XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with those "major" changes, if they will come with the 2.3 version, probably I will stay on 2.2 for many, many, many, MANY months.

I mean they added responsive design (which I'd assume being a more "major" "design change") in a dot release. Was is 1.2?
Yes it was: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/responsive-design.50888/

So whatever that is, Kier is teasing in this thread, does not seem to be unheard of.

That said...

I would absolutely not consider this a "major" feature. Like as a developer, you'd spill some (really really) minor beans here and there to let customers know that the small things are not forgotten.

However, the truly cool stuff ("major" features), you try to keep secret and release them with a bang. Be it a keynote or be it HYS.

Even with those "major" changes, if they will come with the 2.3 version, probably I will stay on 2.2 for many, many, many, MANY months.
For me, it depends on what is there. My board is fairly simple now that I've removed Xenporta, which was the most likely add-on of mine to break. So, if there's anything I am interested in, I will likely move fairly quickly. Might wait for 2.3.1 in case there's any bugs in the 2.3.0 release but will probably at least test the 2.3 RCs and gold in my dev to see what I can use from it.

Reactions: eL_
So nothing to do with big design change, just something related to width. Not much to see here, move on please

Will Ferrell Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

The current PWA mobile app is good and makes it a simple icon click away to access our forum but there needs to be a great improvement in video handling with future versions, the ability to utilise ffmpeg in post uploads/threads properly is a must and for it to instantly embed video for playing, none of this "insert attachment" business. Smooth and fast and easily sharable. Xenforo still lacks progress in the video department for me and our users.

none of this "insert attachment" business

I agree with this, 100%! I think these days the expectation is when you upload a photo/video, it's already added to your post. Maybe my users are the minority here, but I find they have a tough time remembering they need to click "Insert". Having 2 extra steps, after uploading, is a bit (n)...people, including me, are lazy and want things to be quicker/easier.

Maybe my users are the minority here, but I find they have a tough time remembering they need to click "Insert".
I've got one user that prefers to upload his images as attachments. God forbid if they get inserted into the post itself.

I agree with this, 100%! I think these days the expectation is when you upload a photo/video, it's already added to your post. Maybe my users are the minority here, but I find they have a tough time remembering they need to click "Insert". Having 2 extra steps, after uploading, is a bit (n)...people, including me, are lazy and want things to be quicker/easier.
It's not just your users, I have 300,000 people on a majority video site and they always complain it takes too many clicks to add multiple video attachments. It's not user friendly at all.

Old folks here in XF assume the majority of forum users prefer the old-fashioned way; if it works, don't innovate or change the system.
I manage several big boards, and most of the active users want similar features as the big tech social network.

Old folks here in XF assume the majority of forum users prefer the old-fashioned way; if it works, don't innovate or change the system.
I manage several big boards, and most of the active users want similar features as the big tech social network.
I think adding those features is definitely where things need to go in terms of improvements, but I also want them optional and without a major change to the core (i.e. a 3.x upgrade). If I want to run a traditional forum site, let me do it. If someone else wants to be more like Circle or some similar social media platform (and, to be clear, I find most of those platforms less robust and usable than Xenforo), then they can turn on those features or install the needed add-ons.

I think adding those features is definitely where things need to go in terms of improvements, but I also want them optional and without a major change to the core (i.e. a 3.x upgrade). If I want to run a traditional forum site, let me do it. If someone else wants to be more like Circle or some similar social media platform (and, to be clear, I find most of those platforms less robust and usable than Xenforo), then they can turn on those features or install the needed add-ons.
That's a good idea.
... to give customers the power to chose what they want from the new release.

Many people don't look for the insert attachment link and just hit post, so you end up downloading a video rather than watching it. Auto embed and squeezing video using ffmpeg (like the gallery does apparently) isn't asking for the world, but it will make a world of difference.

