XF 2.0 XF1 - XF2 Importing only certain data? User / Post Data

I did an XF2 upgrade the other day. Finally got it to work, but there were too many issues with the database and was causing all kinds of slow downs and other server side issues that I just did a completely fresh install of XF2.

Is there a way at all to get the XF1 data for users and posts only and import those into the XF2 install? We are talking about a small amount of users and posts. However, if possible I don't want to lose them.

You can do an XF2 to XF2 import, but we don't recommend this for anything other than a true import (like for merging sites).

Given that with XF2, no add-ons will be running (unless you installed new ones), so I doubt a fresh install and import would actually solve the issues. You may be better explaining the problems you had and getting them resolved.

Clean install of XF2 has fixed the speed issues. The upgrade caused chaos, no addons or styles before doing the upgrade. I did manage to export the XF2 data after the upgrade because it did carry over the user data and posts, etc. But because of the horrible performance, I uninstalled it and did a fresh install. Everything worked fine at that point.

I know you can do an XF2 to XF2, but I am hesitatant to do this if there is something that has caused the problems from within the database.

If I can't do an import of users/posts from the XF1 database backup, can I target just that information from the XF2 database backups?

Roughly speaking, the only way to safely take data from one install into another is via an import. You can't really selectively pull tables from one to the other. You would need to do this from the XF2 version of the data though, as the importer is specifically for importing from XF2.

Given that with XF2, no add-ons will be running (unless you installed new ones), so I doubt a fresh install and import would actually solve the issues. You may be better explaining the problems you had and getting them resolved.
I get it, I really do. Our XenForo install is a hacky mess from years ago when there were inefficient indexes sprinkled throughout the source code and multi-second page loads as a result. Starting fresh, for us, is the best path forward. I highly suspect we're not alone with making the most out of our XF install at the time, and there are other people in the same boat.

Please explore creating a XF1 -> XF2 importer, doing something truly awful like going to vBulletin and back again would be impractical to say the least.

There are no plans to do an XF1 to XF2 importer on the basis that you can always upgrade the XF1 installation to XF2 for the purposes of importing.

That's a shame. I reinstalled XF1 on another server, imported the data back into it and it works fine. Did an upgrade to XF2 and it's killing my speeds, practically doesn't load. Did another fresh install of XF2, no problems... and no data.

Top Bottom