1. Have a look at the name / email address to see if it looks spammy (approval page)
2. Go to the user Account (edit user)
3. Check the Homepage and About sections because many spammers fill these in (personal details)
4. Check the signature because many spammers add a credit or link there too (profile info)
5. Click the 'More Users' link in the IP address section to see if the IP matches existing or banned users (IP Addresses)
This helps me filter out nearly every spammer and it's rare for any spammers or duplicate accounts to get past our Admins. However we've had days where we had 50+ users register in one day. Now that's a lot of times to repeat those 5 steps.
Would it be possible with XF 2.0 for us to specify what information we want displayed on the 'Users Awaiting Approval' section? Perhaps the ability to add specific profile fields and 'more users' displayed by default.
For example I would select the following info to be displayed for each account awaiting approval...
- Email Address
- About section
- IP Address
- More Users
This would save Admins a lot of time and effort.