Honestly.. one of the BIGGEST things that personally chaps my ass about possible "major" undertakings by the XF developers is not knowing if I should blow $50 (that I could actually put towards a decent filter for my scopes) to buy a Group add-on (something that has been asked for for OVER a DECADE!) or if there was any contemplation by the XF developers of entering the 21'st century and making it, if not built in, a 1st party add-on. I mean is it REALLY that hard for them to indicate in the suggestion thread (especially after it being there for a decade) to "Go pound sand, we aren't going to do it" and you then know that you need to seek 3rd party development. So far, the old saying of "hope in one had, crap in the other" has applied..... the hope has been there, but the crap has FAR outweighed that hope. And this has carried over to MANY suggestions. If you aren't interested in implementing them, simply have the balls to say so and close the suggestion threads out as not planned. That way the admins KNOW to seek outside development for their needs.
I have a LOT of use for a fully functioning group feature (as honestly, probably many other topic specific sites do) and have been putting off contacting several local astronomical societies about joining since I don't have any ability to cater to them as a group natively, and would rather use a native 1st party process than depending on an outside 3rd party that could disappear in a puff of smoke.
I've been VERY supportive of XF and their (becoming blatantly obvious) laxity about getting updates out of the direction headed over the last two years of any general indicator of the heading of the script is, but in a nutshell, that inconsistency/refusal has reached the level of utter contempt for the license holders... when you get down to the basic nut-cutting, they REALLY now need to start giving some indicators to their licensed users of what they have planned.

The communications of future plans of XF has REALLY gotten crappy over the last few years. At least in the "old days" we kind of could gather from XF developer participation what might be contemplated.... but since XF developer participation in the forums seems to have delved down into the lower sewer level, license holders being left to guess/hope what "might" be there.... so MORE input from official channels should be occurring than was acceptable in the past. If we were talking 6 months between substantiative release, that would be one thing... but please... we are coming up on WELL more than that.
Oh, and yes, after a decade of being a licensed (and a strong proponent of XF) license holder, I'm pretty sure I have "status" to make comments on the lacking that I see. So honestly, if you finally see me *****ing about it... it's REALLY reached a point of being pitiful and needs to be addressed.

Am I going to "flee to another script"? Nope, but will this type of behavior encourage me to want to regularly renew... HELL no... why should I when I don't gain that much in around 2 years? The ONLY reason I recently renewed was I was working on bringing my site back active and wanted the most recent add-ons from @Bob, and that required the latest XF... there was not really anything in XF that brought me any benefit that would drove me to renew.
The XF "articles".. .please, a poor attempt... AMS beats the pants off it. There were VERY few "features" that the 2.2 brought to me over 2.1 that were (honestly) not of a substantiative benefit to ME (and not much over 2.0). Yes, it may have brought benefits to developers.. but guess what... most ADMINS are NOT developers... so guess where the concentration needs to be placed. It is NOT those developers that renew licenses yearly in large numbers. You need to be bringing stuff that is of actual benefit to your "bread & butter" and not concentrating so much on making it "easy" on your 3rd party developers... or simply own up that "we think that any "neat ****" needs to be provided by 3rd party".

Last edited:
The ideas they give me are:
  • They absolutely don't want to defragment their core software with new features, which would be a double-edged knife.
  • There is no desire or understanding among the leaders of the xenforo company for a prospective future.
  • They are trying to hand the business over to some other company.
EDIT:
  • They absolutely don't want to defragment their core software with new features
    =
  • They absolutely don't want to fragment their core software with new features

Last edited:
The ideas they give me are:
  • They absolutely don't want to defragment their core software with new features, which would be a double-edged knife.
  • There is no desire or understanding among the leaders of the xenforo company for a prospective future.
  • They are trying to hand the business over to some other company.
Don't really agree with any of these.. I think the MAIN issue is they simply don't know how to effectively communicate their vision for the future of the software, and simply keep putting off to committing on suggestions (like those that have been out for a decade) so that clients can make appropriate decisions.
They don't "fragment" (which is what I think you may have meant) their core software when they lay out a targeted direction.. in fact, they do just the opposite (which is defragment, which is what you stated) by incorporating more under the mainline code and not becoming dependent upon outside developers who may only be around for a few years (if that).

As for a "prospective future"... they may well have that.. what they have failed to do is relate that to their license holders... those people that KEEP them in business.

And I seriously doubt they are trying to hand their business over to a third party. I think what they are actually suffering from is growing pains and dysfunction of communications due to those growing pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom