XF 2.1 XF & Multiple Registrations

Alfuzzy

How does XF guard against multiple registrations by the same user/member?

Is it IP address...email address...username...a combination of these...or something else totally different?

Thanks

Ban ip, they can get around with VPN.

Ban email address, they can use a new one.

Put the username in the banned list, they can pick a new one.

There's really no way to discourage a problematic user except for being on top of it to ban again.

It's not really guarded against, save for that your limited to a single ID per email. There are however decent add-on's that help. That add-on helps as one of the tools but it's not an easy button.

1598572021656.png

1598572284998.png

Last edited:
Ban ip, they can get around with VPN.

Ban email address, they can use a new one.

Put the username in the banned list, they can pick a new one.

There's really no way to discourage a problematic user except for being on top of it to ban again.
Thanks for the info. I'm aware of all these possibilities...been dealing with all of those situations with vBulletin for 12 years before migrating to XF. Was just checking to see if XF had any special way of dealing with this.:)

I'd prefer to verify identities at registration. Emails, ID's, generic Q&A and IP's are for separating anonymous people from bots. Validate against FB, Google, a 3rd party add-on that costs my users a $mall amount, whatever, but something that makes the option of anonymity an option for the admin.

Signup abuse detection and blocking, in the resource section.

Awesome...thanks for clarifying. I did see earlier about getting an API key for Stop Forum Spam.

Top Bottom