainly have a market!

As to xfhost, I only used them in the early days and the server crashed again and again so I had to move it after a month or two. Your mileage may vary and if your site is a hobby (not about income or your reputation, etc.), then your standards may be different. I got spoiled because my old host had my site running for 10+ years with less than 3 hours per year downtime and no data loss, etc.

I'm currently hosing in Europe (Netherlands). The company is based on one person, but if something critical is happening he's there 24/7. He has many alert systems for all of the managed websites under his account. So if one of my websites is down more than 15min, he gets an alert, even if it's in the middle of the night/holidays/his birthday. In addition, all tickets with "high" priority are triggering an alert (probably on his phone), so he's responding in minutes.
My review is also here:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1327056

I'm currently a year with this company and can't be happier, and this is from somebody who's super picky. I have 3 VPS with him, two are managed, one isn't.

I was on xfhost with Mike sometime during the whole sale thing and stayed with Mike. He helped me out a lot at first then subsequently completely cut off all communication with me without any explanation and I was forced to switch hosts in order to be confident in my service. I'm not the only one this happened to. Did a little "Mike stalking" myself then just moved on. Happy now with what I've got.

As far as the new xfhost, I'd stay away from them too.

Top Bottom