Resource icon

XF Basic Dictionary (A-Z)

Morgain

Morgain submitted a new resource:

XF Basic Dictionary (A-Z) - A list of definitions of names and jargon used on XF for new maybe not so new admins

A basic list of XF words or jargon for new admins or admins having a blond moment! There are two versions, an A-Z list, and a list in categories. The categories list is recommended for first reading.

Addon – an extra piece of XF stuff which adds functions or changes appearances.
Admin – the first user created by the system. Admins have ability to create other users and give...

Read more about this resource...

There are two versions. The Categories one groups the words, and builds familiarity as you read down the groups. So you never have to read a word which is frustratingly explained later on.

Last edited:
Tradeoff shouldn't even enter into the picture. You either make it readable, or just don't do it.
Wow! what a grumpy comment. I think it would be silly to just take it down esp as people are Liking it, and I saw a definite need for it. I would rather wait and find out what people find easier - scrolling down with larger font, or using a compact page without scrollling so much but small font.

On small font, you can always use CTR++ I often have to do this on all your sites where the font is too small for me!

OK I have set both versions in font size 2 - although this one already was when Optima posted so soory no it's not going up further to 3.

You need to redefine the term Admin. Admin is a title given to someone who has privileges to administrate the forum. It's not necessarily the first user created (and some people purposely demote User ID 1 to make it harder to find admin accounts).

Also, the term default needs updating as the footer isn't default in shipped XenForo packages either.

Homepage – optional extra basic start page. Some XF admins choose to have the forum list itself as the first ‘landing page for visitors. Some want a different kind of start page. This can be linked on a Home link on the top navbar. Or make it directly the arrival page.

I would suggest rewording this - the current wording is a little misleading as it sounds like there's an optional start page included.

Also, since you've stated Official Addons.. I would suggest changing Addons to Third Party Addons - just for consistency. Also, it's Add-Ons, if you want to stay consistent within XenForo (check out how they have it listed in the RM).

I did that so it's easier to scroll down not making a lengthy page. It's a trade off between scrolling down and font size readability.
I can try this version in font size 2 and see how it works. Compare the other one (Categories version)

I don't get the problem with scrolling. What problems does it make? As you read this thread, you are scrolling as well. Is it a problem? Should the font be smaller so the whole thread would fit on the display?

Still too small.

Is this accurate?

Usergroup – a group defined by the admin, or by moderators if allowed by admin). A usergroup can be given various capacities eg editing their own posts. A usergroup can also be given access to some areas, and not others.

Moderators can't create usergroups.

This is also inaccurate:

Moderators/ Mods – special status usergroup who can e.g. edit users posts, move them, delete them, monitor users’ posts before they appear publicly, and more, all according to how the Moderator group is defined.

Adding a member to the Moderating user group does not make them a moderator.
That is an explicit action.

I feel there are too many errors in this resource and it is misleading.

@James I have slightly edited the Admins description to reflect your point. Also added your exception re footer to the Default item.
@Azhria Lilu I have reworded the Homepage item to be clearer I hope.
On the Addons/ Add-Ons/ Third Party Add-ons issue this was especially helpful. I have added a DISCLAIMER at the bottom to make it clear this list is only about wording in everyday common usage, and used this as an illustrative example.
@Brogan I have edited the descripion of Moderator quite a bit.

On the font size issue vs scrolling this just isn't going to please everyone whichever way I do it. I may add a text file download which could be a fix. I'd prepared this and Azhria also thinks this a good solution (on the other version thread).
However I'll wait to edit based on any more helpful critiques, before I upload it.

Thank you for all the great helps and critiques. I have done my best to edit and include as you have all directed. This is the strength of community at work - whether it's addons or tutorials, discussion of issues or community support, friendly contribution/ feedback from other admins makes better resources than one brain working alone.

Last edited:
Pages" don't get a mention, that I can see... might want to add a line about them.
You think? I havent put in different kinds of nodes, just forums of course. Hmm maybe Categories as well, and LinkForums. Bit worried about it getting too long. It's not meant to be comprehensive I mean people should go to Brogan's manual. This is just my usual basic basic level work.

You think? I havent put in different kinds of nodes, just forums of course. Hmm maybe Categories as well, and LinkForums. Bit worried about it getting too long. It's not meant to be comprehensive I mean people should go to Brogan's manual. This is just my usual basic basic level work.

What made me think about it was Homepage and Brogan's site. He uses the Pages system for his homepage, so my next step (in my head) was maybe a nod towards Pages.

yeah I see your point and I did add all the nodes/
But I have to cut off before getting into the compications of how to do things/ options. This is just meant to be a quick defintiions thing. Not a manual.

yeah I see your point and I did add all the nodes/
But I have to cut off before getting into the compications of how to do things/ options. This is just meant to be a quick defintiions thing. Not a manual.

I think it would be more useful with all the definitions and terms, I personally wouldn't worry about how long the list is. It wouldn't matter how much you try to eliminate scrolling since all people use different resolutions so they differ from one another. I don't think it's a great hindrance with the scrolling thing since people are doing this already, it's a good source that deserves to be added to over time.

Top Bottom