XenSeo/vBSEO

Bram

The only thing that is keeping my back from purchasing xenforo is that we no longer can use our beloved vbseo.

It really added so much to our site that i am scared to give it up as migrating will most likely kill our backlinks we've build in the last years.

Will xenforo have a url system that equals vbseo?

Yes it would be ridiculous in beta. I think vBSEO are the ones who should provide a migration utility from vBSEO installations to xfSEO-equipped XF.
If they're not willing then maybe someone else might be willing to take it on, but vbSEO are the logical choice, based on my limited knowledge.
Mike has offered, though you can't expect him to do it for like a thousand people.

exactly. that is why we need a centralized place for the vbseo > vb link converter. so that there are no multiple efforts for the same code!

we can copy the codes already provided by vbseo folks and continue from there!

The more I think about it, the more I would be willing to just do a 301 redirect - I just wanna get off vB ASAP now. You shouldn't take too much of a hit - it is a big mistake (IMHO) not to have the forum titles in the URL though. No idea why they decided to omit that!

I think my URL structure is very standard (for an SEO rewrite). It goes like so:

webdesignforums.net/forum_name_ID#/thread_title_here_threadID#.html

This gets the forum name and thread name into the mix. And if a thread is moved, it can still be found because of the ID, which is always at the end with "_ID/". Obviously SEO is all trial and error, however from what I've gathered in my (all be it limited) experience, is that the more content relevant your URL is, the better.

i do not have the forum ID in the link structure. but i do have it in the thread structure. but i use a folder based system rather than .html. i also use folders for pages. that was a huge mistake i made at that time. :)

here are some examples!

broadbandforum.in/forum-and-blog-news/40305-india-broadband-forum-updates/25/
broadbandforum.in/forum-and-blog-news/40305-india-broadband-forum-updates/
broadbandforum.in/forum-and-blog-news/
broadbandforum.in/

a double redirect would be needed for a couple of weeks to cope up with hits from search engines and links embedded on forum and third party sites.

once search engines has updated the indexed pages... those would only be used when older links are clicked that are embedded in the forum and other sites. :)

i think for most of us, the incoming hits from search engines is the priority. links embedded on external sites are going to be very few in comparison.

True, however a double redirect isn't ideal - it would have a bit of a performance hit initially.
That is actually very true. There is no way to convert vBSEO urls without multiple 301 redirects to any other platform and this is a trivial task for heavily indexed sites as multiple 301 redirects will cause them loosing their SE rankings and possibly major traffic.

There is no way to convert vBSEO urls without multiple 301 redirects to any other platform and this is a trivial task for heavily indexed sites as multiple 301 redirects will cause them loosing their SE rankings and possibly major traffic.
Yes, it can be done with a single 301 for each and every URI. Mod_rewrite needs to pipe all old URIs into a script that can relate old to new and 301. You create this script (and a relevant database mapping old IDs to new ones) when you import.

I don't think you meant it was trivial.

Yes, it can be done with a single 301 for each and every URI. Mod_rewrite needs to pipe all old URIs into a script that can relate old to new and 301. You create this script (and a relevant database mapping old IDs to new ones) when you import.

I don't think you meant it was trivial.
This has actually helped. I'm sure if needed I can put together a script to do this. You would just edit your htaccess to redirect al non-xenforo URL's through a php file. The file looks at the URL request, and redirects accordingly based on how your vbSEO structure worked.

Ok, panic over - this will be VERY simple to do :)

(although keeping your existing URL's will be near impossible - you will likely have to adopt the XF url structure)

... if you can get the codes from vbseo > vb, XF would carry on from there. so there are no major issues.
Whoa, very good point, OM!

i plan to contact them and see if they can provide some codes for my own installation.
I sure hope you'll post your results back to this thread, as I'm watching it and would like to know how that goes.
This is a critical path issue for me (as it is for many I'm sure), so thanks again.

btw, I noticed that Mert was an actual vBSEO developer after my last post, big LOL. I'm sure he's right, I just need to know why it cannot be done in a single 301. However, I'd rather just have vBSEO available for XF.

Top Bottom