Upgrading from 1.5.x Clarity required on which 2.x upgrade package to download from customer portal.

skicomau

As 1.5 approaches end of life, there will be a great many boards out there seeking to upgrade.

I strongly suggest that you improve the language in the customer portal to reduce potential confusion.

It would be very useful if the language in the customer portal helped guide those upgrading and clarified that they may upgrade from 1.5.x directly to 2.1.2 (which is the latest version at time of writing). The language is not clear enough. Now that there are 16 versions of 2.x the language in the screenshot below could be interpreted as only suitable for upgrading from earlier versions of 2.x..

As it stands, I have to assume it is suitable to leap from 1.5.x to 2.1.2 - but it is NOT clear. You guys (@Brogan @Mike) should have been around the block enough times now to know that assumptions are bad.

Presumably at some point - future versions of 2.x upgrades will not be compatible with the giant leap of upgrading from 1.5.x.

191105 xenforo.jpg

All you need in the the copy above is. 'This upgrade package is suitable for migrating from 1.5.x', or similar such phrase.

thanks

/2c spent

Last edited:
It has always been possible to upgrade from any version to any version.

That has been made clear enough over the years, in tickets, posts, FAQs, etc.

A simple search would have confirmed that.

It has always been possible to upgrade from any version to any version.

That has been made clear enough over the years, in tickets, posts, FAQs, etc.

A simple search would have confirmed that.

A simple search did not confirm that for me. I went looking. You are intimate with your product. I am not. I drop in here maybe twice a year.

It's also in the manual....

damn, I have had that page open all morning and did not see that line. Could have saved myself from the wrath of Brogan. So that's on me. My apologies. Thank you Kevin

It's almost like we didn't assume that people knew that.

Your propeller-head arrogance is all over these forums Brogan and it bores me as I'm sure it does many others - plus it is unbecoming to the business of Xenforo. Us customers, we're the ones that enable you to pull down an earn from this business. But you will get what you want, I won't ever bother you again. That will be the last time I ever tag you in a post here.

Here's a one last UX clue for you, the customer download portal is the one touch-point with the single most leverage on the matter of installation and upgrade procedures, yet there are no links to installation or upgrade FAQ's whatsoever. You might save yourself from quite a number of these troublesome support threads if you did an ounce of customer journey mapping.

Here I am, a longtime, consistently paying annual license and upgrade customer prepared to engage with the product I have purchased and you take an opportunity to be pointy and rude. That's ok, I got you pegged now. I'll just lower my expectations from now on.

Top Bottom