XF software download from customer-interface ?

erich37

I do have a few XF-licences, so I have the following question please:

when downloading the XF-software from my customer-interface, do I need to download each software-package associated to the domain or can I just use always the same .zip-File for all my websites ?

I mean: is the download-package (the XF .zip-file) technically associated to the domain I have listed within the XF-software download ?

Do I need to download the software each time for all my domains ?

Yes, absolutely positive.

The software is tied to the domain which is why you need to update your license if you ever switch domains.

Yes, absolutely positive.

The software is tied to the domain which is why you need to update your license if you ever switch domains.

Is the software physically tied (i.e. it does a server lookup or something?)

The reason I ask is that I've tried installing XF (unsucessfully) on a test domain which isn't the one I've currently got listed on the license. However, I've also installed it on localhost so assume that means it doesn't run any checks.

It's rather simple to find what actually changes between each download - just download each package and run a file comparing tool on the folder. :)

I am just wondering whether my Forums still work technically for the moment or whether I need to re-install all of them again ?

I can only speak from experience...

If the system is anything like vB then it's more a matter of record keeping than it is restrictions in the software, and the most important thing is that you have a valid license pointing to each public installation of the software. I am guessing xenForo has a similar system.

For consistency and record keeping you should download the package for each individual license the next time you upgrade. In the meantime you probably don't need to worry about having used one package for multiple installs as long as each install has a valid license to back it.

Top Bottom