XF 2.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You remember wrong. The customer showcase thing is from summer 2021, not from this summer (2022). So, in the past 18 months sth. has happened, I don't know.

The only thing I can come up with is that there are licensing issues like I believe we won't see the newer FontAwesome collections anymore. Or the Froala editor is a pain to deal with since it creates the most bugs from what I can see.

Perhaps something with the cloud service is not working.
Why would XF need a license to use FontAwesome fonts? The Free version can be downloaded and used however you like.

Why would XF need a license to use FontAwesome fonts? The Free version can be downloaded and used however you like.
  1. XF does not use the free version
  2. AFAIK you are not allowed to bundle FA with a commercial software (even not the free version) without paying them.

1. XF does not use the free version
  2. AFAIK you are not allowed to bundle FA with a commercial software (even not the free version) without paying them.

Hmm well I suppose if they were to use the free version they can add a step in the XF installer that fetches the free version for the user so that they aren't distributing it.

Look who created that thread... No need to tell me that.

I think XF has had a special license since they contributed to it when it was in kickstarter I believe. Or something like that, they had an early access special agreement.

But I think that agreement doesn't cover the new FontAwesome anymore.

I think XF has had a special license since they contributed to it when it was in kickstarter I believe. Or something like that, they had an early access special agreement.

But I think that agreement doesn't cover the new FontAwesome anymore.
Yeah, I read something like that written by a staff member some time ago as well. (y)

So, I will somewhat unofficially address some things that have been mentioned in this thread.

While we take on board the feedback about lack of communication, it wouldn’t really change where we are today, nor would it have necessarily directly addressed any of the conspiracy theories.
  • Mike left towards the end of the completion of the Cloud platform to which he contributed to.
  • Mike has not been happy as a developer (in general) for many years and he has taken extended breaks during the last few years.
  • There are no rifts between any members of the XF team.
  • XF continues to be independent and there has been no sale of involvement from anyone else.
  • We have been working daily on XF 2.3 and while it has taken longer than we wanted it is already not short of new features with some still in development.
  • if it takes another 9 months or more until we’re ready to show things then that’s how long it will take. We have work to do and we will complete that to our usual high standards before we feel ready to show it.
  • There is a significant change coming in 2.3 which I don’t want to give too much away about right now but it’s been in development and has been for the majority of 2022. It will be worth the wait but it isn’t ready to show you yet.
  • Meanwhile a lot of my time was taken up in 2022 on boarding new cloud customers, managing imports and migrations myself, performing a lot of the work around that and developing processes for those services and working on related tools for Cloud management. Most of this work is now complete and we’re working on handing the service side of Cloud over to support staff. I intend for the majority of my time in 2023 to be focused on XF 2.3 and planning for XF 2.4.
  • Comments about lack of communication notwithstanding, and as I say we do take that on board, it’s important to note that while the customers who post here we value deeply for your patience, long time patronage, and contributions you make here be that providing support, resource contributions, bug reporting, feedback/suggestions - everything you do; we still only see a relatively small portion of our customers here. While it might seem like everyone is angry at us and everyone has their pitchforks out and they’re battering our door down for news on XF 2.3, it just isn’t the case. Should we be quicker? Yes. Should we be more communicative? Yes. Are we losing customers because of it, is business suffering? No.
If I have missed anything specific that you feel needs addressing, let me know, but I hope that is it for now. Please stop the conspiracy theories or imagining some dramatic plot twist. It just isn’t there. We’ll continue working and work as hard and as quickly as we can to get 2.3 in your hands. We want that probably more than you do.

Yeah I did forget to address this. There are no weird third party license issues with Font Awesome or Froala.

However we do have a Font Awesome Pro license which has many more free icons than the free version.

This is probably why we’ll be remaining on FA5 for the foreseeable future, because there is no longer a suitable Font Awesome 6 Pro license and at this point we can’t really downgrade to free.

I haven’t complained that much in this thread. But I gotta say—especially since we’re in 2023 now—your silence and sarcasm is… atrocious? Yeah, that’s the word. 🤷

So, I will somewhat unofficially address some things that have been mentioned in this thread.

While we take on board the feedback about lack of communication, it wouldn’t really change where we are today, nor would it have necessarily directly addressed any of the conspiracy theories.
  • Mike left towards the end of the completion of the Cloud platform to which he contributed to.
  • Mike has not been happy as a developer (in general) for many years and he has taken extended breaks during the last few years.
  • XF continues to be independent and there has been no sale of involvement from anyone else.
  • We have been working daily on XF 2.3 and while it has taken longer than we wanted it is already not short of new features with some still in development.
  • if it takes another 9 months or more until we’re ready to show things then that’s how long it will take. We have work to do and we will complete that to our usual high standards before we feel ready to show it.
  • There is a significant change coming in 2.3 which I don’t want to give too much away about right now but it’s been in development and has been for the majority of 2022. It will be worth the wait but it isn’t ready to show you yet.
  • Meanwhile a lot of my time was taken up in 2022 on boarding new cloud customers, managing imports and migrations myself, performing a lot of the work around that and developing processes for those services and working on related tools for Cloud management. Most of this work is now complete and we’re working on handing the service side of Cloud over to support staff. I intend for the majority of my time in 2023 to be focused on XF 2.3 and planning for XF 2.4.
  • Comments about lack of communication notwithstanding, and as I say we do take that on board, it’s important to note that while the customers who post here we value deeply for your patience, long time patronage, and contributions you make here be that providing support, resource contributions, bug reporting, feedback/suggestions - everything you do; we still only see a relatively small portion of our customers here. While it might seem like everyone is angry at us and everyone has their pitchforks out and they’re battering our door down for news on XF 2.3, it just isn’t the case. Should we be quicker? Yes. Should we be more communicative? Yes. Are we losing customers because of it, is business suffering? No.
If I have missed anything specific that you feel needs addressing, let me know, but I hope that is it for now. Please stop the conspiracy theories or imagining some dramatic plot twist. It just isn’t there. We’ll continue working and work as hard and as quickly as we can to get 2.3 in your hands. We want that probably more than you do.

The Office Thank You GIF

Thanks for all the update @Chris D , this cleared up a lot of concerns. I am satisfied now, and look forward to 2.3. Keep up the good work Xenforo! :)

Comedy Central Thank You GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom